What's all this about? Daily Mail on Phoebe Buckley and Zara Phillips

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
The Princess and the Pauper (??)

Does anyone else think this a load of rubbish?
Incidentally, I know Phoebe from when I used to live in Cambridge and she actually jumped PF for me once (or twice). I like her very much and she's a cracking rider
smile.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Well, if I was going to Badminton, I'd be making sure everything was locked up safely!
smirk.gif
grin.gif

And yes, load of rubbish - I'm sure there are other people who are competing who earn a similar wage as her - esp as some of them will work with horses!

I'm sure Zara couldn't care less, I don't think they paid megabucks for Toytown did they?
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
A nothing story - again 'a thin link' to royals!!!

But the nice thing IT just proves that anyone can get to Badminton with the right horse, talent and hard work.

I wish both girls a good luck at badders

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yes, because it costs nothing to enter Badminton... *rolls eyes*

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to tell you Sooty, but there is no entry fee for Badminton!
grin.gif

However as usual the rest is a load of drivel - how can the horse be 'only just tall enough' when a 14.2 pony went round Rolex!

mrogers

Visit site
Surely it doesnt matter if the horse was brought for £1800 or £18k, Its the way that the rider rides it that makes it a succesfull horse

I think it also comes across that they are showing Zara in a "look down her nose" type of women, but from what i've seen of her, she comes across as a really down to earth women

Joss

Visit site
Usual tabloid stuff - although some is true enough. Phoebe does come from a travelling family & it certainly isnt any of her money that has got her to Badminton. Just is one of the few riders who is actually talented enough to be consistantly offered rides by owners. She was originally got going by Tanya Kyle (then Liddle) & then backed by Val Gingell, who owned The Busker, her first 4* horse & also bred Little Tiger. She works pretty hard at it.

kit279

Visit site
Ok so the Daily Mail is not exactly the greatest source of reality but good for Phoebe - she's an excellent jockey and would be my first port of call if I had a 4* horse. I hope someone reads that article and offers to sponsor her - she works damn hard.

Wasrandyra

Visit site
Interesting how they have made that comparison? Who gives a toss if one is a royal and one is a traveller? I am sure they get on fine and I doubt it's the other riders that turn their noses up - probably just snotty owners and associates.

I cant actually see the point in their article.

eventrider23

Visit site
Well I have known Phoebe since she was about 15 as she used to help out with the Kyle's and in fact still competes for Tanya's sister Toni. She is an excellent jockey and very hard worker and I have to say hats off to her as she has worked for what she has got....I am sure she got a good chuckle out of that article as well seeing as she has been competing in age classes and YR's, etc with Zara as well as the performance squad training with Zara for many years!

Eventerlad15

Visit site
Total cr*p I think, she is competing as an eventer, not a pauper! Who cares about her roots!

Also, isn't the last pic of Badders anyway?

Stateside

Visit site
Its also in the Daily Express today , Anyone that can go round badmington has to be very talented , and no amount of money etc will get you there with out the talent, good luck both girls and I hope you both finish safely and in the top 10.

Rollin

Visit site
Equestrian sport is a great leveller - it is full of stories of horses which cost very little who have made the big time and riders from non-horsey families who go on to be stars.

There must be hundreds of people on this forum who work long hours and go without just to keep a much loved horse.

jennyjenny

Visit site
The Daily Mail knows absolutely nothing about equestrian sport, try to find a report about Badminton or Burghley. They assume every discipline is the same and the only name they recognize is that of Zara. Therefore everyone involved gets the comparison. Which is neither fair to other riders nor to Zara, who is indeed a very talented rider.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
BAH, did Mark Todd not win competitions with a £500 cow pony a few years ago?
The horse may have been 1.8k, but how long has she had it? Maybe 10 years??

Silly Daily Mail! A LOT of riders make it by working hard and slogging it until they get their big break - others dont. Same with EVERYTHING else in the world.

jules89

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure Zara couldn't care less, I don't think they paid megabucks for Toytown did they?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Think they paid 20k iirc...that's quite a lot
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However as usual the rest is a load of drivel - how can the horse be 'only just tall enough' when a 14.2 pony went round Rolex!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't the rules different with FEI to BE? I may be wrong there just an incling!

La La La I'm going to go now I have made myself look like a snotty smart arse!
blush.gif

Oh, both are talented and I think it's an interesting article but completely pointless

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
The Daily Mail knows absolutely nothing about equestrian sport, try to find a report about Badminton or Burghley. They assume every discipline is the same and the only name they recognize is that of Zara. Therefore everyone involved gets the comparison. Which is neither fair to other riders nor to Zara, who is indeed a very talented rider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And IMHO, they only have coverage of Zara because she's a young, attractive woman. If she looked like the backend of a bus, you can bet they wouldn't run anything about her or eventing! How often do you see an article or even a mention about one of the older female riders?! Oh...never!
smirk.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Aren't the rules different with FEI to BE? I may be wrong there just an incling!

blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand? Both Badminton and Rolex are FEI 4* events??

I know BE there are height limits and Libby Soley had to get permission to take Noble Springbok intermediate, but as with everything it's at the discretion of BE to decide these things isn't it?

only_me

Visit site
I was actually kinda pleased that article was in paper - It means that the press and general public are paying more attention in general to eventing, which only has to be a good thing for the sport.

Plus it may also boost views for badminton coverage on tv, which may mean that next year there is even more badminton on tv
grin.gif

The actual article was complete and utter rubbish
tongue.gif
lol i though it was rather funny!

BBH

Visit site
The interest I think is that Zara is a Royal thats all. If she was a paint sprayer there would be articles about her painting the fourth bridge no doubt.

I don't think there is any equestrian interest at all from the DM thats why the articles are questionable its only hitting the paper cos Zara is the Queens granddaughter.

only_me

Visit site
The height limit is only with BE, "journalist Jo Prestwich points out that under British Eventing rules, Teddy would not be able to compete at intermediate level and above. "

so i think you can in FEI possibly? But only in america as their governing organistation allows it?

jules89

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand? Both Badminton and Rolex are FEI 4* events??

I know BE there are height limits and Libby Soley had to get permission to take Noble Springbok intermediate, but as with everything it's at the discretion of BE to decide these things isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I have had a massive senior moment, ignore me..
laugh.gif

Puppy

Visit site
LMAO!! This would be the same "newspaper" (I use the term VERY loosely
smirk.gif
) who backed the residents' campaign and uproar to get rid of the travelers in the villages round there!!
grin.gif

*goes back to sitting on hands and resisting making defamatory comments about the rider*
tongue.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
I think to do over Novice BE your ned has to be 15hh+ doesn't it? Whereas FEI it's smaller as Theodore O'Connor was only 14.1hh...?

Anyway, whatever waffle the Daily Mail were implying, I just read it that none of us have to be rich or Royal to do Badders. Hard work and talent can get you there.

That's if the hard work hasn't killed you first !!!

lannerch

Visit site
Hard work talent and to some extent luck!

And yes toytown was not cheap however how many people are talented enough to ride him!

He is also supposidly not easy.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
I think some people are missing the point a bit tbh.

IMHO, the article simply uses Zara as a direct comparison, because of who she is. I don't think she is being portrayed badly.

It's a feel good story, that will hopefully, inspire every hard working rider out there, and give them the motivation to succeed.
It also gives the sport publicity, and because Britain loves an underdog, there will probably be many more people turning on their TV's this weekend to cheer her on.
More viewers equals better ratings for the beeb, and hopefully that will lead to continued or increased TV coverage, which is a bonus for all of us.