What's your favourite thing about your dog/their best quality

ArklePig

Visit site
I was just thinking how we're most likely to post about our dogs when we're having trouble with them-I know I am anyway, so thought it would be a nice change to have a nice positive thread.

My dog is obviously an angel sent from above with many wonderful attributes (okay maybe one or two qualities that are not so wonderful 😂).

However, my favourite quality of Fodhla's is how gentle she is and how she seems to be in tune with humans. If you cry/grimace/yelp etc she'll be straight over with her nose pressed against you or a gentle paw placed on your knee. What an actual angel. She's really good with kids and the infirm as well, like she knows they can't take the robust play she likes to do with Mr AP. Our next door neighbour is 90 and a little frail and they're obsessed with each other. Not bad for a dog who used to literally bounce off the walls!

What do you really love about your dog?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I love Daisy’s companionship. She’s such an easy little dog, full of fun and love. She’s only interested in ‘her’ people, be that friends of ours or family- so doesn’t mither people for attention, and she’s brilliant with children - ie completely ignores them. But is also happy to cuddle up to one of the occasion arises.

People see Bichon’s as little lap dogs and she completely bucks that trend. She’s adventurous and fearless (except for the sea!), and used to walk up to 10 miles a day quite happily.

I adore the bones of her. She’s my one and only true loveIMG_7536.jpeg💜

Clodagh

Visit site
I was just thinking how we're most likely to post about our dogs when we're having trouble with them-I know I am anyway, so thought it would be a nice change to have a nice positive thread.

My dog is obviously an angel sent from above with many wonderful attributes (okay maybe one or two qualities that are not so wonderful 😂).

However, my favourite quality of Fodhla's is how gentle she is and how she seems to be in tune with humans. If you cry/grimace/yelp etc she'll be straight over with her nose pressed against you or a gentle paw placed on your knee. What an actual angel. She's really good with kids and the infirm as well, like she knows they can't take the robust play she likes to do with Mr AP. Our next door neighbour is 90 and a little frail and they're obsessed with each other. Not bad for a dog who used to literally bounce off the walls!

What do you really love about your dog?
Good post.
I think that as I work mine I tend to think of them under the basis of the most impressive thing they have ever done for me. Which would bore every one to tears!
So individually, and trying not to count their working ability…
Tawny. Best dog ever. Just my first worker, my first best all round do it all dog. I owe her every day I go out shooting with anybody.
Pen. Lovely dog who loves everyone and everyone loves. So sweet yet a demon on the field.
Ffee. My secret favourite. Soft as butter, a big long cuddly marshmallow.
Red. Such a winner after all she’s been through.
Scout. Just the funniest, dopiest goof ball.

I can’t quite separate how good they are at their jobs from loving them for their personality.

scats

Visit site
I love that JD is a proper dog. She’s stoic and faithful. She looks like a proper cartoon dog and acts like a proper dog. I think coz she’s big we’ve never babied her (unlike the other two!). She’s the most faithful friend you could ever imagine and I know she would risk her life to save me if it came to it.

Bess is a busy body, but she is so kind and loving. There isn’t a bad bone in her. You can take her anywhere, off lead and she won’t leave your side and follows every command. She’s a total delight to take anywhere.

Lily-Rose is sassy and opinionated, but secretly a little bit needy. I love her character and her swagger. She isn’t frightened of anyone or anything.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
He's mine!
Joking aside, I love that despite his various faults he can be a proper people dog (not always mind!). He's converted several friends that are wary of dogs. I stayed at a friend's this summer with him for a couple of nights and she's a cat person, afraid of larger dogs though we're already repeat visitors (first win!). One morning, after a ridiculously late night, I went back to bed after to seeing to Monster. I woke up to find Monster and friend playing nicely in her garden, he was even surrendering his toy back to her. I've rarely been so proud.
I also love how expressive his face can be from "I love you", to "do I really have to share?", to "you're being stupid now".

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I love that, despite her timid nature, Ivy seems to be so affectionate.

I think she will always be timid, but watching her confidence grow as she has learned 'hey people are quite good sometimes!' is so rewarding. Not just when she comes in for a cuddle or a scratch with us at home; it's that she has other favourite people she gets so excited to see when we visit. Even at home now getting on for 2-years since we got her she is getting more confident to share space with us and get more cuddly.

ArklePig

Visit site
These are all such lovely posts.

@Clodagh I think yours makes sense to think of them as workers though and what they do for you. I think of all dogs as having jobs really, my dogs job is pet and the traits I mentioned above are what makes her such a good one.

@Amymay your and daisy's love for each other is one of my favourite relationships on this thread. She seems like such a star.

What's that quote.. Everyone thinks they have the best dog and none of them are wrong.

skinnydipper

Visit site
She is affectionate and playful and she makes me laugh.

She likes to play with toys either together or alone and sorts through her toy box to select the current favourite.

She’s tall and leggy and when she plays she looks like a baby giraffe.

She has quite lively discussions with her squeaky ball which she will push with her nose or squash with her paw forcing it to 'speak' to her. She will initially reply to it with a squeak but as the conversation progresses the squeak becomes a howl.

She is good company.

meleeka

Visit site
I love how obedient my dog is. She had a rough life before me and was probably abused, but it is nice, especially after owning a JRT, to have a dog that actually wants to be good. I can let her out the car at my field and know that she won’t go anywhere. Even when I can’t see her, I know that she’ll be around somewhere and can see me (she has separation anxiety, which isn’t so good, but has it’s plus points). She’s really no trouble, which again, the fact that I owned a JRT, could mean my expectations are quite low 😂

Last edited:

Spotherisk

Visit site
Good post.
I think that as I work mine I tend to think of them under the basis of the most impressive thing they have ever done for me. Which would bore every one to tears!
So individually, and trying not to count their working ability…
Tawny. Best dog ever. Just my first worker, my first best all round do it all dog. I owe her every day I go out shooting with anybody.
Pen. Lovely dog who loves everyone and everyone loves. So sweet yet a demon on the field.
Ffee. My secret favourite. Soft as butter, a big long cuddly marshmallow.
Red. Such a winner after all she’s been through.
Scout. Just the funniest, dopiest goof ball.

I can’t quite separate how good they are at their jobs from loving them for their personality.

I must look harder for Ffee’s soft as butter side! 🤣

Spotherisk

Visit site
Favourite things include not wanting to get out of bed early…before 9am is early for Rew. Always being keen to have a go at what I aim him towards… yesterday was flyball, today was agility and swimming at the beach, and I can tell he’s thinking ‘water, really, oh okay then 🙄’ but he goes with it. I do love his ability to go from bat-sh1t to sleep in minutes. And I love that he loves me very much, and is completely my dog, my OH comes a poor second.

Annette4

Visit site
Mine are all so different.

Fizz - I love how calm and neutral she is (until we get in a flyball ring). She doesn't mither but if your sad she is always first up for a cuddle on your knee and she genuinely loves her therapy work.

Dobby - Despite his issues is the cuddliest, sweetest boy in the world. He also has so much joy and sees life as a game. Yes that can be frustrating when he's as talented as he is as it's impacted his sporting career but the sheer joy he has when he's zooming is so brilliant.

Ginny - it's the change in her. She was wary of us but quickly clung to Fizz and Dobby when she first came home. Now she looks to me for comfort and its the best feeling in the world.

Jack - seeing him come back to life almost has been amazing. He was skinny, his coat dull and he just looked done when he first came home and now he's a brilliant weight, his coat is shiny and his loving life. He has the best time at everything we do (even if he's still adamant he doesn't need his truck most of the time) and knowing he has found love and joy at 15 just makes my heart sing.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Given the difficulties we had with Zak’s fear-aggression, my first instinct is to say their social side. Bear isn’t bothered (amazing given he was Zak’s enforcer) and the youngsters are interested and social but just walk on. It’s a relief to be able to just walk and not panic when we see other dogs.

Can’t lie, I love that Goose is ‘mine’ and that his default position is on my knee. It’s very superficial, but I like a good looking dog and I think all of them are very handsome and I like the size of Goose, he‘s very small compared to the others. He and Mitch are two this week. Their sheer enthusiasm for life is fabulous, they had new toys yesterday and the bouncing was hilarious.

We have to be careful with what we say, they seem to know far more words than other dogs we’ve had. Mitch is particularly sensitive to a wide range of vocabulary!

Birker2020

Visit site
Her concern and her caring nature. If she sees you are upset she comes to you and licks your tears away. If you pretend you are hurt she will go over a lick you and make sure you are okay. And she brings me a present almost every night I walk through the door, she always has a little something in her mouth for you.

She's our world.

Coblover63

Visit site
We have two lab-cross puppies, one is 18 weeks and the other is 17 weeks. I retired from horse-ownership last year and really, REALLY missed my mare, even though I didn't miss the riding and all the associated work so I went through a grieving process. These puppies have brought the sunshine back into my life.... a reason to get up and out every morning. The white one is cheeky, sassy and my shadow. The black one is gentle, placid, affectionate and soaks up training like a sponge.

IMG-20230902-WA0015_copy_600x901.jpg

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Eira - the fact she just doesn't give a damn. She's like that person who comes up to you when you're having a terrible day, sits down next to you and just says 'sod em, they're all idiots anyway'. She's naughty and mardy and sings completely to her own tune, and man do I love her for it.

Phoebe - her loyal, loving nature. Always up for an adventure, and can find fun to be had in most situations. Oh and the silly grin thing she does when she's excited

Dee - couldn't pick one thing, she is my little shadow, always there, through everything, friend of everyone, the kindest, sweetest little dog you could ever come across. And even as old age gradually creeps up on her she stays as merry and happy as ever

malwhit

Visit site
Lottie my Labradoodle was perfect apart from pulling me over when she was young & destroying a Yucca Plant that originally came from my childhood home. The thing that stands of with her is finding and rescuing a ferret on a walk.

She went up to it and they sniffed noses. I was expecting a fight but nothing bad happened. If my Mini Schnauzers had seen it before I leashed them, there'd have been a blood bath

I later caught it in a cat carrier and found it's owner

All of my dogs have liked kids, which they have not learnt from me😁

SDMabel

Visit site
Molly ( the labrador ) would follow me off of a cliff, into fire etc etc .
She's my right hand woman , she knows when a person is hurting - mentally or physically and will just lay with her head on you with those big soulful knowing eyes.
She knows all of my secrets and kept me going through some really rather tough times.
She's selective over who she likes that applies for both people and dogs - rather like myself.

Pip (the terrier) it's got to be her enthusiasm for life , she gives everything a try once and never says no (even when you specifically tell her no :rolleyes: )
She's a proper little terrier but melts for kids, she is incredibly gentle with them .

Attachments

• 278626467_4851618321633955_922709675830503599_n.jpg
    278626467_4851618321633955_922709675830503599_n.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 352745672_278457044757612_6518793103566850682_n.jpg
    352745672_278457044757612_6518793103566850682_n.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 6