What's causing colic at this time of year?

Fjord

Visit site
My friend lost her horse to colic last week (my mare's field mate) and the vet had 2 other serious episodes at the same time. Another on the yard got colic yesterday but thankfully it only seems to be mild and he's OK. Just read a FB friend has lost one of hers to colic tonight.

What causes it at this time of year? I'm worried, 2 out of 4 horses on our yard in a week is a bit scary.

Squeak

Visit site
I'm up with a colicking horse tonight. I think it must be the sudden change in the weather and sugars in the grass.

I really hate colic. Hope this stays as just a mild bout.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
A lot of people are bringing horses inside more due to wet weather or stormy days/nights. It may only be for one day or night but then the diet has a sudden change onto hay and back off hay. Same with putting hay inside a field shelter for a bad weather spell, it may be there all the time but not eaten as grass is more apealing, it still gives a sudden diet change and chopping about from one to the other is a real colic inducer.

exracehorse

Visit site
I’ve had colic three times. And all in October. Last time my boy was cold after temp had dropped. It was raining. He had tucked up. And hasn’t pooped. The two previous times with different horses .. same thing. Drop in temperature. Not drinking as much

J&S

Visit site
Yes wet grass, particularly longer wet grass can induce colic in my veteran mare. I keep her on short grass with some additional hay.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Mine has been on box rest for nearly a fortnight and I'm keen to get him back out but worried about colic. I'm thinking of starting with half a day (3 to 4 hours) then building up to a full 8 hour day. I can't muzzle because the grass is already grazed down too far. He's been on gut balancer since starting box rest.

Any advice?