Whats the difference between chaff and hi fi?

mizzymoo

Visit site
Hey,
whats the difference between chaff and hi fi? i currently feed dengie original hi fi,

there seems to be so many types out there of chaff hi fi's?
is chaff bad?
what do you prefer to feed?

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
As said Dengie Hi fi is chaff.
In my opinion chaff based feeds are fab, I think alot horses can do well on a base of chaff in their feed and perhaps a balancer with it for example. I personally think there are too many cereal feeds out there fed to horses that do not need it. I think chaff is great for horses as a nice filling base to add a dash of whatever else they require.
grin.gif

TGM

Visit site
As said above, HiFi is a type of chaff. Chaff consists of some type of short chop fibre - normally alfalfa, straw or grass, or a mixture thereof. Some cheap chaffs are just chopped straw coated quite heavily with molasses to ensure palatability, and these chaffs do not contribute much nutritionally to the diet, plus will probably contain too much sugar for a laminitic.

There are various forms of Hi Fi (ie Lite, Original, Senior), but Hi Fi Lite is a mixture of alfalfa and straw with a low sugar coating and has a similar nutritional value to hay, so can be used as a partial or full hay replacer for laminitics or dentally-challenged horses. You could not use a cheap, mollassed straw-based chaff in that way.