whats the biggest thing that would put you off buying a horse?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Vices. Had a cribber and would never have another. I may consider it if the horse ONLY did it in the stable (since I keep my horses out 24/7 which may 'sort' some vices).

Dont mind if it doesn't load - had plenty that started off that way, just a challenge!

Brandy

Visit site
If it rears on a frequent occasion. Or if, in the pictures in the advert, the person riding the horse is wearing trainers with neon knee high socks and no hat etc......just puts me straight off.

Yes this too.

As I do sod all these days inthe way of competing, I would want something that will hack out alone and is good in traffic. By hack out alone I do mean not try to kill me in any way shape or form. So a buck I can cope with, fizzy too, excitable, a bit spooky etc. But not bolting, broncing or mad fits of any sort!

Brandy

Visit site
Also sweet itch. Not had one mysefl but a friend has and it can be such an awful thing to cope with for pony and owner.

SplashofSoy

Visit site
bad feet and a bad attitude!!

I quite like horses with vices because you can get a better horse for less money! ;)

I have to agree with this, especially the bad attitude and vices can mean a good horse is cheaper. If i was buying a horse to compete at a top level I would be prepared to put up with alot for serious talent but I am a low level competitor who just wants to have fun which means i would never buy anything which reared/napped/wouldnt load etc as life is too short and horses to expensive to keep to have to deal with a load of problems.

Conformation wouldnt bother me too much as many of the best horses i have know have been quite badly put together but would hunt all season and compete all summer with no problem.

9tails

Visit site
I can understand almost all of the objections people have listed here, except the 'POA' one.

I just feel that buyers might be missing out on some really super - and not necessarily expensive! - horses by refusing to consider ads that don't state the price.

Surely if a horse seems perfect for you, it's worth a quick phone call or email to find out the price? After all, for the right horse, you'd be phoning/emailing to get more details anyway...

Or perhaps I'm missing/misunderstanding something? Apologies if so!

It'd be a waste of a quick phone call in my case. I wouldn't spend over £5k on my ideal horse and you can bet your bottom dollar that a POA would be well above that, otherwise the price would be stated.

naza

Visit site
im up'ing this thread, in the hope that some people can help me with my reply (the reason i started this thread :p)

Thanks for all your replies.
a question for the ones who especially said bad laoder/wont hack alone.. the reason i asked this question was because next year (march time) i am probably going to be putting my mare up for sale (i know my thing down there says 15.2hh appaloosa for sale, she was earlier this year, then we had time wasters etc so i decided to keep her for another reason and just havet edited that bit yet, whoops.) anyway she is an absolute dream horse except for two things (well kind of 1 1/2).
1. She can be a dodgey loader into a trailer, she can pretty much either walk straight in, go in within 10min, 30min, even upto 1 1/2hours! And tbh we're not quite sure why she is like it, when we first got her (as a 4yo, 2 1/2years ago) she had only ever been in a lorry, but her problem is IF you do manage to get her into the trailer, she they doesnt like the back going up, que her rushing put backwards (only time shes ever bolshy), but she does load into a lorry (have rented one out) or we thing she would even load into an equi trek trailer better (as the ramps to the side, not behind) but we cannot afford one, nor a lorry. btw once she's in she travels 100% fine!
2. She hacks out alone fine over tracks and fields walk, trot, canter not strong etc) but if you go down into the village more she isn't as confident, bit spooky, has to stop look at things etc.
So basically wondered when i do come to sell her would these things really put you off? how do i put them in ad, if at all??! (Goh, sorry this is an essay post!)

Zebedee

Visit site
You describe her as good to travel, & say that she hacks out alone.
Then when people phone you go in to greater detail as above. Ads are charged by the word & if you try & explain in full you'll end up spending a fortune. If you try 7 explain briefly you'll put people off ringing.
However (& this is really important) should you agree a sale you MUST include the details on the receipt, otherwise the advert could be used to claim misrepresenation if the purchaser decides they want their money back.