WHat's the daftest thing your horse has spooked at ?

Deltaflyer

Visit site
This morning I took Sam out for a hack with his favourite hacking companion.

There has been some tree felling in the woods and as we were riding along the track Sam was keeping a wary eye on the stacked logs as we rode past in case trolls were hiding behind them ready to leap out and get him.

Just then the other horse let out the most humungous fart. Cue Sam leaping forward as if a whole herd of trolls were chasing him. We laughed our heads of at the sheer silliness of spooking at a fart !!! LOL

So, what daft thing have your horses found spook worthy :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I used to ride one where if it was windy he would jump if his tail blew under him.

I once had a baby Police Horse who literally was scared of his shadow, as in if it were a dull day, and then the sun came out he would jump at the shadow. Surprisingly he made an excellent Police Horse after a couple of years of training, although I did wonder at first!

I have seen Fibresand spook a few, if they have not been regularly maintained and the fibre comes to the surface, clumps up and blows to the corner. It looks like a family of bunnies, until the wind changes direction, whereupon the family of "bunnies" scoot across the school!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Me!

Horse and I were out hacking, bumbling along quite happily on a long rein. I coughed and horse shot off until I could compose myself and stop her. I think she was enjoying herself so much she forgot I was up there :p.

Flicker

Visit site
A crack in a white garden wall. My utterly fearless, bombproof horse did a 180 and then had to be pony club kicked past it, snorting and piaffing. What an eejit!

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
My big lad - the shadow of his own head on the road when the sun came out.

My little colt - his own fart! He shot off across the field bucking, which of course prompted more farting. He kept looking back at his own bum as though it was chasing him. He really is as thick as two short planks.

Archangel

Visit site
A bit of frost on a muck heap. Apparently that warranted a spook that was so big somehow our back legs slipped from under us and we went over backwards. *sigh*

TeamChaser

Visit site
A woman with bright orange hair - embarrassing. A young child eating an ice cream - also embarrassing as we very nearly wiped out said child. Purple flowers - only purple ones. Those big leaves that look like a rhubarb plant. Girl leading a shetland pony - couldn't actually get past that at all, poor girl had to hide down someones driveway. A very small black sheep which had the audacity to stand right by the fence and look at us and the biggest breakdown ever was at a deer on the path in the woods.... despite the fact there were several in the far side of the field they're turned out in the day before

JustKickOn

Visit site
Random daffodils amongst other daffodils
Robert Wiseman dairy trucks that are painted like cows
Drains because that's where the troll lives and he eats horses
And when she is in a particular mood, air.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
An old man on a mobility scooter...
A pot noodle pot someone left by the school..
Oh and a zebra crossing he walked over everyday but it suddenly looked different!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
My mare is completely bomb proof - police cars, ambulances, ice cream trucks, all no bother. Sheep lying down in the field though are evil - sheep stood up are no problem, only lay down...

PollyP99

Visit site
Her own rug on the ground in her field, I'd just removed it! She went full on Welsh snorting dragon and approached it and retreated many times, galloping in between, nut job!

ozpoz

Visit site
Oz used to spook at his own pile of hay in the field, daily. : )
First sight of a shetland was horrifying, too.

TelH

Visit site
White lines painted on the road... (In his defence he was only a baby and had never seen them before...)

My mini Shettie scared the stuffing out of a huge 17hh+ heavyweight hunter at a show once. We were heading to the m+m ring, bloke on hunter heading in the other direction, plenty of space to pass each other but the hunter was having none of it... snorting, passage, piaffe, rein back at something approaching the speed of sound, the whole works at her. Luckily the bloke saw the funny side of it :D

Llee94

Visit site
Horses own nose! He brushed it through the hedge and it made him jump. He was also petrified of his own shadow and different coloured tarmac.

sarahann1

Visit site
A piece of sellotape flickering in the wind off of an arena marker. Arched neck and snorting the lot, she was NOT happy about it. A tractor in the arena harrowing at the same time I was on her was perfectly fine!

Bav

Visit site
Other horses coughing. Tree stumps. People, but only particular people. We have an abbey that we ride around and local care companies take their young disabled customers for walks around it, its mortifyingly embarrassing but my mare freaks out when she sees them. She isn't very PC...
Oh and today she freaked out at the sound of the branches against my jacket as she took me as close to the tree as possible.

catembi

Visit site
His own poo. Freshly done = not scarey at all; run over by a few cars = horse-eating monster deserving of a full-on breakdown. D'urrr.....

T x