What would you think, re dodgy seller.

crazycorkey

Visit site
Hi all,
Last week I went to view a horse (advertised on here) and the viewing went absolutely perfectly. By the time we had returned from a short hack I had pretty much decided he was the one for me. Anyway the seller was very much on board until I suggested I would leave a deposit returnable only if the horse fails the vetting. She didn't want the deposit as she had to talk with her partner.
By this point of course alarm bells are ringing and my feeling was right. The next day she text me telling me that she had had another viewing and they wanted to purchase ASAP at the full price but without a vetting. She then went on to ask me if I would accept those terms as I had turned up first.
Erm, no, was basically the short answer. Crying shame really as he had the most comfortable canter going!

We left things very amicably and I asked her to let me know if the 'sale' falls through or anything changes.
Would you run for the hills or attempt to find out more info re why she wants to avoid a vetting?
I'm clutching at straws I think as I do really like him.
Many thanks in advance.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You have had a very close encounter with disaster. There will be a very good reason why the vendor does not want a vetting.

Walk away and forget the horse.

zaminda

Visit site
As she has tried to avoid a vetting I would be wanting one done as I have a suspicious mind. I would also wonder about it being given something to help it through the vetting and my experience is that vets are loath to test blood samples claiming it is very expensive.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
yeh sounds like he'd fail a vetting!! its not like its going to take you weeks to get it all sorted you could have got one arranged very quickly and if he'd passed you could have been bring him home this weekend!

smja

Visit site
The ONLY reason to refuse a vetting at buyer's expense is if seller knows it will definitely fail. You did the right thing!

crazycorkey

Visit site
Yes I would have to agree with everybody.
Also strangely she increased the advertised purchase price from £2000 which I thought cheap for his type up to £3750 within days of the viewing.

Whilst I always take what sellers say with a huge pinch of salt, this one really seemed genuine.

Mentioning a vetting is such a useful tool. Really I should have mentioned it initially on the phone, would have saved me a 6 hour journey.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
It's definitely sounds like they are avoiding a vetting so must suspect something is wrong. Or horse is on pain killers or sedation.

Really I don't thing there is anything you can do.
The other buyers (if they exist) are fools to not vet the horse.
If she contact stop again saying hirse is available, insist on a vetting!

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
yeh sounds like he'd fail a vetting!! its not like its going to take you weeks to get it all sorted you could have got one arranged very quickly and if he'd passed you could have been bring him home this weekend!

It has nothing to do with the speed of getting a vet in. It is a vendor using a well known and used tactic of claiming that the horse has attracted a lot of interest and is about to be sold to someone who does not want a vetting, by claiming this is happening a clever vendor can manipulate a keen, and perhaps inexperienced purchaser, into making a hasty and unwise decision to buy the horse because the purchaser fears losing the horse to someone else.

I sold a horse many years ago and it did attract a huge interest so I was not making anything up. I had a young lady who was very taken by the horse, who was a very big and powerful hunter. I told her quite truthfully that several people had made offers on the horse over the weekend that he was viewed and tried. All the others would send the horse to the vet, she decided she wanted him and did not vet him, I accepted £350 under the asking price, he was not a cheap horse.

She collected him the next day and a week later wanted to return him stating he was too strong and he made a noise. Correct on both counts and an instructor would have told her the first, a vetting the second. Caveat Emptor.

I am not a dealer, never have been. The horse was just too much for me and had frightened the living daylights out of me. Had he been suitable I would have hobdayed him.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't agree to those terms and would definitely walk away from the sale.

But to play Devils advocate they might not necessarily be dodgy

If as a seller you had 2 interested parties one of which would pay full amount without vetting and the other wanted to wait for a vetting then provided the former seemed suitable then I'd sell to them. Maybe seller liked you better hence offering you the chance to meet the best offer?

Or maybe they are dodgy as hell.

9tails

Visit site
I sold a horse many years ago and it did attract a huge interest so I was not making anything up. I had a young lady who was very taken by the horse, who was a very big and powerful hunter. I told her quite truthfully that several people had made offers on the horse over the weekend that he was viewed and tried. All the others would send the horse to the vet, she decided she wanted him and did not vet him, I accepted £350 under the asking price, he was not a cheap horse.

When I bought my horse, the seller also had an offer on the table of full price without vetting. She told me she didn't feel the other buyer was a good fit and waited for me to have her vetted. I wouldn't have been swayed to not have a vetting, but the seller could have had the money without the hassle.

crazycorkey

Visit site
I really don't believe anyone came to view the horse, I think she was just hoping I would cave and buy it without a vetting. Nope not happening!

If anyone is looking at a 5 year old, 16hh grey irish sports pm me and I will send over the link to the ad.

crazycorkey

Visit site
As she has tried to avoid a vetting I would be wanting one done as I have a suspicious mind. I would also wonder about it being given something to help it through the vetting and my experience is that vets are loath to test blood samples claiming it is very expensive.

Yep I'm incredibly suspicious of what seller say or don't say in some instances.
I actually laughed when I received her text, it was all so painfully obvious.

Mole1

Visit site
When I was horse shopping I'd book to see a horse and by the time my day came the horse had always been sold. So I booked to see one a week away and when I phoned them to confirm horse still available expecting to be told sorry she's sold, they said I was the only person who had phoned up about her! Meant to be I guess as bought the horse and 8yrs down the line I cldnt be happier with my choice.
There are a lot of horses out there I'd keep looking if they are not happy with a vetting.

SpringArising

Visit site

If as a seller you had 2 interested parties one of which would pay full amount without vetting and the other wanted to wait for a vetting then provided the former seemed suitable then I'd sell to them

Me too. I hate standing around in the rain at vettings!

popsdosh

Visit site
If you really want to know get somebody else to ring up! If I was selling I always say first to pay up gets the horse vetted or not ,been messed about to much in the past by buyers who change their minds. Its amazing what vets can find wrong when their client changes their mind . There are always two sides to it ,if your not happy with what they want nobody is forcing you to buy it and they dont have to sell to you if they can do better. I wont take deposits either as its a pain when it goes pear shaped .Im straight with people and if they get a vetting within a few days thats ok but until thats confirmed somebody can walk into the yard and walk out with it if they wish to

_OC_

Visit site
Do you know this really pee's me off why send a text.....WHY NOT PHONE and talk to you.......guess I was lucky with the dealer I dealt with, was told she had a lot of interest and when it came to vetting my Vet said he was not surprised.

old hand

Visit site
I always say I will be getting it vetted and will run bloods before I even go to see the horse if I don't know the people, it is surprising how often the horse is suddenly sold or withdrawn from the market!!

Michen

Visit site
Ha when I bought my mare she supposedly had a viewing the next morning. She had already passed a 5 stage vet the week before. Oh how I wish I had never bought her- I don't believe for one second there was anyone viewing her the next day!

honetpot

Visit site
I do not sell very often, I always say they can have the vet but if someone turns up with the cash first that's the one I sell to, if I think its a suitable home.
If the vender priced to sell and had lots of interest I can understand why she preferred a clean sale rather than wait a week for someone to arrange a vet and then there is always the chance it could fail, or the buyer change their mind.
Buyers can be s*** to. I agreed a price on a pony, it passed the vetting and then when they collected grandma was haggling over the price whilst the grandkids were bandaging it up to travel. They then sold it 18months later for over £1500 more than they paid for it as it was a bargain when I sold it.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If I had a well loved horse that I was selling and wanted it to go to a nice long term home than I would thoroughly recommend to the purchasers to have it vetted so that there was no doubt of it's condition at the time of sale and I would then also know there were less chances of any comebacks.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Agree with Peter. As a seller I prefer the buyer to have the horse vetted. A friend of mine sold a horse last year that she genuinely believed to be fit and healthy. The buyer didn't have her vetted and the horse dropped dead two weeks later in the buyer's care. Of course there were ructions!

Kathy657

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't agree to those terms and would definitely walk away from the sale.

If as a seller you had 2 interested parties one of which would pay full amount without vetting and the other wanted to wait for a vetting then provided the former seemed suitable then I'd sell to them. Maybe seller liked you better hence offering you the chance to meet the best offer?

Or maybe they are dodgy as hell.

It may well be that someone else was interested in buying without a vetting. In fact someone has just bought my horse and didn't have her vetted.
I've never had a horse vetted myself either including a 3 yr old we bought for 10K. She went on to pass a 5* vetting when we sold her. Have never had any problems with any horse we have purchased either.

Kathy657

Visit site
I always say I will be getting it vetted and will run bloods before I even go to see the horse if I don't know the people, it is surprising how often the horse is suddenly sold or withdrawn from the market!!

Blimey that could work out expensive. You might not even like the horse when you see it in the flesh.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Perhaps she means if she's going to buy it she tells them she will have it vetted and bloods run. Lots of posts where people take things literally do make me laugh. Most times it's the way people write them

crazycorkey

Visit site
It may well be that someone else was interested in buying without a vetting.

I think in this case she just wanted to avoid the horse being vetted at all.
I'm almost certain she made up the other purchaser in a futile attempt to make me panic buy. It really is the oldest trick in the book.
Also the horse is still for sale.