What's the furthest you would travel for a yard?

littlen

Visit site
Assuming that the horse would live out 24/7 with supervision at all times so no jobs just go groom and ride? Someone on site to deal with any emergencies 24 hours a day.

Thoughts on how far is acceptable to travel say 3x weekly?

MileAMinute

Visit site
3 times a week? It would depend on personal circumstances and how good the yard was for my requirements. If those 3 days were on my days off from work, I'd say around 30 mins.

Last edited:

Jazmyn101

Visit site
The most I would travel for would probably be 30 minutes. All the yards in my area at 10 minutes from me at the most. Mine is about 3-4 mins with no traffic.

littlen

Visit site
sorry forgot to say yard offers full grass livery so no jobs,held for vet or farrier, feeding and rug changes also included.
Yard is lots cheaper than current so not worried about travel costs.
Most importantly it suits horse and he would be very happy there.
I could realistically travel 3x weekly, maybe more to ride only depending on shift pattern. If on my worst shift it would be days off only.
I only would have to ride and groom, nothing else.

Pony in question has a major issue with 99% of yards yet this one is perfect but I can't decide if it's unrealistic to travel.

littlen

Visit site
Sorry that information would help wouldn't it!

It's approx 35-40mins depending on traffic. Facilities are amazing and suit horse perfectly. Most yards in my area are unsuitable for one reason or another as horse has many behaviour issues!

Annagain

Visit site
If I didn't have to get there twice a day - especially in the morning - and it was cheap enough that the extra fuel isn't an issue, I'd consider 30 minutes if it had EVERYTHING I was looking for. The hacking would have to be amazing for that though as well as decent facilities and turnout. If there were any other compromises 15-20 minutes.

AmieeT

Visit site
Tbh I'd say do it. You sound like you have the mindset of going.

Mine can take anywhere between 10mins at 5.30am, but around 30-40mins at 5.30pm in rush hour! (Even longer atm with several en route road closures)

Ax

BorgRae

Visit site
I travel 25 minutes every day to my current yard....

There are NO good yards anywhere near me that offer winter turnout so I have no choice but to travel further out.

Fo me the travel is a sacrifice I have to make. On bad traffic days it can take 30 minutes +, on good days 20 :)

If it would suit your horse, I would go for it!!

windand rain

Visit site
If you have plenty time distance is not an issue mine are 10 min away but if someone else was keeping an eye then further would be fine

be positive

Visit site
Sorry that information would help wouldn't it!

It's approx 35-40mins depending on traffic. Facilities are amazing and suit horse perfectly. Most yards in my area are unsuitable for one reason or another as horse has many behaviour issues!

I think that is not too far if it ticks all the boxes, I was expecting you to say it was 1 hour plus, you only have to go at times to suit you, any emergencies will be covered until you can get there, it is probably a sensible option and if you find it doesn't work out you can move before next winter.

WelshD

Visit site
I'd happily travel for an hour each way in those circumstances

Provided you have your own reasonably economical transport and aren't reliant on anyone else for lifts I would do it

wench

Visit site
In general... it would depend on a whole load of factors for me personally. Does yard suit the horse? How much money I have to spend on livery? What the facilities are like in relation what I want to be doing with the horse? Distance, and travel time and cost.

Hetsmum

Visit site
I travel 25 minutes every day to my current yard....

There are NO good yards anywhere near me that offer winter turnout so I have no choice but to travel further out.

Fo me the travel is a sacrifice I have to make. On bad traffic days it can take 30 minutes +, on good days 20 :)

If it would suit your horse, I would go for it!!

^^^^This. I travel 20 mins with a good run and up to 40 in rush hour traffic. I do that twice a day as no livery option. Yard is however perfect for my horses. If you work shifts too you may well be travelling when traffic is not so bad? My 5.30am trip to yard is quick but if I leave at 5.30pm it's a killer. If I trusted yard completely then I too would go for it. Good luck!

Steorra

Visit site
I share a horse on a yard that's 25 mins from work and 40 mins from home. The horse is fab, his owners are lovely, the yard has the right facilities for me and overall the set-up works. Distance is the only drawback.

3 evenings a week is fine, though by the time I get home it's late and I'm tired. I couldn't do it every day.

wyrdsister

Visit site
One of mine is currently at rehab 20 minutes away, the other on full 50 miles away. It's actually cheaper for me to commute a couple of times a week than keep LP locally. The price difference between areas is over £200 and I get her looked after better where she is. Stick with what suits you and your horse!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It depends on what your needs are but don't underestimate how off-putting driving 45 minutes would be. That is 1.5 hours each time you go and see your horse and so by the time you groom and ride that is half a day gone especially this time of year. If you have plenty of leisure time it may not be such a problem but experience of travelling 20 miles (30 minutes) to yard through rush hour traffic was not a happy one especially in winter. It is really easy to start to think - Can I be bothered to drive that far in the crap weather? Am I really going to ride when I get there? Maybe I'll go tomorrow?

Also when things go wrong i.e. your horse is poorly you are miles away. For me when mine got colic (thankfully mild) it was the final straw that made me want him a lot nearer home.

Theocat

Visit site
40 minutes each way three times a week is less than doing ten minutes each way twice a day, which plenty of people on DIY would think nothing of.

Personally I wouldn't ever travel more than 15-20 minutes maximum for a perfect yard, and only 20 if I wasn't going every day - I used to do 35 each way about four days a week; never again. It felt like my whole life was spent travelling!

mytwofriends

Visit site
The yard sounds perfect, and seeing as you have the luxury of 24/7 turnout, and no time-consuming jobs to do, you can probably afford to travel a bit more.

I'd go for it, and not let the opportunity pass :)

indiat

Visit site
It sounds like a fantastic yard, one I would jump at like a shot as my boy hates being stabled. I suppose 30 minutes would be my maximum but I don't think any yard around here offers that kind of livery so I would go up to 45 minutes if my horse was happy.

albeg

Visit site
I travel an hour each way on public transport (longer at rush hour, but worth it imo), pony is well looked after, has the 24/7 turnout he requires, and is in good hands when I'm not there.

Grinchmass

Visit site
Tbh I'd say do it. You sound like you have the mindset of going.

Mine can take anywhere between 10mins at 5.30am, but around 30-40mins at 5.30pm in rush hour! (Even longer atm with several en route road closures)

Ax

Oh the joys of Bristol traffic, it is a nightmare!