What would you pay/ have paid for livery ?

LK2015

New User
Visit site
Hello

Just wanting to know what people think is a fair price for a range of livery prices for the following facilities

Small private yard with
Stable
Grazing (horses can be turned out all year for at least a few hours usually all day)
Small ménage
Good hacking
Feed/tack/hay/bedding storage

For
*DIY
*Assisted DIY - either am feed, rug change turnout
or
Pm bring in, rug change, get pick out, pm feed
(options 5 day or 7 day)
* Part livery (feeds, turnout/bring in rug changes, muck out)
options 5day or 7 day

I feel the definitions of certain liveries has changed to what I used to know so have described them as other local yards.

Thank you

Greylegs

Visit site
I'm on a part livery arrangement, with similar facilities to those you describe (except we also have an indoor). My arrangement is for the yard to do "full" livery 5 days and I do weekends myself. This comprises feed/rug change/turn out/muck out in the morning, and bring in/pick feed/rug change/feed p.m. Also, horse comes in to full hay nets/water etc. I pay £310 per month for this, including all hay, but buy my own feed/shavings.

OP, you are correct when you say different yards define full livery, DIY and part livery differently. If you're thinking of offering these services, you need to be clear with prospective customers exactly what you are providing and when ... and what they are expected to do/provide themselves.

Evie91

Visit site
I was on part - paid £90 a week - for turnout, bring in, rug changes, groomed, hooves picked, hold for vet, farrier,dentist, bedding, feed.
School was huge, hacking was ok - all off road which was fab. Fantastic yard, knowledgable and friendly staff and liveries.
Think it was a very good price for an excellent service :)
Don't know about DIY.

AngieandBen

Visit site
I used to charge £25 a week DIY, lovely stone built stables, all year turnout, 24/7/ 365 if wanted. Lovely hacking, lots of storage. £30 a week for above but with Turn out and feed either am or pm. £70 a week for full holiday cover. No feed/bedding/hay included

PolarSkye

Visit site
The most I have paid for full livery, including being ridden three days a week, horse groomed, tack cleaned, all bedding and feed, etc. is about £700 a month . . . he was very well looked after (I was working in London and travelling a lot), but I wouldn't do it again . . hardly saw him and didn't feel like I had a horse. Not the yard's fault . . . just how I felt.

P

SO1

Visit site
I think these comparisons are always difficult as it will depend in what area you are and what local competition you have and no two yards are the really the same.

The nearer you are to London, the more experienced the staff there are, the better the grazing and more bespoke the livery you have, the more you will probably pay.

I think the standard rate for day cover for all services is about £7-10 a day on top of box rent. So for box rent of £35 plus services would expect for 7 day basic part livery without feeds, hay and bedding to be at least £105 a week. I would expect you would be doing the poo picking as well if people were on the 7 part livery

I think the price of the assisted will somewhat depend on how far the fields are and if you can bring more than one horse in at time. If you have to make a separate journey for each horse that is going to be more time consuming than if you can get 2 at a time. The first yard I was at was a riding school as well as livery yard 1 person would often bring 3 or 4 horses in at a time Cost of catching and in and turning out depended on which field they were in, it was £10 to catch or turnout when they were in far field, in middle field it was £5 and for the near field it was £2.50.

One of my friends is on a similar sounding small private assisted diy yard. Her livery is £130 a month, poo picking is £1 a day extra, turnout is £1 and full services is £7 a day. However the fields are almost outside the stables and the YO can turnout or catch in more than one at a time. You have to buy you own bedding, hay and feeds in.

I am on 7 day part livery and pay about £600 a month includes full services including bank holidays, and all year turnout, poo picking big stables, big school that is harrowed and maintained, full set of SJ, nice big field, deep beds with bedding included and also immaculate, and as much feed and hay as you need/want. Also includes hold for farrier and be there for vet if needed and going on the walker if extra exercise is needed. My pony is a bit high maintenance though as he is a good doer so although he is not having as much feed or hay as the big horses he does wear a grazing muzzle a lot of the year which needs to be put on and taken off and he has part of his hay ration as soaked hay which is more work than he was just on dry hay. I know a lot of part livery yards won't do soaked hay or put grazing muzzle as that is extra work. Also very experienced staff and owner who are not afraid to deal with difficult horses and know what they are doing and can provide advice and support.

Last edited:

RainbowDash

Visit site
Locally full DIY for the above is £25 per week.

Assisted £25 plus approx £10 per day of full care only - £6 for rug change and feed.

Full Livery £230 - £375 depending on size of pony/horse.

All above based on non-grass turnout with hay during winter and full grazing May to Oct/Nov.