What's your top speed?

pennyturner

Visit site
The traveller fellas regularly do 30+ in TROT.
I followed one once and the sparks didn't half fly off those shoes. Best of it was that the horse looked like a complete fleabag waiting around until he took up the reins... then it's head shot up in the air and on his word it took off like a GTi.

Shantara

Visit site
EKW - Wow, that's quick!!

PennyTurner - I suspect Ned's father could have done that, he won quite a few races if I remember correctly :) My aim is to get to 30 with Ned, he's not 100% fit yet, so I think he could go faster! He's improved on his last speed, which was 25.1!

Annagain

Visit site
I think I'd be lucky to get into double figures with either of mine. They're built for comfort bless 'em!

Lexi_

Visit site
The traveller fellas regularly do 30+ in TROT.
I followed one once and the sparks didn't half fly off those shoes. Best of it was that the horse looked like a complete fleabag waiting around until he took up the reins... then it's head shot up in the air and on his word it took off like a GTi.

Blimey!! We set off one of those speed check signs out hacking the other week and thought we were doing pretty well to hit 9mph in a fairly steady trot.

Kikke

Visit site
I have no clue because my welsh cob x clydesdale is sooooo quick anyway I don't dare let her gallop (yet) Inthink it would blow my mind!

huskydamage

Visit site
I did a 7 mile ride on my girl in 20mins and a 15mile one in 1hr 20mins...but I'm too crap at maths to work out my average speed from those. How would you work it out?
Boyf has followed me in a car trotting down the road and said my girl trots about 20mph. No idea what top speed is though

huskydamage

Visit site
I got an app called Sports Tracker :) it measures your distance, av.speed, top speed etc - I love it!!

that is cool I would love something like that :) I don't think my blackberry phone is high tech enough though lol I'm guessing its a smart phone thing?

Jo1987

Visit site
Ah I wish I'd thought of seeing how fast my old boy was before he retired - he's the only one I've lost hearing and sight on because of the wind!

Lemonpolo

Visit site
According to my endomondo app 24.8. And I have never completely let him have his head as I do to trust him not to have a hissy fit!

NZJenny

Visit site
When things used to get really fast, there is no time to look at the GPS, too busy holding on and hoping like hell he dosn't shy!

BBP

Visit site
When I was horse boarding the fastest speed clocked on the board (towed behind the horse) was 35mph. Horse was a mostly TB trick riding horse. Current pony is not that fast!

Burmilla

Visit site
I did a 7 mile ride on my girl in 20mins and a 15mile one in 1hr 20mins...but I'm too crap at maths to work out my average speed from those. How would you work it out?
Boyf has followed me in a car trotting down the road and said my girl trots about 20mph. No idea what top speed is though
"It a'int the 'unting on the 'ill that 'urts the 'orses' 'ooves, but 'ammer, 'ammer 'ammer on the 'ard 'igh road".
Sorry, re grumpy old woman response, but having been brought up with Jorrocks-isms the like of the above, I always cringe when I see/read/hear of fast road work. However, as said, I'm a GOW who wears a hairnet, ratcatcher and string gloves to hack the Exie round the village!

Theocat

Visit site

That means you did your twenty minute ride at 21mph, and your 1hr 20 ride at very roughly 12mph. The first one seems awfully fast if you're warming up and cooling down properly - are you sure you mean miles per hour? Those numbers would make much more sense if they were kilometres per hour ...

huskydamage

Visit site
That means you did your twenty minute ride at 21mph, and your 1hr 20 ride at very roughly 12mph. The first one seems awfully fast if you're warming up and cooling down properly - are you sure you mean miles per hour? Those numbers would make much more sense if they were kilometres per hour ...

yes def mph. Those were off road rides though so I was probably doing more canter/gallop, I found a couple of fun ride rosettes the other day and I'd wrote the times completed on the back. Pony is a bit slower these days but I do get a lot of comments on how quickly I've returned, so I guess she must be pretty quick. Also usually so hyper at those she literally will not walk for the whole ride.

My hacks are home are nearly all road work, so if I want to get anywhere I do have to trot a bit! Would be forever walking around otherwise as hardly any bridleways :(

Can't vouch 100% for the 20mph trot as boyf could have been embellishing I didn't see car speedo - but she is a quick little pony. I think she should have been one of those American trotting horses lol

flaxen

Visit site
A friend once clocked my arab pony doing 30mph on the kipling coats gallops in yorkshire on the way home from a riding club show. She was as fit as a fiddle and I rode her out with a point to pointer as they were best buddies and he needed a nanny so she was super fit. I used the gallop her up the hill opposite Beverley race course too and race the cars.

sasquatch

Visit site
am not sure exactly, but I know round a jumping course B can keep up with the pony times without cutting as many corners!

if I can take him for a rake soon I'll look for the speed app, I don't think anyone ever told him he's a 15hh fat cobby thing, not a 16hh thoroughbred racehorse.

a lot of people do say he looks fast, but his legs also move like roadrunner which might be why.

sarahandwilby

Visit site
Fastest I've been clocked was 37mph (galloping a scoping with the vet alongside in the car) - sure the older racers have been faster though, just never measured them!