What's the obsession with buckskins and duns?

SpringArising

Visit site
On my local FB pages, buckskins and duns always seem to get triple the amount of comments than an equally nice sounding horse of a different colour.

Even if the horse is a pokey looking cut and shut job, people go crazy.

Why is that? Has there ever been such a hype about any other colour?

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
There is always more interest in anything with unusual colouring, people like to stand out from the crowd ! Plus a lot of dun horses seem like useful sorts

Reactions: DD

Chuffy99

Visit site
Sad person I am they’re top of my list, love them, never had a bad one and out of many dozen owned, duns would be my 1 & 2 special ponies ( though possibly now after our very special pink pony)

catembi

Visit site
I love mine! He is a good boy...quiet and gentle. I didn’t set out to buy a buckskin or a QH for that matter, but I liked him a lot more than the one I went to see. And now I’ve got him, I like the ‘different’ colour 😄

frostie652

Visit site
I have a dun and white only because I wasn't patient enough to get a solid one, the reason for me was that there was a lady who used to ride a dun around the village when I was little and I always thought she looked so glamorous! Also they're mud colour (also having a grey mare, definately didn't fancy two) so they're much easier to get looking clean :D

windand rain

Visit site
Just happened to be the colour the pony the OH chose He bought his first pony 2 years ago and he fell in love with her personality she just happened to be buckskin

Reactions: DD

honetpot

Visit site
The dark dun or the dappled dun is the pony of my childhood, when they were very rare. My favorite connie brood mare was a beautiful dappled dun, 13.2 and built like a small tank, with pale eyes. People love palominos as well, they are just very striking.
I have a cremello connemara, which has a lovely head, it just a shame the rest of him is cut and shut.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
'Cos they're a lovely colour? I don't generally pay much attention to the colours (unless there's a specific call for such in a display or movie), but I'm partial to a dapple grey. Light colours are more noticeable, generally, and I get bored with brown things.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I was bought my first dun who was a smashing horse 41 years ago. He was cheap, a bogoff and a foal and I still regret ever selling him. 2 years ago I bought a much darker dun Connie. Nothing to do with the colour but right time, right price and exactly what I was looking for.

As a child my dream horse was a dapple grey. Thankfully I've grown up and realise what a lucky escape I had 😂

Snowfilly

Visit site
I was always told a 'dun' probably actually buckskin was the mark of a good sound horse who'd never let you down. I think a lot of them were connemara descendants.

In general, something unusual is always going to get more attention than another bay. Roans, palominos and anything with blue eyes tends to get commented on as well.

I think they've become harder to find recently as grey is swamping the connemara gene pool to the exclusion of everything else, and the welsh part breds tend to be section A and B based.

Visit site
They used to be rare. I love them. I really wished I'd had room for SLH's Akhal Teke cross!

I've never seen or met a bad one, that I can remember.

Bit off topic, but......God if I were a better horsewoman I'd love an akhal teke (in any colour)! They are simply stunning IMHO.
Also I will say buckskin/dun is quite a flattering colour for a horse I think, I guess because of the contrast between body & points.
But think I still like spotties best ..... (me? Bias? Nah...honest).

Starzaan

Visit site
Mine is an absolute toad so helpfully dispels the belief that there is no such thing as a bad dun.

However, he is beautifully put together, and very lovely to look at... and I’ve never met another dun as big as he is - 17.3hh is a lot of yellow!

windand rain

Visit site
Mine is an absolute toad so helpfully dispels the belief that there is no such thing as a bad dun.

However, he is beautifully put together, and very lovely to look at... and I’ve never met another dun as big as he is - 17.3hh is a lot of yellow!
He is likely not dun either but buckskin

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
dorsal does not mean dun.

The dun (D) gene is not present in connemara ponies, they are all buckskins but the society seem to be the slowest to pick up on this fact.

the ND1 (not dun 1) gene adds primitive markings without dilution and can be present with a cream dilution. And a lot of 'dorsals' do not go properly through the tail which dun does.

windandrain is your buckskin roan too? looks expansive if so.

Bernster

Visit site
Aye I really like the colour too. Wouldn’t go specifically looking for one and wouldn’t overlook faults for the colour, but def one that would catch my eye.