Whats inside you horse trailer?

Tabs

Visit site
So, I've been borrowing horse trailers for ever and a day and i finally bought one last week. Ive seen similar threads and the replies are long lists of things in lorries ( not trailers) and Im not going to get into the whole partition/no partition debate... tis just a wee nosey as to whats in your trailer. Ive see some with tack boxes, spare wheels, brushes, radios, water canisters and lots and lots of binder twine (would love an alternative to the binder twine lol!). Just any clever tricks you have for handiness and efficiency .
Cheers so!

Fiona

Visit site
Rubber bungees are good for holding stuff at the front. We used to keep a plastic water drum, and a bucket/hand brush/hand shovel in the front of ours.

Fiona

Gypley

Visit site
Ooh I love these threads.I don’t use a tack locker, so in the nose of the trailer I have a hanging stable tidy. Perfect for brushes, hoof picks, plaiting band etc. Also have bailing twine in there too for emergencies.
I only ever travel one horse so in the empty side I keep water butt, poo scoop, broom all secured with bungees.

windand rain

Visit site
A box with Jack,spider and tools. A brush shovel and poo bucket.all secured in the nose. Binder twine to hold the old girl forward as she rubs her bum and quick release ties. Partition is in as we travel 2 most of the time

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The only thing that goes in my trailer are partitions, breast bars, horses, haynets and even though I use double ended emergency release ties on their headcollars a very sharp knife tucked away where I can grab it if needed. The thingy to release the breast bars in an ermergency lives in the pocket behind the drivers seat. Everything else goes in the car.

only_me

Visit site
Currently straw :p

Normally just a couple of buckets, water container and a storage box. Bucket has a sponge/sweat scraper/hoof pick/brush. Items in storage box depends on what we are going to, eg, if eventing it will have studs, hoof oil, tea towel, dressage & jump whip, spare cooler, waterproof sheet, boots, tape, bandages, wound cream, dressing, gamgee , vet wrap, scissors.

When we went to the pc champs this had 3 bales hay, 3 shavings bales, boxes upon boxes of horse gear lol.

phizz4

Visit site
Spare wheel bolted on to the side. Plastic ramp for pulling the trailer on to if you have a puncture, so you don't have to use a jack. Water container, bucket and sponge. Feed trugs. Horse first aid in a tack box. Hoof boots. Spare lunge line (helps with loading/unloading). Sweat rugs. Re-usable zip ties (no baler twine). Wheel brace (for wheel nuts but also emergency breast bar release). Our trailer has a lockable, separate locker at the front, accessible from outside and inside the trailer.

Leo Walker

Visit site
A drill, carriage extension, paint, brushes, screws, bolts. All sorts of deitrus left over from refurbing it. What is not in it is a horse! But thats because mine still isnt usable which is a whole other thread! I honestly didnt think about putting anything in it with the horse, other than a trailer tie. Some good ideas here though!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I keep a water canister, skip bucket, water bucket, brush & shavings fork in the trailer, but these come out when the horse goes in.

In the trailer permanently are full length breast and breech bars, a camera connected to my car, two quick release leadropes pre-tied for easy clipping up, numerous sticky plastic hooks (handy for hanging bridles etc) and in the nose I have a Stubbs stable tidy for brushes, hoof picks etc. Like this:

Attachments

• 34306ADF-C097-440E-B5B7-ADF7B638C52D.jpeg
    34306ADF-C097-440E-B5B7-ADF7B638C52D.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 5

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Just as an aside, does anyone have a stable mirror (the type on a roll) in their trailer?

My mare is not keen on staying in the trailer, and I’m wondering if a mirror of some kind might help calm her.

CMcC

Visit site
Already said, but worth saying again: Trailer Aid, plastic ramp thingy to use instead of jack for changing wheel.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Trailer Aid (just needed to use ours when we had a flat tyre on the trailer at home, brilliant things), camera for the cctv, lead ropes ready tied up at the correct length.
I move the Trailer Aid into the back of the 4x4 for travel in case it bounces around in transit and upsets the horse.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Just as an aside, does anyone have a stable mirror (the type on a roll) in their trailer?

My mare is not keen on staying in the trailer, and I’m wondering if a mirror of some kind might help calm her.

I bought one on a roll, but the quality of image was rubbish so I didn't put it up. I then got a stainless steel one that was much better. It was for the Jay Man, and for a while he liked it so much that he would whinney a welcome when he was loaded. In fact, on our second outing with it he started whinnying half way across the car park, wanted to rush onto the box and was then greeting his "friend" with great enthusiasm. That did wear off though, thank goodness, as I even considered taking the bloomin thing down.

He also had one in his stable, on in his school, one in his shelter. Many a happy hour threatening his "friend" to stop him stealing his hay. :D

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Permanently fitted quick release ties and haynet depending on which horse and length of journey, ditto some sawdust on the floor, nothing else.

Tabs

Visit site
Ah brill. I will be investing in a trailer aid definitely it seems much easier than a jack. The shires heavy duty bungee clips are good too. I will also keep an alan key in the car for releasing breast and tail bars just in case of an accident and rubber partition tie holders because he can sometimes be a dose to load. Lots of great ideas...
Thanks all!

Last edited:

henmother

Visit site
Nothing but horse , his inevitable poop , Haynet and lead rope . Would love to be able to store some gubbins in trailer as my poor car ends up looking like a skip! I am coveting the new cheval trailer with tack room area , it's a Beauty ! Always have to hand in car , passport , trailer recovery info and crowbar to release the breast bar .

Shoei

Visit site
I only have a shovel in the trailer but I have a handy box system that goes in the car.

My Stubbs saddle carrier has saddle, boots, bridle, numbers, spare plaiting bands and thing for unstitching plaits.

I have another box for emergencies. This contains spare headcollar, leadrope, lunge line, first aid kit. This also contains a rug as he is generally a hot bod when travelling.

I have a sheet I put in the front that informs I am a loan competitor and gives emergency details.

I used too travel with much more but have whittled it down. I also only take 2l of water in a big bottle after hearing a terrible story about a water contained coming loose in an accident.

Alibear

Visit site
Currently just the bungee tie, spare wheel bolted to wall and the wheel jack which is also the emergency breast bar release. Plus a broom and shavings for secured upright to the wall by the spare when using terry clips.
With stay away shows I'm pondering how to take hay and bedding with us. I have a small external tack locker that has poop scoop, muck bucket, water buckets, feed bucket in permanently and there's room for rugs and other bits. Took the saddle rack out of it as there's no hope of getting a western saddle in there. I'm on a winter mission to get it as setup as I can for next show season as I keep hurting my back with all the loading an unloading.

claracanter

Visit site
Those of you who use quick release ties, do you mean the quick release bungee ties? I've seen them online and wondered if they were worth getting

Annagain

Visit site
As of yesterday, I have one of these, secured with a bungee cord to stop it moving. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOMCOM-Alu...14884&sr=8-2&keywords=aluminium+steps+3+tread

I've never bothered with mobile steps before, just used a convenient lorry ramp or a mounting block in the arena for lessons but came unstuck at a fun ride last weekend. There was no convenient lorry ramp; A is 16.3hh; they only had a tiny mounting block; I had lots of layers on so wasn't at my most flexible and even though I'm 5'7 I have very short legs. All this is to make excuses for making a right t*t of myself struggling to get on so I took remedial action!

Apart from that, I don't put anything on the front of my trailer as I don't like adding to the nose weight and it all gets covered in hay as soon as I put a haynet in for the horses.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Those of you who use quick release ties, do you mean the quick release bungee ties? I've seen them online and wondered if they were worth getting

I use these, always leave them in the trailer so when I load up I just connect one end to the headcollar and remove original lead rope. Saves faffing about trying to tie ropes correctly and with Houdini for a pony it's the only safe way to travel as he can untie any knot known to man.IMG_2413.PNG

Merlod

Visit site
I've got a storage area at the front and I keep 4 camping chairs, mounting step, small toolbox, aquaroll, lunge whip, buckets, a set of brushes, a couple of lead ropes, spare bailing twine and hi-viz jackets in case of break down.

I bed put nets up before each journey but I do keep my quick release horse ties in the horse area. I attached the quick release part to the horse and the trigger end to they bailing twine they are tied to. Mine aren't stretchy but have a slide buckle for adjustment of length :)

windand rain

Visit site
Having had my thumb bitten off. I now attach the horse to the trigger point and the quick release to the trailer. It is no fun trying to get a panicking horse undone at it chin while it's teeth are out of control. The horse in question was an easy loader and great traveller but took exception to it's panicking companion. The blood pouring from it's mouth made me think it had had a brain heamorage until I realised it was mine

Red-1

Visit site
I use these, always leave them in the trailer so when I load up I just connect one end to the headcollar and remove original lead rope. Saves faffing about trying to tie ropes correctly and with Houdini for a pony it's the only safe way to travel as he can untie any knot known to man.View attachment 26510
Having had my thumb bitten off. I now attach the horse to the trigger point and the quick release to the trailer. It is no fun trying to get a panicking horse undone at it chin while it's teeth are out of control. The horse in question was an easy loader and great traveller but took exception to it's panicking companion. The blood pouring from it's mouth made me think it had had a brain heamorage until I realised it was mine

I used to use these until a friend had a real emergency and we all realised how dangerous bungee elastic and horses are when mixed. The horse can put an incredible strain on the elastic, then when you quick release one end, the metal clip comes flying off like a bullet.

It is especially dangerous to attach the quick release end to the wall if using bungee, as then the metal clip will fly at the horse's head when it is released. The quick release do also tend to open when under strain, so you have set the horse up with a weapon to be fired at his head if he has a panic.

I do use quick release in the box (and grooming parlour TBH) but use the type with non elastic straps. They can be altered for length. Mine are a more muted colour, and a heavier construction, but this type of thing...

s-l1600.jpg

I found this photo on ebay, but there will be other similar ones...

ETA, I dug out the ones I have, below. They are heavier dur=ty with a safer clip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUICK-RE...16e5fa90:m:mLkOxKO9ciQ53aKV5j5f_fw:rk:22:pf:0

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Ah, I found the ones that I bought, a bit more heavy duty... I have also had them for 10 years and they are still functional, even the one in 3 X daily use. Also, one end is quick release, but the other is still a safety catch which opens outwards and has no sharp edges.

All my leadropes are quick release and longer than average, as a standard lead rope is just the right length to have you "sucked under" if a horse rears up and standard clips are notorious for causing injury if the horse pulls or gets the clip in their mouths.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Du...379f1bb8:m:m4gkNgtXejeMCpfspVpw8Xg:rk:28:pf:0

S.jpg

I do always use these for tying up as then there is no danger of the horse undoing the rope or pulling the knot tight. I have them at every tie point that I use.