Wheal Buller or Gilfach anyone?

Archangel

Visit site
A friend and I are thinking of going for an intensive instructional holiday. Both are experienced riders with own horses so want some good instruction (our horses are staying at home also having a holiday). The two places we have seen are Wheal Buller and Gilfach so I wondered if anyone had been there or could recommend a good place to go. Thanks in advance.

Bossanova

Visit site
If you want proper instruction then I'd choose Talland or the Yorkshire Riding Centre, not what is essentially a trekking centre.

somethingorother

Visit site
went to wheal buller when i was a kid. I was about 10 and a very nervous rider. They had good facilities but i wasn't used to riding outside of an arena (only rode at riding schools at that point) The staff shouted at me, swore at me and made me get off and run with my horse. I would never go there again. Anywhere that thinks its ok to treat a child like that cannot call itself a professional yard. It makes me fume every time i see their ad in H&R saying 'nervous or novice' are well looked after.

Abbeygale

Visit site
I haven't spent a lot of time at wheal buller - but would just like to point out to somethingorother that wheal buller has recently had new owners - I am of course assuming that you are more than 11 or 12 now.

But would also agree with Bossonova - if you are looking for proper tuition rather than trekking around our lovely countryside would look at the likes of talland etc.

ETA - i don't work for wheal buller and by our lovely countryside I just mean cornwall - not wheal buller's in particular. Just realised after I posted that it must look like I work for them!
smile.gif

Archangel

Visit site
Thank you for your replies everyone, Talland did come up on the radar as it is reasonably near to me, but we had our heads turned by the Cornish and Welsh scenery. It looks like Talland has the vote!

revilo

Visit site
Hi Rebel1990

A friend and I went to Gilfach last October for the weekend and we had a mix & match weekend.

We both thoroughly enjoyed it. They will tailor the whole weekend to your requirements. Sheila (I think that is her name) has some fantastic horses/ponies, they are all very responsive to the point that you only need to think about doing something and the horse is responding to you. Sheila really knows her stuff , she breeds her own horses and had two stallions when we went which are gorgeous.

I would definately recommend anyone to go there. We went for a hack out onto the breacon beacons for a couple of hours again fantastic scenery and fantastic riding.
smile.gif

The staff are all really nice and friendly. They were buiding a log cabin when we were there which I believe is finished now, for the staff. If you are staying in the cottage on site, it is very comfortable and well worth paying for a breakfast hamper. We felt so at home that we even helped out around the yard when we weren't doing anything. There is a pub just up the road which does some really nice food too if you fancy a night out.

Let me know if you go and how you got on.
smile.gif

Partoow

Visit site
Would not go to Wheel Buller, had a lot of experience of the place and the people and i cannot find a good word to say i am sorry to say.
The daughter , karen does not have a good reputation and was disaplined in endurance riding for over use of the whip..... enough said.
Great pity as the cornish country side is beautiful but the welsh is pretty cool too and that sounds like a nice place.
Talland would be the best if you want to develope your skills rather than wondering around the country side!!