Whats wrong with her feet?

RubysGold

Visit site
Sorry, I'm having a mental block and can't remember what parts of the foot are called, so I will explain the best I can. The bit of skin between the frog and her leg, is really soft, I think it's part of the coronet band, but I'm not sure :S
052709170832.jpg

052709170823.jpg

The coronet band looks just as odd as the back of the foot, and on the second picture, you can see that it's breaking off.
052709171430.jpg

052709171444.jpg

Please tell me what is wrong, or is it normal? I don't know enough about feet
Nickie

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Its called periopal and its very very dry. your horses feet look extremely dry do you put anything on them? if not you need too?

Hoof heal is a good moisuriser. dont use hoof oil as it doesnt have any moisturising properties and can dry the feet out further as the oil just prevents any moisture getting in

Even just wetting her feet can help moisturising them, then let them dry off a bit and paint on some hoof heal or other product similar

LadyRascasse

Visit site
ditto the farrier (obviously) i was told by my farrier to make the hoof damp with a sponge before putting hoof ointments on as it helps look in the mousiture

RubysGold

Visit site
Thank you TheFarrier, I will look online to buy a hoof heal.
Does it go all over the hoof? or just on the wall?
Nickie

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Looks like my boys back feet. Farrier said it has to do with some trauma/change that happened a couple of months back (three day journey, change of diet and return to work in my case). FB also has a massive ridge/dent round each of his hooves where he had cortisone last year. His feet are also very dry as not been look after properly while he wasn' with me.

We were advised to brush coronet band with something like a soft toothbrush to stimulate blood flow and to keep the hoof 'greased'. ie use a hoof treatment on it.

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
All over the hoof. and the sole (is also very dry which is why you see that cracking) hoof heal is great most of my clients use it and at about £9 is very reasonable.

dont use it more often than what it says on the tin (three times per week i think) as this makes the feet soft

And you are very welcome

RubysGold

Visit site
Could you suggest one for me to use, there's so many different types, I don't want to end up with the wrong type.
Thanks
Nickie

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
The product is called hoof heal. i will have a quick look online and come back with a link for you.

its the one ive seen the most consistant results with.

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
They look quite dry, my youngsters get like that in the summer and Effol is fantastic!
My bosses tb has such dry coronary bands that they have completely cracked and started to separate from the leg and come red raw. Vet told us to use udder cream for cows round the top of his hooves as it is the best stuff and has made an amazing difference!