wheelbarrow

xemonsus

Visit site
Stick with the metal ones!! We have a double wheeled barrow, brought it thinking it would make things less heavy for my mum, its a nightmare!! If its full of muck (it does hold plenty when poo picking) its difficult to push and try to pull it and you catch the back of your feet on it.... a pain in the ass hate the thing!! :)

Oliver12

Visit site
I have two wheelbarrows. A single wheel one which I use when muck picking the field and a double wheeled one for mucking out stables. So pleased I bought it as it makes mucking out so much easier when cutting out endless trips to the muck heap. Couldn't use it in the field though as previous poster said it would get too heavy full of poo.

Oliver12

Visit site
Yes I do use a muck sack but mainly for filling with clean straw to add to bed. You would have to be pretty strong to lift a muck sack full of wet bedding and poo but if there are two of you they are quite useful.

stacey111

Visit site
I also was going to ask the same question as my metal on is quite shallow and i must do 7 trips to the muck heap!! i was thinking of buying the deep plastic barrow but glad i read this first as i would also use to muck the feild!

We have a quad for my 6 year old and was wondering if anyone has made or bought a barrow like thing to attach to the back of it to make it easier to muck the filed!!

Stacey x

DollyDolls

Visit site
I have a really deep metal one from Travis perkins. It's huge & holds an enormous amount of hay/poo/rugs.

It was expensive, but I've had it 4yrs now & doesn't even show signs of wear (except the tyre, which is a bit bald).

The plastic ones seem a little smaller, but are so much lighter to push round the yard & you float up the muck heap rather than sink.

I HATE shallow ones, plastic or metal.

trendybraincell

Visit site
I just had to replace my builders merchant metal one. It literally feel apart, mind you its been used to mix concrete and was in a barn fire...still it survived 5 years :)

I went with a B&Q plastic one this time

Vetwrap

Visit site
Depending on how many you are mucking out and what bedding you are using, I would really recommend a tipping barrow. We have three straw beds to muck out and we would really struggle without our barrow. It is fantastic and though expensive, is worth it's weight in gold.

for bedding down, we also fill the barrow with clean straw and then sit a 1 ton builders sand sack on the top and wheel the whole lot back to the stables. That way, we can bed down two stables in one run - so saving time as well.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/jfc-jumbo-tipping-wheelbarrow

D66

Visit site
I bought a fort barrow from the garden centre 20yrs ago - mainly because you can buy the wheel, frame and pan separately if a bit breaks. Never needed to, it's still going strong. We also have a large barrow and I can't shift it at all when it's full of muck.
If you get a metal barrow store it tipped up and the pan won't rust!