What's your saddle?

Jazzy B

Visit site
I'm in the process of getting my lad a new saddle, only problem is last time I bought a saddle was 13 years ago for my mare so a bit out of touch! So just out of interest what kind of saddle have you got, what kind of riding do you do and was in new or second hand and where did you get it from? Do people actually buy online because for me that's just plan scary! :eek:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thorowgood GP because it's very adaptable for a horse that often changes shape. I told the saddler what I wanted and had it properly fitted. I ride for pleasure, no competing.

I wouldn't dream of buying a saddle online: I would always get it fitted.

ApolloBaby

Visit site
I had a Thorowgood when I first got my fella and really liked it. When he muscled up and his shape stabilised i got an older second hand Berney and had it reflocked for him (took a wither profile). Its a Dublin Jumper that had been made with long straps rather than short, which I prefer to reduce bulk under my leg. Love it. Sold the Thorowgood to my YO for one of hers, and everyone who rides in it finds it very comfy - even her niece who uses Devecoux and Wow on her own.

Javabb94

Visit site
I have an Ideal Impala Pro Monoflap - Its a jump/event saddle but use it for everything even dressage! It's the only thing that fits both me and java :D

I would never buy online unless from somewhere like saddles direct but I would get saddle fitter out to try them and make sure they fit before even putting it on the horse myself!

ApolloBaby

Visit site
I have an Ideal Impala Pro Monoflap - Its a jump/event saddle but use it for everything even dressage! It's the only thing that fits both me and java :D

I would never buy online unless from somewhere like saddles direct but I would get saddle fitter out to try them and make sure they fit before even putting it on the horse myself!

Ooh, that sounds lovely. I'd love to try a monoflap - seems like they'd be great for feeling the horse clearly, if that makes sense...

jaquelin

Visit site
I have 2 Albions, which I love - one dressage, the other the K2 jumping. They were bought for my MW horse, but am now using them on my ISH. I thought about replacing them for new horse, but they were so expensive ( £1000+ ea) that I just put thick numnahs on.I will keep an eye on situation, but if they work, I won't change them, which I know is considered a heresy!

Copperpot

Visit site
I have a Black Country Ricochet and use it for everything.

Also have a Dapple Mulberry for schooling but prefer doing that in my jump saddle too :)

Lintel

Visit site
I had a Thorowgood Griffin- new.
Lovely and comfy, suede like seat, was great for your bum to stick to with those youngster bucks ;)

Moved onto Wintec Wide- Had only been tired on.
Was really cardboardy, but comfy enough. Didn't seem to mould of flex to my boy at all well though.

I now have a Cliff Barnsby Working Hunter- bought used 2 months ago.
It's lovely and supple, fabulously comfy and is nice and broken in already. It's a lovely colour and fits my highland like a glove, great for his big bulky shoulders too!

All the best on the saddle quest!

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I have an oldish pessoa amo saddle for my 4yo which was given to me for free:D although it cost a fortune to get matching stirrup leathers and a bridle!

I ride my 6yo in a shared prestige michel robert saddle and my 18.1 8yo in a shared battered prestige, which is the comfiest saddle I've ever sat it! My pony has a custom made saddle but I ride him in the pessoa instead as custom made is uncomfy and doesn't fit very well anymore due to complete shape change!

At the moment mine are all just schooled with a bit of jumping thrown in, but I have long legs and ride fairly short so prefer a jumping saddle.

Syrah

Visit site
An Albion K2 GP but no horse to put it on anymore :eek:

I'm hanging onto it as saddles aren't selling at the moment and it's less than a year old in immaculate condition and you never know! My horse doesn't go to her new home for another few days and I'm already thinking of contacting Janet George and paying a visit :D

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I have an LM saddle, an Ideal and one very old one from a Walsall saddlery (make unknown). All leather. I cannot stand hard plastic saddles.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Kal came with an Albion jumping saddle but it's really too small for me and doesn't really fit him all that well either so I bought a Kent & Master's GP from a reputable saddler which works because it's adjustable and he does tend to change shape throughout the year. The K&M is very comfy and (for a relatively cheap leather saddle - I think it was around £700-odd including fitting) has worn very well - we've had it 2 years now.

It is quite difficult to find a saddle that fits Kal - he has quite upright (and large) shoulders and is short in the back . . . plus my arse is quite generous. We tried an Albion, but it rocked quite badly . . . and I was adamant I wanted a leather saddle rather than synthetic.

I ride Kal on the flat . . . schooling, hacking . . . and my daughter jumps him. If I had the £££, I'd be buying a made-to-measure dressage saddle for me to use ;).

P

Last edited:

muffinmunsh

Visit site
A Thorowgoid high whither for the veteran. The mare has an Albion K2 jump, same in GP and a Thorowgood dressage. Love them all, all prof fitted.
I also have a selection of saddles that don't fit anymore, including an 18 inch Fairfax gp, fully adjustable for sale ;-)

I See Clover

Visit site
I have an Ideal (forget which type exactly). It's an all purpose. Riding wise I do a little bit of everything. I bought it brand new from a Master Saddler who also fitted it. It's so comfy!

tinap

Visit site
Bates Caprilli GP that daughter says is the comfiest saddle she has sat on!!

The only saddle we own so used everyday for general schooling & hacking & competing in SJ, XC, dressage, pc.

Bought from local saddler - one she had used to try on other horses for sizes so looked brand new but not at new price :D

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Ive got a Thorowgood cob saddle for the wet weather. Used it for 4 years on my Haffie. But had her measured/fitted for a leather saddle and the Ideal H&C fitted great, and have just bought one second hand (great as cant afford a new one and they are like hens teeth second hand). Designed for flat backs with no withers.

My big old 17hh chap has a Parker Knoll armchair of a saddle, an 18" Towe hunter spring tree loveliness. It is very like the Black Country saddles and is the most comfortable thing in the world, both for horse and rider. Fabby. That was bought secondhand from the saddle fitter.

I also had a beautiful Treefree Dartmoor very good treeless for a while which both horses went fantastically in but I decided I didnt like the visual shape of the treeless style, it was a gorgeous thing tho.

The only new saddle Ive bought apart from the Thorowgood was a GFS VSD saddle. I hated it! It fitted the big chap but the flaps were too short for his size and I didnt think the leather was amazing quality - I hardly used it and sold it at a big loss just cos it annoyed me!

Clava

Visit site
I have for my tb a new model Wintec GP and she loves it (previously I had a nice Ideal saddle but it was a bit too wide) she also has a lovely Lovatt and Rickets dressage saddle, but I think she goes better in the Wintec.

Marydoll

Visit site
Ive got a mtm Andy Sankey event saddle and a mtm dressage saddle again by Andy, he's coming out on Friday to adjust the flocking as ive only had the dressage for a few weeks and i really like them

majors

Visit site
I have just bought second hand Ideal Grandee saddle, great for my flat backed connie x and square cantle gives me lots of room in the seat which i like. Very impressed with the quality of the leather £450 :)