When a horse dies...

Passionflower

Visit site
This isnt a nice question but ive been trying to google it and i cant seem to find any answers so im sorry if this upsets anybody! :eek:

when your horse dies do you have a choice whether it can go for meat? i mean i know when horses are treated with equine drugs it can't be used for meat but i mean in general? Do they HAVE to go for meat?

PonyFeet10

Visit site
No of course not! You have a few choices, burial, cremation with other animals (all cremated in one), individual cremation (where you can have your horses ashes back, abottoir or hunt kennels :) not sure if I've missed any?

Polos Mum

Visit site
It is the opposite, they can't go for meat unless sent to a licenced slaughter house (alive) if PTS at home/ at vets etc. they can't enter the food chain.
Most are cremated either individually (which is pretty expensive) or in a group which is what your local knacker man will do.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
When my mare passed, for collection of the body, individual cremation and ashes returned in a lovely wooden casket with a name plate on, was £500

I assume it will vary depending on the area, i could have got it a little cheaper but i trusted the company and that was worth more than the bit of money id have saved

I chose this option as i promised my mare she would never leave my side, and so she never has

Shay

Visit site
Individual cremation costs vary - but several hundreds at least. It can also depend on whether the horse is cremated with others and the ashes split up or cremated alone which is considerably more expensive. Also what sort of casket you choose etc. You also have to bear in mind that this is not a human sized animal. They are very big. Ashes come back to you in a box about the size of a school trunk. That is quite a large item to store.

Some hunts will run a fallen stock service to remove the body - but if it has been PTS with drugs, rather than being shot, then it is not likely to be suitable for hounds. Otherwise your local fallen stock service will collect the body for disposal.