when an ad says POA....

JenHunt

Visit site
do you think you'll never be able to afford it, or that they are trying to discourage time wasters, or something else?

just wondering really - there's a couple of young horses advertised locally that look like they might be worth looking at (looking for young RID's preferably mares with view to bringing on and possibly breeding in the future) but I'm not going to waste anybody's time if there's no chance of being able to afford the horse!

Inchy

Visit site
If you rang up and it turned out it was way out of you're price range... it wouldnt be you wasting their time as they could have put the price on the advert to save you wasting your time ringing them :)

Last edited:

charlimouse

Visit site
It puts me off as I assume the horse will be very expensive! However if the horse in the advert seemed to be exactly what I was looking for I would ring and ask straight out what sort of price they are looking for. Having said that I dod once ring up about an event horse that sounded exactly what I was looking for. I had a decent budget, so rang up for the price. They wanted £65,000 for it!!!! It was a 12yo with 40BE points that didn't have the scope go Advanced! I quickly backtracked on that one!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
do you think you'll never be able to afford it, or that they are trying to discourage time wasters, or something else?

just wondering really - there's a couple of young horses advertised locally that look like they might be worth looking at (looking for young RID's preferably mares with view to bringing on and possibly breeding in the future) but I'm not going to waste anybody's time if there's no chance of being able to afford the horse!

POA has become 'fashionable' in the past 2 years with Irish Draught breeders (it started in Ireland when prices started to drop - and they didn't want other breeders knowing how desperate they were :rolleyes:)

The price of RID fillies is VERy variable at present. The TOP quality fillies - who would win in decent company showing in hand, who would have scored at LEAST 118 marks if graded at 2, and 120 or more if graded at 3 - SHOULD be priced - on today's market, at somewhere between £3,500 and £5,000 for 2 year olds, and £4,000-5,500 as 3 year olds (perhaps a little more if they are backed and riding quietly.) There ARE some nice fillies for sale on the IDHS at rather less than that - they are well below the price of production. Whether that's because they have faults - or whether it's because vendors are badly over-stocked and getting desperate. I can't tell you!

It's always worth a call. If they're above the top end of the prices I have quoted, you can always say: "You MUST be joking!" and hang up! :D

showqa

Visit site
Has always put me off. I do wonder whether the seller is thinking "If you're in the market for this kind of horse, then you'll find the money somehow and hence we don't need to commit to a price in print". One way or another, it wouldn't encourage me to call.

JenHunt

Visit site
thanks JG - I might give them a call then - I'm hoping it's just that theyre badly overstocked given the number that seem to be on the boards! I'm still looking for the right horse to be ready to come on when Ron retires!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
thanks JG - I might give them a call then - I'm hoping it's just that theyre badly overstocked given the number that seem to be on the boards! I'm still looking for the right horse to be ready to come on when Ron retires!

Well you don't have to stick to Yorkshire, you know. I've recently sold a 5 yo gelding to Yorkshire - to hunt with the Holderness. Buyer said he couldn't find anything as good locally!:D

xTrooperx

Visit site
doesn't matter how amazing the horse looks and sounds i have never phoned a advert with poa. I think top yards wanting OTT prices.

Luci07

Visit site
ditto. I research my market quite thoroughly to make sure I understand pricing but again - assume its a mega bucks pony if it states POA on the advert!

perfect11s

Visit site

You wont be wasting there time they may very well be wasting yours !!!!!, trying it on , getting a valuation or just being avasive
POA ads are mostly posted by rogues or weird people best to avoid IMHO .....

MiCsarah

Visit site
I always think that if you have to ask the price you can't afford it so have always skipped those ads. Never thought it could be that it was cheap though

idx

Visit site
It does make you wonder who DOES enquire about POA horses? It would seem to be not a very good selling technique. I find it as irritating as jobs that are advertised without a salary!

tori252

Visit site
Was goimg to say... If you want a decent well brought on youngster go to janet george at indigo. Fab horses and so well introduced to life... When I win the lottery am planning on a stable block full of hers.

PorkChop

Visit site
What is the worst that can happen in a phone call?

Better to call and know how much, it she is over budget then a polite "thank you for your time however she is more than I am looking to spend".

I am sure 99% of sellers would not mind in the slightest.

It would not put me off at all.

ABC

Visit site
My lad was POA. She didn't know what to ask, and just wanted a good home. Granted, he's not done much but he sure as hell has the potential.

I'd just ring, its worth a shot. Sometimes owners just don't know how much to ask and think if they put POA then only serious people will enquire :)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It's so common over here it wouldn't put me off ringing at all. Worst still, we get a lot of POI adverts (price on inspection!!) :rolleyes: I mean really, I am not going to drive 70 miles or even 7 come to that to see a horse whose price I don't know :eek::confused: I have rung some of these and told them that and usually they come up with a price. Often though they are waiting for you to come up with the price first :rolleyes: I've lost count of the number of sellers who have said "Ah sure, we'll come to some agreement" - er, no, I don't think we will :D

Mithras

Visit site
I emailed about two POAs recently. One was 150k! But it was exceptional. The other was 20k. My budget is good, but not that good, but now I have a good idea of the top level of the market just now and at other points inbetween.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I generally think they will be way too expensive.

But depending on the horse in this curent climate it could be that the price is low and it is to discourage wannabes and timewasters and total idionts that dont have a clue.

JenHunt

Visit site
Well you don't have to stick to Yorkshire, you know. I've recently sold a 5 yo gelding to Yorkshire - to hunt with the Holderness. Buyer said he couldn't find anything as good locally!:D

I know JG.... but you're a very long way from the holderness, and we're a long way from them! :)

I always keep any eye on your lot - and keep thinking that really I ought to come and visit you. Just need to save up some more pennies!