What's your definition of a schoolmaster?

oldie48

Visit site
I've had new horse for nearly six months now and he's taught me so much and though not described as a schoolmaster I think, for me, he pretty much fits the bill. He's 12 years old, evented up to novice level as a 6 year old but moved on to dressage with very good scores at both novice and elementary but trained to a higher level and not over competed. He's very well mannered, not at all spooky or silly and has a lovely attitude to work. He's not a beginner or novice horse as he's forward going and sensitive but what I feel makes him a good schoolmaster is that he gives you what he thinks you have asked for, wants to please and doesn't really have any evasions. When I get everything right, he's awesome when I don't he's good enough. He's also very trainable so I feel he will progress as I progress. I feel so lucky to have found him. What do you look for in a schoolmaster?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
A school master IMO is something that is experienced, honest and relatively forgiving of someone not quite at their level. That can translate on many levels. A schoolmaster for a novice rider will be different to a schoolmaster for a more advanced rider who wants to learn more advanced moves. But both will probably be genuine, patient types who will go "yeah, you didn't quite ask for that correctly, but I know what you meant" or "we're not quite on the right stride but I'll sort it", giving the rider confidence and feel for what they're learning. Less honest, less forgiving horses would refuse or get upset perhaps..

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Something that when I apply the aid in the right manner, responds in the right way.

Also in my world, something that gives me the confidence to go back out on my own!

Camilla, take a bow.

DJ

Visit site
A school master IMO is something that is experienced, honest and relatively forgiving of someone not quite at their level. That can translate on many levels. A schoolmaster for a novice rider will be different to a schoolmaster for a more advanced rider who wants to learn more advanced moves. But both will probably be genuine, patient types who will go "yeah, you didn't quite ask for that correctly, but I know what you meant" or "we're not quite on the right stride but I'll sort it", giving the rider confidence and feel for what they're learning. Less honest, less forgiving horses would refuse or get upset perhaps..

^^ this, to a tee :)

Batgirl

Visit site
to me a schoolmaster must be forgiving but not do what I think I want but what I ask (this is for dressage). This teaches me to use the right aids and is what I consider a school master. A horse that goes, yeah I get it I'll do it is a push button horse not a schoolmaster. But I am probably splitting hairs :)

Pippity

Visit site
I'd say there's a difference between a schoolmaster and a horse that teaches you a lot. In my mind, a schoolmaster is a horse that demands precision in aids, but responds to those aids when they're given correctly without (too much) evasion - and obviously there's a difference between a wtc schoolmaster and an advanced dressage schoolmaster.

My share is not a schoolmistress, because she's too damn lazy! However, she has taught me a lot.

schneeko

Visit site
I agree with Batgirl. My old boy is widely considered a schoolmaster. My instructor likes to borrow him to teach people to 'get a horse in an outline' (for want of a better phrase). He's not easy but if you ask correctly, he's very wiling and that's more useful for teaching :) He is, as described above, very forgiving and doesn't mind if you make a mistake

Tobiano

Visit site
I'd suggest a schoolmaster is a horse that has been schooled to a very high standard and on whom one can get the feel of more advanced movements. A calm temperament would also be part of the package (the 'forgiving' point above).

Lottiedots

Visit site
I was thinking about this the other day. My old boyI consider a school master. he knows his job, in the school he is very tolerant , honest, forgiving,he will do anything if you ask reasonably correctly . He gives the rider confidence and is easy to handle on and off the ground. I see young horses advertised as "school masters". In my opinion a school master has to be an older horse who has years of experience and knows his job.
What I wasn't sure about does a school master have to be a school master all round? e.g. flat work, jumping, hacking etc.? A friend said she couldn't advertise her horse as a school master as she is afraid of bicycles and motor bikes but is a fantastic school master other wise…..

SadKen

Visit site
I think my girl is a schoolmistress. She's calm, patient and will try her best to please, but the best thing about her is that you have to get it right for her to go sweetly. If you're not doing it right, she won't object and she'll still try, but you get it right and click! She goes perfectly. It's a great barometer for my riding as I can try different things and she's patient while I'm doing it.

oldie48

Visit site
Yes, this is exactly what I meant, my boy gives you what you have asked for so if you have got the aid a bit wrong, you don't get the correct outcome, but ask correctly and you get a correct response and he doesn't have a bag full of evasions to confuse me.QUOTE=SadKen;12649978]I think my girl is a schoolmistress. She's calm, patient and will try her best to please, but the best thing about her is that you have to get it right for her to go sweetly. If you're not doing it right, she won't object and she'll still try, but you get it right and click! She goes perfectly. It's a great barometer for my riding as I can try different things and she's patient while I'm doing it.[/QUOTE]

micramadam

Visit site
Our semi-retired 21 yo Fjord is the perfect definition of a schoolmaster. He's been there, done it and got the rug for it! From jumping competitions to official advanced dressage competitions, pony games to hours of happy hacking. Nothing phases him. He is also a real confidence giver. When a beginner rides him he is the perfect gentleman who forgives their mistakes and when they give the correct aids he responds. When a more advanced rider rides him he is more alert and not so forgiving of mistakes and more on his toes. Imke Schellekens - Bartels rode him once and loved him! Couldn't quite see her in the Olympics on him though!
He is the absolute bombproof 14.2 pony and more than worth his weight in gold. He is very well known in the area because of how he is and everyone loves him!

rowan666

Visit site
This in a nut shell