What would you feed???

jotesh

Visit site
Wondering what others would feed....

Currently feeding my 5 year old 16.3hh showjumper:

Morning - 1/2 (round) scoop Hunter Mix and 1 scoop chaff

Night - 1 scoop Mix and 1 scoop chaff

She is a good doer, goes out every day but thing is she is lazy!!

Never had this issue all my others on go-slow mix as whizzy, not sure whether feeding enough or if should be feeding something different (will have sugar beet in winter). Just need a bit more sparkle esp when jumping bigger... Thoughts???

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
8 Year old andy X Tb and 18 year old Conn x TB (my sisters horse) get the following.

Morning - grass, and a handful of feed each just to keep them coming up to you in the morning
smile.gif

Evening - less than half a scoop of light comp mix (allen and page) plus some Kossolian blood salts. Sisters horse gets a few oats (rolled I think?) too, mine does not need them though!
grin.gif

Grass 24/7 and thats it
smile.gif

I am doing a PN in sept, sister is doing and intro, they get ridden 5/6 times a week, and will be re-registering BSJA for the winter season. I would maybe give her less, but higher energy (although I am not familiar with what a hunter mix contains?) I would recommend the allen and page light comp mix though, no extra weight really, but that little extra va va voom when you need it
smile.gif

Although they can start getting their winter coats through now which can make them more lethargic. Ours were clipped in July (in a week when it was sunny
grin.gif
). Maybe try a supplement? Kossolian is meant to be good for them, esp in the transitional periods of spring and autumn. I'm sure other people will recommend lots more of those though
wink.gif

Also, the grass is prob quite nutrient poor at the moment, just wait for the september flush
smile.gif

jotesh

Visit site
Sorry for ignorance but what is hunter mix and who makes it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its our local feed merchant Equimix's light competition mix - contains some oats.

Not actually had her weighed the weighbridge is miles from here!

mccarron6769

Visit site
Have you thought of having her blood tested? I had aTB X mare who I always considered lazy but eventually had her bloody tested and she was short on selenium. Once she had a selenium supplement she was like a different horse and had loads of energy. Just a thought because its not always the feed
laugh.gif

mossy

Visit site
One of my show jumpers was a tad on the idle side, but could also be a bit spooky so i wanted something to boost his energy without making him silly, tried comp mixes etc, but found spillers slow release energy cubes to work best for him, i fiddled around with how much til i got it just right!! Oh and i now keep him in the day before a competition.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
If you don't know how much she weighs how do you know you're feeding her the right amount and also giving her the correct amount of wormer???

A weight tape you be good enough for you.

It may be that all you have to do is increase her feed by 1/2 a scoop a day but until you know how much she weighs then it's only just guess work!