What would you look for in an ex racehorse to event?

kirstyl

Visit site
LEC I love the fact that you say Presenting as your sire of choice. My boy is by presenting and I think his eventing potential is going to be limited by my riding rather than his ability- he is the complete package so I would echo this if you can find one.

I too love Presenting offspring. I actually found a pointer to buy two years ago by Presenting and I was so excited as he was stunning and a really nice boy. Sadly failed the vet so wasn't to be. Is yours big, dark and handsome, Christine?

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Ditto everyones comments on the bloodlines!

Also a crucial point is who trained the horse and who bred the horse.
I would not touch horses from certain trainers and certain studs,because of the way they have brought horses up and then trained them.
Never underestimate how hard some of these trainers are on their horses .
Because of their early start it is difficult enough to find a ex race that will stay sound let alone had a hard trainer as well.

Another tip when buying is to choose one with a good posture that does not look locked in it's neck and back . Also a good neck and strong looking back is a bonus.

tristar

Visit site
oh yes the strong back, one of the most important things for me is the very strong loins, would not breed from any other confo, its lacking in a lot of horses, although a lot of showjumpers are not strong there strangely enough, and long in the back, but i would not breed from that as i want to breed on, the next generation, and for me it is a serious fault i don't need, mainly because its one of the first things i look for in a horse, after studying the head for character, i just love those strong loins and big quarters.

Firewell

Visit site
Iv'e heard that as well as Bold Ruler and Prince Chevalier, Buckpasser, Gey Soverign (sp?) are good lines to look out for as well as Mr prospector?!

TBH though, make sure you see through skinnyness and no muscles and look at the bones.

My ex-racer looked like this when I first saw him, I didnt even look at his breeding as I hadn't researched it then anyway like I have now. He didnt look anything really (other than a cute face!) but I choose him because of the reasons I said in my last post:-

14331_210084985209_503675209_4328824_1824303_n.jpg

and he looks like this now:-

250269_10150257155360210_503675209_8960322_7129151_n.jpg

315403_10150337113695210_503675209_9734688_263769_n.jpg

and he finds jumping easy:-

207983_10150192172480210_503675209_8469421_329846_n.jpg

It was only afterwards when learning about TB breeding for sports horses did I realise he had Buckpasser and Bold ruler and Mr prospector in his breeding. He was a flat racer but only raced once.

My late mare ex-racer again I didnt have a clue about TB breeding but she had better breeding than the chestnut with Bold Ruler in both lines, Grey soverign, Prince chevalier and furioso on both sides, this was her (She got her grey coat from grey soverign):-

230853_4751335209_503675209_262174_9673_n.jpg

n503675209_1953616_9563.jpg

I knew nothing about her breeding when I choose her either, I just liked her. She was bright and clever. She wasn't easy though and iv'e heard that about Grey Soverign horses so that might be something to bear in mind, she was fab though.

leflynn

Visit site
I'm mooching in here out of interest as all this breeding malarky is starting to get interesting! I'm pleased to see my Boy has Mr Prospector lines yay - wonder if this accounts for the fact that as a flat racer he jumps well? :D Either way I'm happy :D

Again I bought the Boy as he was willing and clever and was happy to try anything!

FFF

Visit site
Just reading this out of interest and I agree with most points above :) I got my ex racehorse 8 weeks ago, she is by Norwich and wasn't going for an ex racehorse at all but she has been fab. She had some 2nds and 3rds over hurdles in Ireland but never really did any good. Agree that temprement is one of the most important things as she is unbeliveabley laid back, does spook a bit at silly things but providing I don't panic or twitch she is fine!

I would just make sure they have a nice round jump as I was told that this is why many eventers have poles down SJ because the TB in the horses is why they jump flatter (not sure if this is completley true but does make sense?!). Would definetley say that comformation is so important (owners we bought my horse off didn't even know she had had a tendon injury despite the fact you can see it slightly, but looking at her record she came back after injury to race again) and we saw several ex racehorses and were surprised at how bad their hooves were for some of them!

Last edited:

Ali16

Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys! What a fountain of breeding knowledge! :p

My little mare sold over the weekend (with 24 hrs of going online!! :eek:) and so we are officially on the hunt for another ex racer. Going over to a couple of yards during the next week as have been offered some OK looking ones, but want to make sure that I really get on with my next one.

Will let you know what we pick up!!:D

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Dealing with the racehorses we have at work, of a yard of 22 horses at the moment there are 3 of which I look at and think I'd quite like to take them home as an eventer. No particular common factors in their breeding - 1 is NH bred, 2 are flat bred. The geldings are both big liver chestnuts one by Indian Ridge and the other by Marignan. The filly is an unusually large one by Barathea.

The thing they all have in common is that they have fantastic natural, round, scopey jumps. There are also a couple of 2yos who in time look like they would possibly make nice event types, one is a tiny little filly by Montjeu who is very brave yet totally sane, and the other is a Red Clubs filly, bred to sprint but is a big rangey sort and again, forward and sane.

My own 2 horses show that breeding doesn't always mean a lot - my NH bred mare jumps flat, and although she is very bold she doesn't take enough care over things. My flat bred gelding has scope to jump a house.

If I was buying another one there are 5 things I think I would look for..

1. jumping technique - would ask to see it loose schooled or pop a pole under saddle, natural style over a fence is very hard to change, and if they have it then you are at a HUGE advantage.
2. forwardness - would not touch anything nappy/jibby with a bargepole. May be possible to turn them around, but wouldn't personally take the risk.
3. paces - got to have a reasonable trot and canter. don't care about outline so long as their head isn't stuck up in the air with an awful mouth. Wouldn't go looking for flashy movement, correct movement can be developed.
4. attitude - anything really really buzzy is going to be tricky to sort (have made that mistake!)
5. legs/feet - can deal with less than perfect conformation, scars, lumps and bumps... but would only take something on whose legs felt alright and weren't stuck on wonky!

I probably wouldn't worry about breeding at all, nor about vices or even minor conformation faults so long as they didn't effect soundness. I also wouldn't worry too much if the horse had run as a 2yo so long as they weren't hammered. There are certain trainers horses who I wouldn't touch - most of the 'big' yards sadly. I would also pick a flat racer over a NH horse who had run a lot as often hard to change their jumping style. Bumper horses are ideal though.

I picked my grey boy mainly as I watched his 3 attempts at hurdle races and saw him spend about 10 minutes in the air basculing over every hurdle!!

I also think that horses who have been genuine and shown ability in their races are often much better eventers than those who have been useless/slow/ungenuine. Unfortunately this also means you have to deal with old injuries etc.

Charem

Visit site
Another vote for Bold Ruler in the blood. I was stable lass to one a couple years ago, he was stunning. He had that look at me quality, beautiful shoulder, neck and quarters, plus he was an absolute machine on the gallops. He was also an incredibly intelligent horse, I wouldn't have minded taking that one home.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Out of interest as I bought my TB to event, what do those of you who know about sires think about Josr Algarhoud, Darshaan, Shirley Heights, Try My Best, Soviet Star and Henbit?

tia55

Visit site
Brave, inquisitive & as said above a good brain! If they've got the mind set you can use that to do anything! Athletic, freemoving/elastic paces for the dressage & good feet and legs :D A forward thinking mind is a must! Make sure you really get a good idea of the horse before you buy :) hope this helps!

paddi22

Visit site
my lad is by darshaan, i got him planning to event but i don't think he's naturally suited to it.

He is not naturally confident in himself, he overthinks stuff instead of being forward, is nappy and he panics a bit at times. He also isn't neat over jumps at all.

Saying that he has gorgeous paces and seems a natural for dressage. He is also a dote on the ground and has one of the loveliest personalities you could ever meet.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
Brave, with sparkle would be my ideal, have had lots, most lacking one element of the package! Have to say I also prefer NH bred, my eventer is by seclude, plenty of scope, limited sparkle & very complex in the confidence stakes, one minute he's on fire,
split second later the lights have gone out!! Most talented was an
executive perk, but such a stress
head he never made it out
eventing, and hadn't the best feet! 3yo is flat bred, by reel buddy out of a danetime mare, as laid back as you come & going nicely, has walked over poles so we shall see, (home bred & showed none of the talent of his half sister so I have stolen him)

I'd also avoid anything from a family of hard pullers

glamourpuss

Visit site
Both my boys I've gone for on a 'hunch'.

My first lad is the complete opposite of everything I was looking for, but he seemed such a nice person I wanted to take him home. He's been brilliant and the only thing that ever held him back was me. Kind, brave. scopey, so keen to please (I joke he would jump off the earth if I asked him to) - His sire is Most Welcome and whilst not the flashiest of horses I'd have another in a second.
I've come across another couple of Most Welcome progeny out of racing and both their owners raved about their trainability so possibly something from their sire.

My other boy is the flashiest mover you have ever seen in a TB. He is naturally uphill and finds everything 'oh so easy'. I've yet to be convinced thought that he is totally on my side. His sire is Man among Men (Sadler's Wells).

tristar

Visit site
grey sovereign is by sovereign path, so he's in my breeding on my stallions side, also i have right flare on the female side who produced a lot of lovely stock some years ago, but a french lady i know used to own soviet star but he was sold to ireland i think so i only saw an oil painting of him in her house, but he was utterly stunning shiny bay

ElleandAdair

Visit site
I have a Darshaan too and would completely agree with paddi22 comments - mine is by Rock of Gibraltar and can be very hot/panicy/nappy/sharp away from home etc but in the stable and generally at home is an absolute gem. His downfall in racing was an ingenuine attitude on the track rather than a lack of ability. In hindsight would have gone for one without an 'attitude problem'! We have done 2 BEs but only up to 90 and I doubt he will have the confidence to go xc much higher than that but who knows...giving him the benefit of another half a season. Stunning very dark brown horse though with fab paces and keen showjumper, when calm can do a great round but doesn't feel like he'd jump much higher than 1.2m or make wide spreads.
I love the French chaser stamp but they tend to be very expensive!