What's the worse horse care job????

NooNoo59

Visit site
When i ran my own yard it was definitely forking up the muck heap and moving the electric fence, what a job, tape everywhere, not enough stakes grrrr!! now its soaking haynets and trying to clean the stable walls. But would much rather do the dirty jobs than not look after my horse myself!!

flirtygerty

Visit site
Another one for sheath cleaning, my lad saw the rubber gloves and headed for the hills, I got a great tip on here that really works, squirt it with baby oil
when he's got it out, when my lad was displaying himself to the new mare, I was in the field shaking the baby oil, you have never seen anything disappear
so fast lol

rockysmum

Visit site
Cleaning out the automatic waterers in winter.

You have to put your hand inside once its empty to stop the ball cock from letting more water in while you screw the stopper back in.

I end up with red raw hands from this every time.

Abbeygale

Visit site
All the bog standard jobs I don't mind - my worst day of the year is definitely hay baling day. Our field is on a slope all the way across it, and the bales furthest down the slope are always the heaviest. You end up with hay in places that should just NEVER have hay, sore fingers - regardless of gloves, and Stabby marks fron throwing bales around all over arms and legs. Horrid day.

I always very much look forward to the evening after its all put away and we can sit back and admire the nice full barn :)

sheilaaellis44

New User
Visit site
Since you have the barn space, put out an add that you will board someone's horse for them. THey pay you to house the animal and they feed it, and you can take care of it. If you find the right person, you may also be able to ride/excersize the horse for them. You will have to communicate with the boarder exactly who will do what as far as cleaning, feeding, and riding the animal, but it's an option for you if you really want to work horses but can't afford your own.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Trying to put cream on Captain's one dandruffy/eczema swirl whilst avoiding teeth and hooves, he would never dream of kicking but this time of year, every year, he get this one whorl that gets eczema in it. Fany is her legs she has very dense thick wiry, not silky, feather and an innate ability to pooh and pee down into her feather, and rub it in.

Those saying willy washing please check out the several threads discussing this, what not to use, eg baby oil etc.
FDC

Last edited:

nikCscott

Visit site
I know I can buy a tester but needed to find out what was going on then a there- need not have bothered though as the important bit were clearly working as when i went down yesterday afternoon- instead of waling through the tape the 11hh sec must have jumped it (4ft +) as he was out and no broken tapes.

Those of you who are not enjoying you willy washing can i suggest Forever aloe spray I spray it on my geldings' willies when the have them out after a wee and they are pink and shiny! Also use it instead of purple spray- great stuff!

Auslander

Visit site
Since you have the barn space, put out an add that you will board someone's horse for them. THey pay you to house the animal and they feed it, and you can take care of it. If you find the right person, you may also be able to ride/excersize the horse for them. You will have to communicate with the boarder exactly who will do what as far as cleaning, feeding, and riding the animal, but it's an option for you if you really want to work horses but can't afford your own.

Two posts-with absolutely no relevance to the thread topic, what gives?

I very very hate clearing up after an icy spell when you've mucked out onto the yard to make it safe to move horses around! Yuk!,