What's your nervous riding song?

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
"Let's go fly a kite" from Mary Poppins. Puts a smile on my face. Sometimes songs from the 70s christmas film favourites of Sound of Music and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, or the Carpenters' "Top of the World".
My repertoire may expand as I've been listening to a lot of music while running, but sadly my (lack of) talent won't ?

Ratface

Visit site
Anothe
It was The Grand Old Duke of York when riding my loan mare. I don’t feel the need to sing when driving my Shetland mare - I’m usually talking to her, mainly “Steady, steady” and “Oh, alright then” when I actually want her to trot.
I'm the one loudly singing The Grand Old Duke of York, or, in extremis, Onward, Christian Soldiers. The latter when the wretch is playing silly sideways jogging games!

Somewhat Off The Way

Visit site
No, but it can calm you down enough to damp the situation down enough to get enough headspace to get both of you into a place where you can start to do that.

I was told that singing relaxes the diaphragm which relaxes your core and this can translate to the horse. So even if you feel nervous you can fake calm.
Might be a nonsense, but it works for me!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Songs from my childhood like Lavender's Blue and The Ash Grove. I’m sure my pony recognises these now and takes them as a sign to go steady ?

With my Welsh cob it was Brown Girl in the Ring as it suited her footfall.

BSL2

Visit site
As I up the pace riding my grey Arab, I start with "on white horses...", it then merges into a remix including " ten green bottles" . Just hope I'm not heard by locals.?

Wishfilly

Visit site
I've recently started singing Do-Re-Mi whilst doing trot work- helps me keep the rhythm and not tense up etc. I think it does help because it keeps me somewhat relaxed which helps him relax and helps us keep a nice rhythm- plus any tensing up used to be interpreted as a signal to canter which wasn't helpful.

I also ride a bit better when I'm not overly focused on exactly what his head is doing :oops:

Spiritedly

Visit site
My Old Man said follow the van or I Will Survive.
If he's done well....passed a scary manhole etc...He gets serenaded with the chorus of Star by Kiki Dee.

atropa

Visit site
It was The Grand Old Duke of York when riding my loan mare. I don’t feel the need to sing when driving my Shetland mare - I’m usually talking to her, mainly “Steady, steady” and “Oh, alright then” when I actually want her to trot.
Anothe
I'm the one loudly singing The Grand Old Duke of York, or, in extremis, Onward, Christian Soldiers. The latter when the wretch is playing silly sideways jogging games!

A third vote for the Grand Old Duke of York! No idea why, except that the chorus tends to sync quite well with my hyperventilating breathing!

ThreeFurs

Visit site
Ella Mae Morse/Ella Fitzgerald "Cow cow Boogie" 1942 -- has a great rhythm for walk, and its about someone else singing to their horse!

"Out on the plains, down near Santa Fe
I met a cowboy riding the range one day
And as he jogged along, I heard him singing
A most peculiar cowboy song
It was a ditty he learned in the city
Ah, comma ti, ii, yi, aay, comma ti, yipply, yi, aay"

SBJT

Visit site
Goodnight sweetheart… the one that the guys sing from three men and a baby. It has a nice cadence to it. Or the teddy bears picnic. I got told years ago that it matches the horses hoof beats and I’ve never managed to get it out of my head since… you’re welcome ?