what would you honestly do?

genie

Visit site
Hi......not been on for a while.....not sure if this is the right place to post.

Anyway, I have 2 youngsters for sale...both are not for a novice and states clearly this in the ad.

Had a woman ringing wanting to view.asks all the right questions.tells me what she is looking for asks if my animals may be suitable and open to vet etc...I tell her the truth as accurately as I can do....my horses have been with me for some time and I do care where they end up and want good homes for them and for them to go on to good careers.

The woman arrives with 2 teenagers in tow....who I dislike immediately.not a good enough reason to not sell though....but...these teenagers are out horsed here and just not experienced enough to handle these horses...I am sure something quieter would be much more suitable for them.and I tell them so.

The woman asks how much for both horses(???) All I can see is heartache here for the horses, they are far too much for these people to handle.the woman insists she wants both of them and asks me to reccommend a vet.

I ask her to go away and think about things.,..she just wants to talk money..I tell her I don't think this is a good idea and tell her why...I offer her a tel number for someone else who I feel will be able to help her out.she won't have any of it and demands that I sell her mine cos her daughters"just have to have".

I asked the woman to leave as gently as I could.....she is one unhappy bunny and the atmosphere as she left was not very pleasant.....really didn't want to cause offence but they just wouldn't listen. feel a bit mean just now.maybe I did the wrong thing?

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
No, you did the right thing. Don't feel guilty, if they were not right for your two horses then it is up to you where they go.
They would only come back to you in a few weeks moaning that you had sold them unsuitable horses!
Pity more people are not like you.
smile.gif

runaway

Visit site
Good for you genie I totally agree with your decision. At the end of the day I personally think that disliking a person IS good enough reason not to sell them your horses. They are your's to sell and you can choose who to sell them to. It is not the buyers place to demand that you sell the horses to them!

Although you are selling you have to be happy with the choice you make on behalf of your horses so I give you a BIG pat on the back for standing up and going with your gut instinct. It's her loss not yours
wink.gif

bensababy

Visit site
Without doubt you done the right thing. You know deep down whats good for your horses, and if your instincts told you straight away you were not going to sell them to her then good on you for sticking to it.
Some people have more money than sense.
confused.gif

Nosey

Visit site
You did the right thing and am sure you handled it as well as you possibly could. I did something similar a few years ago selling a 4 yo and someone who tried him couldn't even do rising trot
shocked.gif
!! When I told them they weren't suitable i got a torrent of abuse and when i said I cared for the horse and wanted him to be placed correctly was told I couldn't care about him at all otherwise I wouldn't be selling (horse grew up to be a hand and a half shorter than his full brother therefore too small!!).
I am sure the right person will show up in the end and you will have no hesitation parting with him!!

Rachy07

Visit site
You definately did the right thing. Some people do not want to take no for an answer and are unable to see when they are over-horsed. You don't have any reason to feel bad at all, they're your horses at the end of the day and it's up to you who you sell them to. well done for not letting people put you under pressure
laugh.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No, you did the right thing. Don't feel guilty, if they were not right for your two horses then it is up to you where they go.
They would only come back to you in a few weeks moaning that you had sold them unsuitable horses!
Pity more people are not like you

[/ QUOTE ]

i totally agree with this, nice succinct answer

Queenbee

Visit site
you did the right thing.

I advertised a spunky show cob, not novice ride blah, blah, blah. I had two people in particular come to look that spring to mind:

the first was a very experienced elderly genttleman who was dying, he could hardly walk, it was his dearest wish to buy a cob, that he could share with his granddaughter and leave to her, he intended to ride, this would never have been possible (he could hardly walk), his granddaughter just wasn't enough of a rider. Still he started talking price and when could he pick her up.

The second was a woman who turned up in brand new gear, almost fell off when she got on and said 'when i grip with my knees she stops', she couldn't rise to the trot and collapsed of the horse... not dismounted, again saying when and how much!

I will always refuse to really talk 'sale' i will ask that the buyer goes away and has a think. I have also been a great believer in people coming up and having a ride in the school, on a hack, seeing them handle the horse in the field, yard and stable... but then again my horses are my babies, and never novice rides. I don't think it is unreasonable for the current owner to need to be 110% certain that they are going to the right home

good luck
smile.gif

keekee

Visit site
Good for you i would of done exactly the same the horses would probably have had a terrible time or bucked 1 of them off and been moved on you know when someone is right and when someone isnt and you saw that they wernt but hopefully the right person will come along very soon Good Luck!! xx