What's the best flyspray?

Sunny_Star

Visit site
i was wondering if anyone could reccoment a really good flyspray.

My horse has very sensitive skin and absoloutley hates flies (he even started rearing once when I was riding him because I forgot to put flyspray on him)

The flyspray I use at the moment is ok, but it doesnt stop all the flies.

Does anyone use a really good one that they could reccomend?

ruscara

Visit site
I make my own, which works just as well as the ones you can buy and costs far less.

I use: A couple of mugs full of vinegar, a mug of cold, strong tea, a slug of meths, a squirt of washing up liquid, three teaspoons of citronella oil, several drops of clove oil, the same of lavendar oil and tea tree oil as well. Sometimes I put in some Avon bath oil stuff, which is good against midges. It's all a bit random, really, but that's what I use. And I top it up with water to make a litre and a half or so. If the flies are very bad I make it stronger with the oils.
It does work really well, smells nice and seems kind on the skin. I use it on me, too!
smile.gif

sarahgill

Visit site
I use deosect, it a bit of a hardcore one but you only need to apply it twice a month if that, works really well can get it from most agricultural type stores, my girl has incredible sensitive skin and it worked for her!

Bert&Maud

Visit site
I use the Nettex one which is brilliant for ordinary flies. Haven't found anything that works on horseflies, but luckily they seem to have nearly finished for this year.

JadeWisc

Visit site
I wish you could get your hands on some "Bronco GOLD" flyspray in the Gold bottle. I think it is not avail in the UK but if you are able to round some up I would for sure get it!

Re: the sensitive skin though........

It is some potent stuff and one of mine did get bumps from it so I would perhaps do a spot test first to see

The problem with sensitive skin is that the really good working stuff may be too harsh

merlinsquest

Visit site
~Do you really only need to apply the deosect one twice a month??????

I struggle with the 7 hours efficience time that most offer!!! Its almost why bother when the rest of the time it doesnt work!!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
deet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on a horse with sensitive skin - can cause a nasty reaction.

I use the Super Barrier stuff which seems to work ok.

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Leovet Powerphaser - expensive but is the ONLY fly spray I have tried that works.

[/ QUOTE ] Ditto! My mare is really sensitive to horseflies and most summers I cannot ride in our local woods because there are so many there and she gets so distressed. In previous years I have tried various fly repellants including Naf Off and the home made recipes with no success.

This year I was recommended Leovet Power Phaser through this forum and it has made a huge difference and I'm able to hack in the woods no problems at all
grin.gif

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I didn't find Deet that good - am going to buy some Deosect this week - seems vets recommend this one. My friend swears by it. It costs about £25 for a 'Jeyes Fluid' size container but last ages. Word of warning - I don't know if this is true or not - perhaps someone can confirm - I heard Deet is bad for unborn babies. The lady who turns out our horses is pregnant and has asked us not to use it ???

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Question: Is it safe to use insect repellent?

Answer: It depends on the type you choose. Use caution with any product that contains the chemical Diethyltoluamide, more commonly known as DEET. A certain amount of the chemical is absorbed through the skin into your bloodstream. In large doses, it can make you seriously ill. DEET has been shown to increase the risk for birth defects in chicks, but not in rats or rabbits.

Unfortunately, not much information is available on the possible harmful effects in human pregnancies. But because DEET is considered toxic in high enough doses, it is generally recommended that pregnant women either avoid using repellents containing DEET or use them only in small amounts.

hotellie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Leovet Powerphaser - expensive but is the ONLY fly spray I have tried that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

same fo me...naf off extra is absolutely hopeless, i think flys are attracted to it!

D

Donkeymad

I would highly recommend Deosect from Deosan too. It appears expensive for such a small can (250ml) but it needs to be quite highly diluted. However, it is very effective and you only need apply it once a MONTH, although you can apply fortnughtly if you have a bad fly problem.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same fo me...naf off extra is absolutely hopeless, i think flys are attracted to it!

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree about NAF off, I sprayed some on my lad's fly rug while he was out in the field last summer and thousands of little black flies SWARMED all over him
shocked.gif
I took the rug off pretty quick, and they followed it where ever I took it
confused.gif
Swore there and then that I would never touch the stuff again!!