What's more damaging? A saddle that doesn't fit correct or bareback?

Troyseph

Visit site
A comment got me thinking, no I don't listen to silly comments from silly people who seem to think my riding my horse in a bareback pad (I'm 10stone, very balanced rider) is apparently more damaging than riding in my new bates Caprilli which doesn't fit yet(needs diff gullet and cair adjusting, waiting on saddler and pennies!)

Thoughts?

MissTyc

Visit site
I ride bareback all the time and my competition horses are back-checked regularly and never have a problem ... I don't bounce around on them - well no more than in a saddle LOL!

horsemadelsie

Visit site
I would have thought a badly fitting saddle with pressure points would be far worse than bareback- unless the rider concerned was bouncing heavily on the horse.
I rode our first horse bareback (with no pad) for a month waiting for a saddle, and his back recovered from damage done by the badly fitting saddle.

dafthoss

Visit site
Do you rise in the bareback pad? I'd be worried about the weight distribution on the pad but if your doing all your work sitting then short term I would think its ok.

Is the gullet on the bates to wide or to narrow? if its to wide then you could pad it out to get it ok to use short term before the saddler comes.

Failing that just ride bareback properly ie no pad just your bum on pony or a numnah under a roller if you want a little more help.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Bareback puts all the pressure on one area of spine, but a saddle that doesn't fit puts pressure points combined with the restriction from saddle/girth and causes far more damage IMO.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If you're only riding bareback temporarily and for a short while I shouldn't think it'll do any harm. Infact I'd imagine you'll probably damage yourself before you manage to damage the horse.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Riding properly bareback, assuming you don't smash up & down & aren't of a weight where you need a saddle to spread your weight to stop pressure points doesn't do any harm.
But I agree with Dafthoss, once you put weight in your stirrups it can put pressure on the spine. My daughter gallops & jumps her pony in a ponypad, but proportionately far lighter for her pony than most adults are on their horses.
If it was me, I'd just ride bareback i.e. without anything till saddle sorted.

Troyseph

Visit site
My bareback pad, is a best friend it doesn't have stirrups or anything it's just literally like a saddlecloth and roller:D and yes I rise when trotting.

jeeve

Visit site
If you are a balanced rider then bareback is not an issue, if you are not then you soon will be. Bareback will help your seat.

My kids do often ride bareback with and without a pad, they do not bounce around, and they do not rise to the trot either - just sit trot.

The pad probably makes it more comfortable for your horse.

milesjess

Visit site
I think bareback is more good then bad provided the rider isn't bouncing around all over the place on the horses back or gripping too tight.

A badly fitted saddle definitely could do more damage or inflict higher levels of pain IMO.

planete

Visit site
Look at the ridden horses of the Elgin marbles, how well muscled they look. Ridden bareback regularly and fit enough to go into battle carrying grown men. You can also study how and where the riders sit on them.