What's for the best?

hannah9000

Visit site
So I found my new horse, a beautiful young chestnut mare.

The original plan was to pick her up and have her stay at my RI's livery yard for a month to start the training then to move her here where she has her own stable and paddock at the back of the farm and I can continue her training from here. The livery yard is a 2 minute walk across our fields (RI rents our fields) so it's not far, and it has a school.
Now, RI is chocka for about 3-4 weeks so we won't be able to pick her up for some time, and i've been thinking maybe it'd be better if we bought her straight here, to her new home, to settle. That way she won't be shifted from pillar to post, going to the livery yard then moving here a month after might be a tad stressful especially when coming back into work?

Like I said, the livery yard is only a 2 min walk across our fields, and she's a good mannered horse so i'd be able to walk her over to the school to lunge etc.
It may be that i'm being impatient and don't want to wait 4 weeks, but I also feel that I could be spending my time getting to know her, walking with her round the farm, grooming, and general attempts at bonding! Even hacking her out gently as that is all she had done til 6 months ago....

What do you all think?!

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I think you should move her to your yard and just take her over to the school that way she can setlle into a new home and you dont have to move her again in four weeks as this could be very stressfull

BentleyBelly

Visit site
If it were me I would definately get her home and get her settled. Can your RI still fit in training but doesn't actually have room for the horse to stay with her? As you are that close I think thats a great option, just take things slow. You are very lucky to be able to keep her at home? Will she have company?

Squeak

Visit site
Agree with Ginger_Nut I think that you would be better bringing her home than to move her around.

hannah9000

Visit site
If it were me I would definately get her home and get her settled. Can your RI still fit in training but doesn't actually have room for the horse to stay with her? As you are that close I think thats a great option, just take things slow. You are very lucky to be able to keep her at home? Will she have company?

Yep RI can fit in training, she's just got a few holiday liveries at the moment. She's not got company here, which is another reason I thought it best to bring her straight here, so she doesn't get used to a load of horses with her then is suddenly alone. The farm is very busy, and the paddock is next to a large duck run so there's plenty to look at and see! If she doesn't do well alone i've warned OH that I may need to get a sheep or mini shet!

We're building an american barn block in Sept, 12 stables, for livery (to extend my RI's but with me running it) and we're having an indoor school. So there will be company eventually!

hannah9000

Visit site
She's with a gelding at the moment. I asked the owner how she is on her own and she's fine apparently (or was) as she was on her own before the gelding came along so i'm hoping she'll revert back to being ok on her own.
As I say the farm is busy, there's plenty to look at, there's no reason why she should get lonely, but I understand as a herd animal I may have to prepare myself to get her some company.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
, there's no reason why she should get lonely

Well, I think there is.. lol Busy farm is no substitute for equine companionship.

But some horses 'cope' with these situations and i hope your Mare does (though personally not keen on keeping horses alone). I hope she has a safe journey to yours.

Goodluck.xx