whats the best product to use to prevent mud fever?

Visit site
My horse suffered really badly last winter with mud fever, I had to keep him in for ages (which he hates!) Last winter I smothered his legs with Sudocrem and I was just wondering if there was anything better to use to prevent mudfever? I have heard that liquid paraffin is good? Thanks in advance :)

sunleychops

Visit site
Pig Oil + Sulfur seems to be the go to from most people I know to prevent it.

If you are unlucky enough to get it though Udder Cream will help clear it up, Its Chlorohexidine based so is basically Hibiscrub cream :)

Shutterbug

Visit site
My guy got mud fever so bad 7 years ago he had to have antibiotics twice and it took weeks to heal (I was in hospital so it wasn't picked up earlier) I have used pig oil and sulphur on his legs every 6 weeks over every winter and hes never had it since. You can use it with or without sulphur - some horses have a reaction to it so best to do a patch test first of all if trying it as my friends mare took a reaction to the sulphur and lost all the hair on her back legs - so she just uses pig oil now.

fairyclare

Visit site
Both my girls (chestnuts, white legs all round) suffered badly with it last year despite my best efforts to keep it at bay - barrier cream on legs, mud socks, no mud socks, washing in medicated shampoo, not washing in medicated shampoo, drying legs with micro fibre towels, thermatex boots blah blah blah you get the idea.....

This year I have invested in a set of Equi-Med AG boots, 1 mare is on Aloeride, the other is on NAF mud guard. So far we have no mud but when the mud does come I am hoping we will be unaffected!
The mare on Aloeride is on it for a different reason, but I am told it is good for MF so I am going to do an experiment with the 2 supplements.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Pig oil and sulphur here - I started two weeks ago before all the rain started - apply it once a week on the whole. If scab appears I use aqueous cream as a barrier/softener. I never pick scabs and wash only the scabby bits with antibac solution so Im not soaking whole lower leg if I don't have to.

sunleychops

Visit site
Be careful if you choose to use Turnout boots, They really can cause some horses big problems. They cost me in the region of £1500 when he developed a skin condition that no one could work out!

Micky

Visit site
Pig oil and sulphur everytime :) If you choose udder cream, get the one with iodine in it as its better than some of the others being sold, generally a farm shop than a horse shop product :). Rub legs down with old towel before 'bedtime' and brush off excess mud left on in the morning...I tend to boot mine up at night as he gets swollen legs and they dry overnight..doesnt work for every horse that way though!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I use Gold Label mud guard or Keratex mud shield powder as prevention and then Hoof to Heel for any patches that occur. Works really well!! And have used Nizoral in the past which has worked really well at cleaning up scabs etc.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I found for my mare the best thing was the Muddy Buddy Powder, Same as Keratex mud shield powder, just a bit cheaper. Seemed to work better for her than anything else.

w1bbler

Visit site
My coblet suffered mud fever all his life , tried every product out there. Couple of years ago I changed his diet, pro balance & linseed & he no longer has mud fever. Nothing else has changed, he's 26 now.
Des-rocks, baby oil & pig oil are the same thing, different marketing.

Javelin

Visit site
I feed MudGard by NAF - it isn't cheap but is very good. A supply of 1kg lasts about 6 weeks.

I also put vaseline on all four legs prior to my boy going out - this is more precaution then cure as we have very muddy fields at times plus the fields are clay based so it just sticks to his legs. The vaseline just helps to prevent too much mud sticking.

I also am - personally - completely against washing legs continuously (ie on a daily basis) as I think this just causes more issues with the horse constantly having wet legs from mud and being washed