What's so bad about chestnut mares?

Niraf

Visit site
I had two chestnut mares. The first was an arab/saddler cross that was a total loony, she would bolt and dump me regularly. It also didnt help that she was my first horse and I was a total novice at the time ! The second one I had was a tb who was really sweet and wonderful when we got used to each other, but she did test me a lot in the beginning !!

golden_revolution

Visit site
My Ginger nija is bossy, opinionated, never wrong, head strong, grumpy, beautiful, loving, fun yet hard work! But I wouldn't change her for the World! (excpet for maybe when judges ride her and struggle to put up with her 'testing' them- cowbag!!)

People say don't buy a mare, don't buy a chestnut, don't buy a TB...I got all three in one but I'd always go and look for another one if (god forbid) anything ever happened to her!

She's a challenge in the school, yet I know that I could get on her after months off, hack her out and she wouldn't be any different to what she is the rest of time- sharp, quick but FUN!

0ldmare

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime was a chestnut mare with 2 white socks and a white stripe down her face. Loved that horse and would equally love another chestnut mare :)

Rose Folly

Visit site
Nothing! Had a 16.1 chestnut threequarter-bred mare for 11 years and she was a darling in every respect. She'd jump the moon, and give you a cracking ride on a sponsored ride, and yet I used to canter her over the fields bareback with just a headcollar to go and collect the other horses at bedtime. Wise and sensible and loving. Forget the nit-picking - get one!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
My chestnut mare is a monster, but I LOVE her and would not change a thing. She is entertaining to ride, jumps like the proverbial stag, skitterbounces everywhere rather than walks and spends 90% of a ride snorting/shying at things.

I have never ever felt unsafe on her dispite her best efforts and actually forget that her nutty behaviour is not normal until I hack with someone new and they ask 'is she always so bouncy?!' She is great in traffic, will always skitter past an object she is scared of rather than turn & run away, which I think is great, she doesn't buck or rear so in a lot of ways she is the perfect horse, just that her idea of a gentle stroll involues bouncing from one side of path to other snorting a lot!!

In the stable she is very aloof, and can be bargy if you let her, but interestingly her wee foal is the opposite, super friendly and wants cuddles all the time!! :D

Would I buy another chestnut mare, definately, I don't blame her colour (although might revise that in veiw of recent findings quoted on here!) for her behaviour, I blame her being a mare!:D