What's "bog burnt" ?

Equi

Visit site
How long would that take to recover and is it only the feathers or would the skin be affected too ?
Depends on the animal, the skin might have some issues underneath but you won't know until you clip them off and then the exposure may be what causes a further issue.

millikins

Visit site
I googled it a short while back as had no idea what it meant. For me it would make no difference, I'm not into traditional feathers and if I ever bought a cob would probably shave them. But if you were buying a traditional to show, there are many sellers who try and disguise poor feathering by saying it's bog burnt, there was a way to tell the difference but can't remember it now.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It's a major issue round here but it happens more not in wet and muddy conditions but when the mud is drying out a bit and forms muck buttons on the feather. Then as the horse clomps round in the claggy mud the hair breaks off just above skin level. Never had problems with the skin associated but the have been tough breed ponies.they grow out in the summer but might take longer than that to get looking good again. Often it's just the bottom inch above the hoof loses the hair.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I wish I knew how to solve it. Now I have a Dales; always had TBs and WBs before so never had to deal with it! She loses the bottom inch of the back feather. Lives out but we have no mud at all as she's on a huge winter acreage. I'm presuming it's the wet. It's only a cosmetic issue but I do show, and full feather is preferable. Her breeder even commented on it, although he had obviously forgotten she was like that when I bought her as a 3yo!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I wish I knew how to solve it. Now I have a Dales; always had TBs and WBs before so never had to deal with it! She loses the bottom inch of the back feather. Lives out but we have no mud at all as she's on a huge winter acreage. I'm presuming it's the wet. It's only a cosmetic issue but I do show, and full feather is preferable. Her breeder even commented on it, although he had obviously forgotten she was like that when I bought her as a 3yo!
Oil them to within an inch of their lives in winter.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
My Welsh had it for the first time a few years ago - I was convinced someone had been at him with scissors until I found out what it was! Feather came back perfect after winter and pig oils helped since.