What's involved in 'helping out'?

calder

Visit site
I'm a novice rider and have recently been offered the opportunity to help out with a friend of a friend's horses, perhaps in exchange for rides. What do people think 'helping out' usually includes? As an RS rider I have relatively little experience of yard work and horse care, although I usually turn up in time to groom and tack up.

The friend of a friend has three horses on a small yard, I assume on DIY livery. I'm thinking helping out would probably include grooming, poo-picking and looking to their food and water. What else might it include?

paddi22

Visit site
I'd imagine mucking out? that would be the handiest help I use on my yard when people help out. if that was the case ask the person to show you how they muck out, so you can copy their technique and how they do it./ it's a really handy thing to learn anyways. its always helpful to be able to clean tack or boots too.

Winters100

Visit site
As Pearlasinger says it means something different to everyone. You could ask, or you could just try and see how it works, and if it is too much work end the arrangement.

I think I maybe prefer the latter, as I think if I had offered this arrangement I might feel a nit under pressure if I had to say exactly what 'helping out' meant. To me it would mean tasks such as filling haynets, helping to fetch in / turnout. changing rugs, but could be anything!

paddy555

Visit site
bringing in, turning out. If they are DIY they may want you to feed and put out on certain days, or bring in if they are working late. Possibly be there and hold a horse for the farrier. Maybe cover if they have to go away for a day. If the horses have to stay in because of the weather for you to take one for a walk in hand to eat grass, stretch it's legs. Could be lots of things.
You may end up with more work than riding but a good chance to get experience. If you don't know how to do something ask. All those tasks are pretty easy and can be quickly learnt.

mini_b

Visit site
When I “helped out” as a teen:

bring in/turn out
Feed and prepare feeds
Fill haynets. Forever.
sweep, constantly.
poo pick fields in summer and skip/full muck out in winter.
groom (And clean grooming kits)
Cleaned tack
clipping

One yard I helped at during hunt season (so the proper staff could go to on a Saturday meet) I got £10 for doing nets, mucking out boxes, sweeping, turning what was left on the yard out. I was there from 6am until mum picked me up at about 11. I loved it, there was always Jamaica ginger cake in the tack room.

also if there were other pets such as dogs cats etc I usually walked and fed those. Full time job being a helper eh! And honestly I am so grateful for it! Very valuable time of my life.

feeling a bit nostalgic there!
Whatever you are required to do will vary depending on their set up etc but be enthusiastic!