Whatever happened to string cooler rugs

Spudlet

Visit site
The ones like horsey string vests. Does no one use them any more? When I was studying for a BHS stage (so long ago I can't even remember which one - it was the uni riding club and we never did the exam!) we were meant to use them under other rugs when the horse was wet, the theory being that they allowed air to circulate and therefore the horse would dry. What happened to them, I never see them any more (and am totally out of the loop on rugging!):)

Kat

Visit site
I've got one! DH had it from years ago, and although I laughed at him for being old fashioned (he calls turn out rugs New Zealands too) it is the best thing for drying a wet horse. Best under a fleece with nothing on top of the fleece.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Brilliant things, I've got loads of them! We used them for the hunters because you could rug them up fully on top of a string vest, they dried out beautifully and never "broke out" later in the evening. I still use them for this reason. It saves having to re-rug a tired horse late at night when your fleece etc has wicked away the moisture leaving it soaking wet on top. The other advantage to the string vests is that they are so cheap! :)

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I resurrected a 30 yr old one which had been in a trunk in the garage. Brilliant used under a fleece for drying off wet horse. Only problem is it only has a front strap - nothing under the belly so you can't leave for too long unattended in case it slips. They were intended for the days when we all used rollers:D

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I resurrected a 30 yr old one which had been in a trunk in the garage. Brilliant used under a fleece for drying off wet horse. Only problem is it only has a front strap - nothing under the belly so you can't leave for too long unattended in case it slips. They were intended for the days when we all used rollers:D

Just get a little elastic surcingle and also use a fillet string with it although a rug on top should hold it well.

Great rugs, still have and use them.

Pat10

Visit site
I've still got one I use under a summer sheet instead of a fleece on my pony who rolls for England when she's wet or sweaty. Can't be doing with fleeces full of shavings.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Technology has moved on! Basically they work by creating pockets of air (which is why I always laugh when I see a horse with one and nothing on top - total waste of time!!). Things like Thermatex/smartwool/coolex do the same thing but do it better, because they have more pockets of air.

Kat

Visit site
Technology has moved on! Basically they work by creating pockets of air (which is why I always laugh when I see a horse with one and nothing on top - total waste of time!!). Things like Thermatex/smartwool/coolex do the same thing but do it better, because they have more pockets of air.

Ah but Thermatex etc are sooooooo expensive for a thin rug that a horse can easily and quickly trash. Where as I can get a fleece and string vest combination for less than £20 all in, so can afford to have spares and I don't need to cry if she rips the thing to bits and I can easily wash them myself at home.

The principle of a string vest is still sound for humans and horses, whether you go for that or a modern techincal fabric or something like merino depends largely on budget and personal taste.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I could never figure out how they worked without a rug on top, but I'm a bit simple like that :rolleyes:

I wonder how they compare to the mesh type that posie_honey uses?

*hastily scribbles it onto the To Buy List*

I have a cheaper version of the Thermatex for the Dizz, but it's only for show really as she's not clipped :rolleyes::D.

We have fleeces, but never leave the horses in the stable with them, or overnight. They don't sit right and stay right for leaving the horse alone - I guess I'm just paranoid for some reason about them. I think some of the string vests are needed! :D

Fools Motto

Visit site
I have two old ones. A white and a blue. Still use them when horse is wet/sweaty, after hunting (when I go hunting) and even after XC too. Brilliant things. Often the old things are still the best. I too, smile when I see others using them.

bumblelion

Visit site
I forgot all about those, they were amazingly good considering what they were! I'v got an amigo mesh one but very rarely use it, tend to use my fleeces or thematex's. May have to pop onto ebay though and buy a couple of the string ones as they were great under rugs for in the stable!

Rosie'smum

Visit site
I have one and use it all the time. I did put a surcingle and filet string on it. Came to her the nxt morn amd the circingle was round by her stifles! Won't be leavin it unattended again. I do prefer thm to jus a fleece.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
P8020004.jpg

That's my baby girls one.