Wheelbarrow. Mud. You know. That.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Barrows of poop, slight upwards slope, increasing amounts of mud. It's making me sad.

Are two wheeled barrows better?
Four wheel garden cart?
One of those roller ball ones?
Poo panniers on the pony?
Woman the F up and get on with it?
Give up completely and keep the horses on the hardstanding forever?
I don't think giving up on poo picking entirely is an option for me.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I also recently discovered these issues! Share horse has a long rectangular bit of grazing and of course he favours pooping right at the furthest end from the gate. There's a strip of really clay mud right across the width of the field so now can't get the barrow up the top end. I've taken to wheeling it up as far as it will go without getting stuck and using a squashy bucket/trug thing to ferry the poo pickings to the barrow. Thankfully it's usually not too much as it's done every day so I don't have to do many trips back and forth.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My muddy bit is right by the gate and there's usually two full barrows out there. I think walking back and forth with the poo picker skip might finish me off faster than wheeling through the mud! Buuuuuuuut if I had a couple of trugs perhaps I could fill and carry. Maybe I need one of those poles with a bucket at each end... a yoke?

Personally I think pony poo panniers is top pick at the moment.

But in all seriousness would a two or four wheel barrow be better? It seems to me like it would but wondered if anyone has any experiences.

neddy man

Visit site
A 1 horsepower muck remover, fit a breastplate to your horse 2 ropes to a big fibreglass tray fill it up and lead or long line your horse to the muck heap. ( If pushing 1 wheel through mud would pushing 2 or 4 be any easier? )

rextherobber

Visit site
I found the two wheeled barrow worse, but it was also bigger, so I stupidly put more in so was therefore heavier. If you have compliant horses, you could fill 1 ton builders bags left strategically in the field, then tow them out in the spring when the ground is harder? (I cannot do this, mine are idiots, one would be terrified of them, the other would climb inside the bag and do herself an expensive injury!) Or a pathway of grass mats to run the barrow on? I feel your pain, had exactly the same issue, but moved to a different area, different soil, and didn't have any problem in the very wet winter last year ( an extreme solution, but effective!)

planete

Visit site
I do the poo picking twice a day and now make three trips instead of my usual two so I do not have to push a heavy wheelbarrow. It has stopped the muscle burn in my back. After a night of heavy rain which had made the poo twice as heavy as usual i had to go home and lie on the floor to ease my back one morning before the new strategy.

I am also reaping the benefit of the hard standing I made with some mud control mats covered in rubber matting in the field by the gate. The hay box is in the middle of that and the poo can just be scraped off. As the horses spend a lot of time on it eating, they also poo on it a lot. Win win.

Bradsmum

Visit site
I too feel your pain and have to admit I've given up poo picking. We moved here Sept 2019 and I chose the property partly because all the fields were on a slight slope, the ground was good and there are good ditches which drain water away. However the stoney ground does not like horses hooves and the mud has appeared. The hard standing area is not big enough to house the horses 24/7 so something had to give. Oh how I wish I could have moved my sand school with me. It was my winter turnout and I miss it so much. Re the barrows, I don't think 2 or 4 wheels make it any easier to be honest. I did think of a sledge type contraption (curved corrugated iron sheet) which might glide over if I didn't load it too high. Still playing with that idea.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Fortunately most of the field is reasonably dry. Just a short section near the gate causing me bother because it's a bog then a short hill. Next year they'll hopefully be in the new winter field by this point which is flatter, less boggy and can probably have the poo left then harrowed in spring anyway. I think it might be trugs and carrying as a solution. As fun as making MrT be a pack pony would be.

Auslander

Visit site
I dont' poo pick in winter. The horses are on a good wormcount/worm programme, and I harrow the fields as soon as they are dry enough, then we poo pick religiously through the dry months.
Horses have hay twice a day, and a small measure of barley in their winter feeds, which encourages the birds to spread the droppings, so the fields dont look like they're full of poo.

Suby2

Visit site
Our field gets really muddy in winter. Before we finally throw in the towel each year and stop poo picking we use a plastic sledge with a trug on it. It has to be a solid trug though not a bendy one otherwise it’s really difficult to empty.

tda

Visit site
I got a two wheeled barrow thinking it would be easier in general, it it's not, well not on our hard-core yard, probably fab on concrete which we don't have??

I've got quad and trailer but don't even try and take that in field anymore when it's muddy. Leave it til spring ?

honetpot

Visit site
I do not poo pick from when it gets really wet, about now till about the end of March. When the paddock is harrowed, quartered in to sections to be cleared, and fertilised. The seven acre field has a thrash paddock over winter, and is never poo picked, just harrowed and fertilised. I have never had a high worm count, ever. We are on clay, and some plonker dumped more clay sub soil on top, so I need every bit of organic matter to improve the soil. The cow pats are just left.

BBP

Visit site
Don’t laugh, but for really deep slider mud, a snow sled (the plastic ones) can work better than a barrow, just pull over the top. We used to poo pick into plastic sacks and then use a sled to tow them to the gate for the allotment holders to collect. It was way easier than the barrow when the clay was really slick.

neddy man

Visit site
Don’t laugh, but for really deep slider mud, a snow sled (the plastic ones) can work better than a barrow, just pull over the top. We used to poo pick into plastic sacks and then use a sled to tow them to the gate for the allotment holders to collect. It was way easier than the barrow when the clay was really slick.
Very clever and cheap option.