whats the best bit of advice youve even been given?

legend

Visit site
pmsl at some of these, they're great!
grin.gif

Think the best one i can think of at the moment was 'your horse wasn't born knowing that you 'should' present him at 90 deg/ straight onto the fence, he has no preconceptions about the 'correct' line , just ride the fence, he doesn't care!'

Peanot

Visit site
I remember reading that a horse can`t measure!!!
which helps when you are in a 2 phase and they seem a lot bigger.
A good tip that I was given was on the approach to a fence, always check that your heel is down. The explanation that came with it was that when the heel is down the calf muscle is hard and so against the horses sides, so it is keeping them using themselves and they don`t rush off and it also keeps our leg solid.
Also this is what my trainer said when I explained that our sj round wasn`t very good because it was a hot day and we had been standing around waiting for a while.
"No excuses, whether hot or cold, excited or tired, when you ask a question, the answer to the question 2 + 2 should always be 4, not 3 or 3.5 but 4. "
This is a good post as I have picked up lots of useful tips.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
lots of conflicting advice, depending on what i am doing.... advice (or amusing comments that are great out hunting etc, are far from helpful when trying to SJ, such as

'shut up & kick on'
'speeds your freind'

where as my trainer would prefer me to learn to "WAIT FOR THE FENCE" and frequently has to remind me the 2'6 x pole is NOT a ginormous hedge & ditch (as i come hooning towards it on a perfect long one!!)