What's your favourite breed?

Ruto

Visit site
Ohh I've got to say my favourite would be the Holstein Warmblood horse.
Favorite breed of pony would be the Connemara, though.:D
Although, I love anything dun or grey too. :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Same, highlands and PREs...

Highlands and PREs - and if JFTD doesn't do something about this lad (Highland x PRE) this year, I may well cave in to temptation :p

http://www.highlandponysociety.com/...nager&page=show_ad&adid=852&catid=1&Itemid=43

852a.jpg

So he's still for sale then :eek: I've been trying not to look / think about it... Thus far, sanity has prevailed, but he is so tempting :eek: Please give him a good home and save me from myself :cool:

CarolineJ

Visit site
Same, highlands and PREs...

So he's still for sale then :eek: I've been trying not to look / think about it... Thus far, sanity has prevailed, but he is so tempting :eek: Please give him a good home and save me from myself :cool:

I was rather hoping YOU were going to save ME from doing it :D

My logic at the moment is going something like this:

1) I really need a bombproof, sensible, older pony to get my hacking confidence back, not a youngster.
2) Kinkell Breagha is still for sale at Morrich, who fits that description perfectly from what I can tell.
3) Husband is transforming the shelter arrangements this summer, so I'll have an 18ftx12ft shelter and a 27ftx12ft shelter.
4) Which is enough shelter space for three.....
5) And by the time Mr Highland x PRE is ready to be backed (and there's a professional schooling yard not too far away who've turned out some lovely young horses for their owners), Merlin will be 20-22 and Breagha would be 19.
6) So the sensible thing to do is buy both of them :p

I need to get the money saved up though.

hessy12

Visit site
OK! Favourite is a mix of appaloosa (a decent line, not a skinny one) crossed with a decent TB (again, with decent bone and depth of chest) to make one fabulous horse, just like the one I have at the moment!
Like all breeds really. Even asses and donkeys.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh dear we have a problem then! My logic is that having 3 is not particularly helpful if I want to take 2 away for TREC pairs or horseball - D is fine by himself when I leave him alone for a few hours / half a day but I wouldn't like to leave him over night. So it would make sense in the short term for him to have a companion. They'd be coming into work at about the same time so I could do them at the same time...

I think your logic is more sound than mine :eek:

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Irish Draughts and Connemaras. My (extended) family breed IDs so I've always known/loved them and then Connies were my mini I'd :D I'm a big fan of all our native breeds really. And having been trekking on icelandics they're great wee things.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Am I one of the few people who find Akhal-tekes beautiful? I'd love to have one at some point in the future. My main love is Arabian horses but I also have a huge soft spot for TB ex-racers. :)

Native Speaker

Visit site
I'm another big, big fan of the Schwartzwälder Kaltblut (Black Forest Cold Blood)! :D:D
Here are two pics I took at the the Zugsleistungsprüfung at St Märgen in 2009 - both three year old mares.

I'm a carrige driver anyway, so these two appealed greatly to me.
And two pics from the Schwartzwälder festival in 2010

Yes, the Noriker is a different breed to this one. Back in the 1970's, the Black Forest was on the brink of extinction after the mechanisation of agriculture and forestry work in the post-war years. Thanks to the foresight of a handful of breeders (mostly owners of mares), Haflinger and South German Cold Bloods were used to resurrect the breed to the numbers we have today. Breeding is still mostly carried out in and around St Märgen by private individuals, but most of the stallions (currently approx. 50- 60 animals) are owned by Haupt-und Landgestüt Marbach. The breed is not seen much outside SW Germany, which is a bit of a shame, because I think they are beautiful, versatile animals, and much under estimated! :)

americanqh

Visit site
I love Quarter horses. I'm slightly biased because I mainly ride a Quarter horse but IMO they're great!

But I've always had a soft spot for Hackney horses and Thoroughbreds.

Enfys

Visit site
I love Quarter horses. I'm slightly biased because I mainly ride a Quarter horse but IMO they're great!

QUOTE]

I breed them, but I'd choose an arabian over them to ride anyday :D

On the other hand, if you want a bombproof horse (without the fluff and feathers of a cob type) that anyone from a child to your old Granny can ride on the trails, and can still go like **** off a shovel at the push of a button (but only if the button is pushed) then you really cannot go wrong with a QH or Paint....and I never thought I'd be saying that about them!

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I suppose, like yourself Annielusian, it depends on what mood I'm in/how lovely the big warmblood is being today etc lol!

I can't say I have any particular favourite breed, There are a few that have characteristics that don't appeal to me as much as others but then you just have to look at TBs to see an incredible range - from the fine spindly types to the chunkier tanks a la Denman - so I wouldn't rule anything out :D

Shantara

Visit site
I'm another big, big fan of the Schwartzwälder Kaltblut (Black Forest Cold Blood)! :D:D
Yes, the Noriker is a different breed to this one. Back in the 1970's, the Black Forest was on the brink of extinction after the mechanisation of agriculture and forestry work in the post-war years. Thanks to the foresight of a handful of breeders (mostly owners of mares), Haflinger and South German Cold Bloods were used to resurrect the breed to the numbers we have today. Breeding is still mostly carried out in and around St Märgen by private individuals, but most of the stallions (currently approx. 50- 60 animals) are owned by Haupt-und Landgestüt Marbach. The breed is not seen much outside SW Germany, which is a bit of a shame, because I think they are beautiful, versatile animals, and much under estimated! :)

Wow :D Thank you for the info! Shame their so rare :( I'd LOVE one! They have the most gorgeous colouring! (Fan of dark body, light mane/tail)

Polo*Pony

Visit site
To look at, PREs, Welsh D and Fjord. Love riding Welsh D and Hanoverians (only ridden a few, admittedly, but loved all of them).

That Black Forest you posted is amazing OP! What a mane! Bum seems an odd shape though, or is that just me? Would prefer more booty :p:D

neddymad

Visit site
Dartmoors and Fells, mine are fantastic. I was told that once I had 1 Fell I would want more, they were not wrong! Just need to win the lottery!:D

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Cleveland Bay's all the way for me, partially as I had a CB x who was my horse of a lifetime they are just so loyal, hardworking underestimated, beautiful to look at and with good bone to turn their hoof to almost anything as well as being very strong and stubborn lol.

I would also say Connies are another fav, along with ID's I like my chunky monkey's.