Wheelbarrow heaven

exracehorse

Visit site
I turned into a shouting fish wife this morning as my only working wheelbarrow has a flat tyre. And because I can’t be bothered to try and remove the rusty wheel off, it will join the other 4 that are propped up against the hay barn. Out of curiosity, I wondered how many abandoned barrows lay scattered around your yard? Does anyone bother to repair/replace or just chuck them in a pile and head off to Homebase?

Mrs B

Visit site
Am on my 3rd tyre or wheel with current barrow, which is now about 8 years old ... I'm afraid everything I own gets repaired multiple times before it absolutely has to be replaced: that includes my clothes, phone, shoes, car, bridle, rugs, fridge, telly, computer, kettle ... you name it!

Shooting Star

Visit site
I'm the same: everything here gets repaired, and since we have a full workshop, and skillz to go with it, that means welding, riveting, panel beating, etc. My wheelbarrow is at least 18 years old.

Reminds me of the legendary Triggers broom sketch in Only Fools & Horses but the horsey version would be “it’s only had 3 new frames, 6 wheels and 2 pans”😁

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Not yard, but I have an old garden wheelbarrow which I sort of used as a flowerbed for some years (weed took over). But last year, when the temperature was so high, I emptied it, put in some sturdy tarpauline, a bunch of various stones, and filled it with water, in the hope it would work as a bird bath. Didn't see any bird use it though, until late this Autumn.

Cragrat

Visit site
I have a solid wheel on one barrow, which is fine until it has a heavy load and hits a ridge/hole/stone- which makes it crunch to a halt and jars right up my arms.

My latest repair was a can of mountain bike tyre instant repair from Lidl- very easy and very quick!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I turned into a shouting fish wife this morning as my only working wheelbarrow has a flat tyre. And because I can’t be bothered to try and remove the rusty wheel off, it will join the other 4 that are propped up against the hay barn. Out of curiosity, I wondered how many abandoned barrows lay scattered around your yard? Does anyone bother to repair/replace or just chuck them in a pile and head off to Homebase?

tyre weld/take it to a tyre place or buy a new wheel for £13 at the local ag store. if nuts won't undo try some WD40.

Carrottom

Visit site
After numerous punctures I too have switched to a solid wheel. The barrow I took it off rusted so badly I was going to take it to the tip but the farrier took it for parts to repair his barrow.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
None because I take mine up to the tyre place and they repair or order me a new wheel or tyre. I buy a solid wheel or normal from Amazon or Ebay and take it up to tyre place for them to remove it and place new wheel on.https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/257-7411295-8326144?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wheel+barrow+wheel

chaps89

Visit site
I replace the tyres on mine with puncture proof tyres. (I have one for a Heammerlin barrow that outlasted the barrow looking for a new home if anyone's interested)
My last barrow lasted 12 years but then the frame succumbed to rust, duly replaced with a new Haemmerlin one, here's to hoping it also lasts 12 years!

Mule

Visit site
I've never heard of solid wheels for wheelbarrows. It sounds like a good idea. I must look in to it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
As above I buy from eBay.
Flat tyres are such a pita! I absolutely have to poo pick my field horses every morning else it screws my carefully constructed day up (😳) yesterday I had a flat and today it’s still going to be bloody flat. I need to try and borrow a foot pump in the hope that it’s not a puncture 🤞
Otherwise I have to try and fit the damn smelly thing into my little car to bring home for repair 😩

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
OH wanted a wheelbarrow for the garden a few years ago, but it doesn't get much use. It's been propped up against the wall, so that the pan doesn't fill with water, for ages. I haven't had to do any repairs, so far.

I have a sack truck that I use much more; it's narrower than the wheelbarrow, so I can carry things from the front of the house, through garage to the back. This has pneumatic tyres, and I've replaced or patched the inner tubes quite a few times. Inner tubes are easy to find; just use the size marked on the sidewall of the tyre. About £4 seems to be the going price.

TGM

Visit site
I always go for solid or puncture proof tyres now too. Sadly one of my barrows in now in sick bay as the frame has rusted through at the bottom - our fault for leaving it on wet ground. Really I should get it mended as husband is a farrier so has all the welding stuff, but I just went and bought a new one.