What's your favorite type of clip?

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Mine favorite types of clip are the hunter clip, full clip & blanket clip :)

My little sister's pony, Lilly, showing off her blanket clip. (please excuse the blurry photo)

7ab841780949a70dbd6a63212a277f79.jpg

My mare, Sunny, with her hunter clip.

11c5e30692e0dc344ebd4272261ebadc.jpg

And Lilly again, this time sporting the full clip :)

5dfd327bc4dd556783ca58e7e0e502e9.jpg

Last edited:

9tails

Visit site
I do a high trace in autumn then a full clip in winter with legs on. I don't like blanket clips personally, I find rugging my hot horse difficult as she gets too hot over her back or has a cold belly. She's barely rugged when she has a trace.

Last edited:

Suechoccy

Visit site
Bib or something halfway between a bib and a low trace because then mine can still live out 24/7 without rugs most of the time (except when weather very foully wet/cold and they get a rug).

touchstone

Visit site
I prefer the most minimal clip needed, I'm not a fan of full clips as I feel they are rarely warranted and the most I've clipped off mine is a blanket or chaser clip.

CrazyEquestrian

Visit site
Owen had a hunter clip last year and he did look rather dashing. I've gone for a chaser clip tis year and he looks very smart, so either one of these I suppose! :)

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I think there is nothing cuter than a very, very fluffy pony with a bib clip - just adorable! Mine have never needed any more than a trace, but I think a well done clip in any style looks very smart.

Kat

Visit site
My clipping skills only stretch to bibs, chasers and hunter clips.

I think blanket clips are very practical and look great though. I don't really like full clips.

I love to see fluffy ponies with a trace/blanket/hunter clip so that they look like they are wearing big fluffy boots!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
The reason we have to fully clip Lilly is that she has Cushing's Disease, and so she can't shed her thick coat in the summer, hence the need to fully clip her.

springtime1331

Visit site
I like what I call a dealer clip - clip line from wither to stifle. I find it good as it takes off most of the hot areas but leaves all the hair on the back end to keep the big muscle groups warm. It can be a bit unflattering though and mess up their proportions some what. My TB/ connie is sporting one and it makes her front end look shorter.

Kati*89

Visit site
I love the look of a hunter clip, very smart! Mine doesn't need one at the moment but if I do end up clipping some off, I will probably only do a trace or blanket at most...he's not much fun to ride when his backs cold!

Sologirl

Visit site
I like what I call a dealer clip - clip line from wither to stifle. I find it good as it takes off most of the hot areas but leaves all the hair on the back end to keep the big muscle groups warm. It can be a bit unflattering though and mess up their proportions some what. My TB/ connie is sporting one and it makes her front end look shorter.

That's what my boy will be having, he sweats terribly on his neck, shoulder and belly but nowhere else, so it'd suit him perfectly - even if it makes him look odd(er) lol

windand rain

Visit site
I like a chaser clip as mine live out gets rid of hair where they sweat but leaves their backs warm
Set about doing a full clip on my highland the clippers blew up so have had to do a very odd tidy up with the trimmers so now she had a very large bib clip extending to her shoulder now need a new saddle for her daughter so money being tight she will have to look silly til it grows out as not enough in the tack kitty for both

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
The reason we have to fully clip Lilly is that she has Cushing's Disease, and so she can't shed her thick coat in the summer, hence the need to fully clip her.

It wasn't a criticism, and I can understand that in some circumstances a full clip is necessary.

By the way I recognise sunny from hunting, will you be at opening meet next Sunday?

HashRouge

Visit site
I work with show jumpers so they are clipped year round. Most of them have a full clip, occasionally with a saddle patch left, and I really do prefer it as they're so much easier to keep clean and to get dry when they don't have much hair. Nothing worse than a very hairy, very sweaty horse when you have to make sure they're spick and span and perfectly dry before you put them away! We've been leaving legs on a few recently what with the weather getting colder, but they'll probably be fully clipped again before they do any big shows. Even if they have the legs left on they almost always have the face off as it looks a lot smarter. We've got one we can't clip without vet sedation though as he was covered in sarcoids as a youngster and had to be repeatedly clipped when having them removed (before we had him) so seems to have very bad associations with being clipped. So he's quite hairy, but the rest are nice and smart! I got kicked clipping on the other week though - we've always left his legs on since he came to us but my boss asked me to clip them out this time and he took aversion to having the inside of his back legs done and kicked me hard (in the groin!)!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
It wasn't a criticism, and I can understand that in some circumstances a full clip is necessary.

By the way I recognise sunny from hunting, will you be at opening meet next Sunday?

I know it wasn't :) As I'm not a particular fan of the full clip either - but Lilly has to have it done :p

Yes I will! Do you also hunt with the 4 Shires? Come say hi if you see us at the Opening Meet next Sunday! :)

Last edited:

shadowboy

Visit site
I like a trace or chaser. Don't like the look of a full with legs and face off, but on a nice big chunky type I like the look of a hunter clip