Whats peoples views on verdibend bits? Or turtle top?

daisy123

Visit site
Hi , I've been told by bit bank that my mare needs verdibend bit or turtle top but to try verdibend first so I've just oredered one to trial. She can be a bit heavy on forehand and had all checks done etc. What's people's views on them? Or turtle top bits? Thanks

Shavings

Visit site
I have a turtle top for my boy as he has a low curve to his palette, i have never looked back since buying mine! can not recommend enough!!
feel free to inbox me if you have questions :)

eggs

Visit site
Hmm, strange thing to be told as they are quite different. I used to have one of mine in the Verbindend but he has always been fussy in his mouth although strangely not in the contact. I had a long chat with the NS people and got a Turtle Top on trial from Saddles Direct. He is definitely happier in it but then he has a low palette and a large tongue. My other horses have all been good in the Verbindend.

daisy123

Visit site
Thanks for replies. Yes I thought it was strange when I read up on each bit to find both completely different types. I'll see how she goes in verbindend as that was suggested to try first. She's not a head shaker or a chomper it's more the heavy on forehand and not found anything that stops it. I try my best to school her but it's constant weight on my hands in trot and canter.

Ella19

Visit site
I like verbindend type bits to lift the shoulder. The much cheaper option is Jefferies harmony bit, same design, just not salox gold

oldie48

Visit site
I've got the turtle top, Mr B has a large tongue and can be very busy in his mouth. It's mainly tension but there was an immediate improvement with the turtle top which seems to suit him.

daisy123

Visit site
I was looking at the harmony Geoffrey yesterday and thinking that it looked same bit. But then l thought I wonder if it does same job. If the verbindend bit works I shall be purchasing one maybe. Thanks.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
backing my 3yo in the turtle top atm.

obviously too early to say how he feels in it, but he accepted it straight away, doesnt open his mouth or grind on it and long reins in a really nice soft outline without being asked so is obviously pretty happy in it :)

noblesteed

Visit site
Verbindend made a huge difference to mine which was heavy on the forehand - lifted him right up! I wish I had got him one years ago.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Verbidend is great for cobs as a general rule as they tend to be heavy on the front end. Also if your horse has a fleshy tongue and or palate it doesn't take up much room in their mouth..

daisy123

Visit site
Thanks everyone. She does have a thick fleshy tounge so it should be great for her. I've gone for 12mm the thinnest one.

equestriansports

Visit site
Turtle top is a very popular bit it's just come back in stock and still In high demand.

I've been trying to sell mine for ages - nobody wants it unless it's for £15! It's only ever been used once.
My old horse loves his turtle top. He was exceptionally fussy in his mouth, ran around with his mouth wide open, crossed his jaw, looked like a giraffe. He had a really big tongue and a lot of bruising to his mouth. He came to me in quite a harsh bit and in this he settled down, stretched and didn't fuss anywhere near as much.

apachediamond

Visit site
Really like the turtle top, transitioned my heavy on the forehand horse from a pelham to this in a few weeks, been in it since February and not looked back.

daisy123

Visit site
I've been trying to sell mine for ages - nobody wants it unless it's for £15! It's only ever been used once.
My old horse loves his turtle top. He was exceptionally fussy in his mouth, ran around with his mouth wide open, crossed his jaw, looked like a giraffe. He had a really big tongue and a lot of bruising to his mouth. He came to me in quite a harsh bit and in this he settled down, stretched and didn't fuss anywhere near as much.

Yes people these days want stuff for next to nothing or free. And these bits are not cheap. Sadly.

daisy123

Visit site
Good to know both bits are good. I'm expecting my verbindend arriving today or tomorrow. If it's no good it'll go straight back. And I'll try the turtle top.

equestriansports

Visit site
Yes people these days want stuff for next to nothing or free. And these bits are not cheap. Sadly.

Exactly! I paid £93 for this bit, plus postage. It went in his mouth once because I had to sell him. It's in immaculate condition, on the board it came with and it has all the full packaging with it. It's like people feel they're doing me a favour by even offering.

daisy123

Visit site
Bit came today and she went fantastic in it, can't believe the difference, I didn't even need any contact and she pulled up with the gentilist squeeze. She was snorting and seemed so happy. Absolutely over the moon :)

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I tried my chap in the verdibend as he tends to drop behind the contact when schooling and I found in this bit he actually started stretching in to the contact instead of curling his neck and going behind the bit which makes life so much more pleasant for both of us (I previously had him in a happy mouth French link as he's very light mouthed). A friend of mine has also started using one on her horse who used to grind his teeth constantly and try to evade the bit by sticking his head in the air and to one side and the improvement was almost instant when she changed to the verdibend (both horses have had their teeth checked regularly) I think the shape of the bit seems to be more comfortable for some horses.

fornema

Visit site
I have the verbindend in numerous sizes for varying horses and also have other NS bits, absolutely fantastic bit. One of mine who I've had for 9 years until 2 years ago i wouldn't have dreamed of her being able to be ridden in a snaffle but the verbindend has revolutionised the way she went, previously tried her in almost every bit from a waterford gag to pelhams to varying snaffles, none of which she was comfortable in and she is so comfortable in it even going XC and trains at medium level dressage. Improved most horses, only horse who it hasn't made a change to is a driving pony we have who only really likes a thick straight bar as it is all she has known. Previously I didnt think they could make such a difference but wish i'd tried them out earlier.

daisy123

Visit site
My mare was a driving pony. She was with gypsy's when she was 2 and put in cart. Poor girl. I was starting to think this had made her hard mouthed so was trying more severe bits but nothing worked. Just shows harsher bits is not the answer to all horses.

fornema

Visit site
My mare was a driving pony. She was with gypsy's when she was 2 and put in cart. Poor girl. I was starting to think this had made her hard mouthed so was trying more severe bits but nothing worked. Just shows harsher bits is not the answer to all horses.

If this was directed at my comment, its not a case of severe bits at all although the verbindend can be severe in the wrong hands because of the mouthpiece, you must be able to ride light and would never let someone with heavy hands ride mine in one. But again it is not a one bit fits all horses bit, although i recommend it and use it on many!

daisy123

Visit site
Yes I was replying to your answer. All bits can be harsh in wrong hands. I'm a light handed rider but before trying the verbindend bit I was being heavy handed because my mare was been heavy on forehand and pulling my sockets out. I rode her yesterday with no contact reins like washing lines, using just my seat and leg aids to put the bit to the test. And she was brilliant. I honestly didn't think it was the same mare.

daisy123

Visit site
I'm definitely converted. I was not enjoying my ride and neither was she but now we are both happy. I can't wait to go ride her today :)