Whats the most important aspect of a livery yard?

Jojo_27

Visit site
I have just taken on a new equestrian establishment and will be running it as a livery yard.

Would love to get some feedback off those who have/have had their horses in livery as to what matters/mattered most to you?

Obviously I know facilities etc are important but when it comes down to it what really makes the difference to a horse owner?

Many thanks!!

Lucky788

Visit site
For me it's turnout (ideally 24/7 at least in summer) and good hacking everything else is a bonus.

exracehorse

Visit site
Chuck off any nightmare liveries. I've been in a position where the yard owner didn't want to get involved and good liveries were leaving because of one bad egg, horrible atmosphere. Monthly group get together with owner to have a chat and discuss any issues rather than usual bitching in tack room, that all horses have to be wormed or egg count done.

9tails

Visit site
Mine is horse's friends. As she lives there, I want her to be happy. Liveries come and go, some are nice and some aren't.

A well maintained school, stables and fencing, access to good hacking and preferably easy to get there even in the worst weather.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't personally care about indoor/outdoor schools, horse walkers or fancy jumps as long as the hacking is good. I do care about daily turnout for a decent amount of time, not just 20 mins while you muck out, all year round (group turnout is fine as is private/individual fields as long as I could put my horses in together) which could be on an all weather turnout pen if the ground is clay. A nice environment with good feeling (a good yard owner seems essential here) and a YO that actually lets you know if your horse is injured (a bad bit of personal experience there) so you can call the Vet promptly if required. A bit of storage room and somewhere to tie up for the farrier, vet, tacking up etc... if grass livery with no stable.

ETA - a loo. :)

hollyandivy123

Visit site
consistent rules..........................the same for all your liveries,

if you have no lone school use between 4pm and 7pm then that applies to all. if they need sole use then they have to work around people not the other way round.

all livery are equal...............in the sense that they have access to the basic set up whether full or part.

also just because someone is off to hoys does not mean that the happy hacker is last in the physio booking or lesson with the trainer

if you have the persistent borrower and none returner...............you will end with a bad atmosphere etc tell them bye!

other than that a smile and a well maintained yard

good luck

Kaylum

Visit site
all weather school, not one that floods. Must have lights. 24 hour access to your horse. Extra services like turn out in a morning, holiday cover. YO that knows what they are doing if they are in charge. Well looked after fields.

FairyLights

Visit site
good turnout which means horses in stable social groups natural shelter room to canter about and restricted grazing in summer if necessary. Also friendly people no bitchiness and people feeling they are wanted and valued.

Hanson

Visit site
Communication!

Simple things like a quick text to tell that horse has lost shoe so farrier can be contacted same day, rather than turning up after work and having to wait til next day to make calls etc...happy to pay for this.

Knowing that when you book things to be done, they will be done. For example, can horse be turned out for a couple of hours ( not left in because it's too Rainy, too windy, too hot... Or in other word too much effort).

Nice atmosphere essential- have enough office politics, don't need them at yard.

Clean loo! And if poss, a clean area to get changed- simple but clean please.

Good luck xxx

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Most important to me is the people who will be seeing to my horse to be honest and to follow instructions. It only takes once of "She'll never know" for me to be gone.

For example, she'll never know.... we "borrowed" some supplement, turned her horse out with X, left her horse stood in, gave it a wallop, topped up hay/water rather than empty and refill, put another horse in my stable.....

Often I would have been OK with stuff if I had been asked, or at least told, but one time something is done behind my back and that is it.

I keep mine at home now, I know everything!

TBH I am so sceptical I would love a CCTV system accessible by mobile via website. Not as expensive as you would think.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
A good approachable and efficient YO who will deal with any problem liveries ASAP before they have time to rot and fester.

Good organisation in the yard so that everyone knows what's what.

A good staff who are directly responsible to the YO/YM and know their jobs and allocated responsibilities.

Good communication between YO/YM, her staff, and the liveries, and a system in place where problems can be discussed and addressed.

Some kind of contract in place, clearly detailing YO and liveries responsibilities and who does what.

Clearly stated and defined rules, i.e. no smoking, no running, safety-wear, dress code etc clearly stated so no-one is in doubt

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Turnout! Must be some available every day unless its hugely extreme weather. The other thing for me with a good doer, is suitable grazing. Far too many livery yards have tiny bowling green type paddocks which dont work for me or my boy :)

Dusty85

Visit site
Things that have worked well at previous yards:

* Having a yard vet visit one day per month (obviously depends on the size of the yard)- meant no call out for routine things like vaccinations, checks or dentistry etc.

*Enforced worming schedule.

*Being able to turnout in all weathers, and have the option of changing the turnout to over the night in the summer.

*Central place, such as tack room, for cup of tea chit chat etc.

*Having a separate rug storage room for rugs out of season etc and saves people moaning for taking up tack room space (or husbands for moaning about having them at home!)

*Decent fencing- if anyone else's horse is a particular houdini or likes trashing fences that efforts are made to keep them in their paddock rather than ending up in with yours!!

Things Ive ranked pretty high on my list:

All year turnout is a MUST- I will not compromise on this.
Nice people, no bitching (I get this is pretty impossible however when you bunch a group of horsey people together!)
If there is a school, that it is well maintained.

npage123

Visit site
All year turnout with safe fencing is the most important aspect.
Off-road/on-site hacking has also become necessary now my horse is semi-retired.
Also, the yard owner (and any staff looking after my horse) have to be experienced in the day-to-day running of a yard and must 'know horses' - I wouldn't want my horse on a full livery yard where it's e.g. a new venture for someone that don't truly know what they're doing when it comes to equines.

Horsey Sophie

Visit site
For me: it must be group/herd turnout all year round, good hacking and the ability to use your own instructors/farrier/vet and other professionals.

little-mis

Visit site
for me it doesn't have to be top of the range fancy stables but does have to be practical. Freedom to come and go at any time but still allowing some security to the yard. Turnout especially in winter as well as restricted grazing in summer.
Friendly people with any bitchiness clamped down on quickly. Good school with lights but also some fields to use in summer. i always use to look for child free yards but that had to change because I have my own child!

tristar

Visit site
I keep mine at home, thank god!

but when I have used yards, between house moving etc., it was a nightmare.

I was on one good yard, it was the owner that was good, always helpful, good communication, agree monthly meeting is a great idea, to clear the air, create a community spirit and let all have their say, make suggestions to create routines for the benefit of all, mainly the horses.

but it really comes down to the boss, and dedication to caring for the horses so people trust you with the horses, its stressful without worrying whats going on when you are not there.

not many have what it takes to manage a group of people, but it can be achieved by putting the horses first, and just being fair

Lillybob

Visit site
Turnout is a massive deal for me! Was looking recently for a yard and turned down a load of them through lack of turnout. Ended up booking a space at a yard that has 24/7 in the summer and daytime in the winter tournout. Off road hacking is also pretty big for me and non-isolated turnout. They're herd animals, let them be social :)

canteron

Visit site
Chuck off any nightmare liveries. I've been in a position where the yard owner didn't want to get involved and good liveries were leaving because of one bad egg, horrible atmosphere. Monthly group get together with owner to have a chat and discuss any issues rather than usual bitching in tack room.

This absolutely. And don't let there be any 'prima donnas' who think they are better because they have better horses/more money. Put some very strict 'behaviour' rules in when people join - you can always relax them later.

minimex2

Visit site
I think everyone has different priorities and different times.

We have moved from a yard with fab facilities and turnout. Horse had accident and became lame, resulting in months box rest/small pen turnout - we couldnt do this at this yard.

Moved - eventhough facilities arent so good, we have the perfect rehab set up with small pen etc. YM is also so carring taking away alot of the emotion away from us and is around most of the day keeping eye out.

So before incident it was facilities, now care and attention. - its amazing after talking to lots of people not many yards have sick paddocks etc.

misskk88

Visit site
Good turn out. Preferably 24/7 in summer. Definitely no yards that only turn out for an hour or two every day. If that's the case there are too many liveries and not enough grazing (where I am the land isn't clay and so usually fields stay ok throughout winter)! If out 24/7 then natural or man made shelter is a must, especially is this heat!

A YO/YM who knows what is going on and keeps its owners appropriately informed, particularly if horse becomes injured, pulls a shoe etc. I hate turning up to a yard to then only be told 'Oh BTW, your horse has done this'. Even on a DIY yard they should know whose coming/going, any issues, and should be happy to iron anything out. A good atmosphere is essential for happy horse and owner. For some, the option of assistance (paying yard workers for it or exchanging work with another livery), is great too.

A poo picking/worming/ragwort etc routine. I am surprised by how many yards don't do all of this and yet have small fields which are not big enough to get away with not poo picking, maintaining or rotating!

I would prefer decent hacking over a decent school. But a school is nice, as long as the surface is good. I would avoid schools which are too deep or uneven, or are at least not properly maintained.

webble

Visit site
I don't think there is one thing and it depends on your target market. For me a happy hacker who will do the odd clinic and fun ride important things are 24/7 turnout summer and daily turnout winter, good safe secure fencing and stable, option to limit grazing if needed, outdoor school with good surface, decent hacking, reasonable amount of storage, option to buy in my own feed and bedding or buy it on site at a reasonable price

Annagain

Visit site
There's plenty that I want in an ideal yard but the two things that would make me leave are lack of turnout (or unsafe turnout) and a bad atmosphere. Minimum turnout for me is 24/7 in summer and at least 10 hours a day in winter.

The rest can all be overcome with a flexible YO who's willing to help (e.g. one of mine was on box rest and YO let me have her little lambing paddock for him in the daytime, she's also set up a strip at the side of the field for one of the ponies who's had laminitis so he can go out and see his friends every day).

In terms of facilities - on a sliding scale they are:

decent, big stables. (two 16.3+ horses)
access to ok hacking at the least (don't mind a bit of road work)
floodlit school at least 20x40, bigger or indoor a bonus
plenty of (secure, dry) storage
trailer parking
hot running water (I have 2 greys!)
turnout with access to a barn so they could choose whether to be in or out themselves.
being able to bring own instructor onsite (to fit in with a school booking system if necessary)
solarium to dry them off after bathing (I know this is very unlikely!)

Last edited:

skint1

Visit site
I think happiness on a yard comes down to having facilities which meet your individual needs as a horse owner and having autonomy over how you care for your horse (within reason)

I also personally think that if a yard provides unlimited hay/haylage and straw/other bedding by including it in the price of livery this saves a lot of arguing and accusations, so that would be a bonus for me.

Jojo_27

Visit site
Wow guys thanks so much for all the feedback! You've confirmed my suspicions of what would be most important to owners and am feeling hopeful that my new set-up will accommodate happy horses!!

spacefaer

Visit site
I think happiness on a yard comes down to having facilities which meet your individual needs as a horse owner and having autonomy over how you care for your horse (within reason)

I also personally think that if a yard provides unlimited hay/haylage and straw/other bedding by including it in the price of livery this saves a lot of arguing and accusations, so that would be a bonus for me.

I would agree with this

And add, professionalism and mutual respect. That covers most aspects.

I've run livery yards and been a livery myself - both sides can be very stressful but communication is vital.

Yard owners who say yes to everyone who asks and then never deal with the chaos that then ensues is one of my particular bugbears!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

Not if you have a pony and others feed to excess because its "free"
Best bedding idea was a bale of shavings delivered to every stable weekly, then one could buy more if needed, but no horses were doing without.
The yard I was at charged depending on size of the stable, so small ponies had a small stable, big horses a large one and the others had mid price. This worked well for forage included, , there was hay and haylage available ad lib.

Last edited: