When did this happen?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I think that if I had been on a livery yard for many years and the rule is alternate day turnout, then a new livery arrives and their horse gets daily turnout then I and most others at the yard would be miffed.

All horses need daily turnout. If the rule changes then it should change for all.

I agree with this.
Yes yoyebhorse needs turnout on medical gtiuds, their horses need turnout on sanity grounds.

happyhacking:)

Visit site
Why do people think that this sort of turnout arrangement is acceptable? Horses are herd animals and should be outside not cooped up like caged hens inside. There are plenty of all weather management ideas around these days without resorting to locking horses in 12 by 12 stables!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Sorry I have not made it clear. Geldings one day mares the next. On the day they cannot go in the field there are mud or sand paddocks available to turn out in but they are refusing now to use these.

Ahh ok. Thats a total bummer. Do they have insanely limited grazing? Doesnt sound like a very ideal setup TBH. I think up here we are well spoilt. My 2 ponies are in about 4 acres on their own!

SO1

Visit site
I think turnout is an emotive issue especially if some of the other liveries also have retirees that could benefit from the daily turnout too or someone else has asked YO for daily turnout due to medical issues and has been denied the same opportunities.

Do you pay extra as your horse goes out every day or do you pay the same as everyone else who get less turnout? If you are paying the same but getting a better deal that can someone times wind people up.

If there are sand paddocks that people can use for their horses on days that they do not get grass turnout could you retiree go in the sand paddock for 4 hours on the alternative days or does he need grass rather a leg stretch?

It is frustrating if your terms and conditions have changed due to others moaning rather than practical reasons for example not enough grass or some other reason such as mare owners not wanting a gelding in with the mares or the other way round. I presume as it is mares one day and geldings the next your horse is either going to be the only gelding in with mare or the other way around.

Maybe if you can have a chat with the YO to find out exactly what the other liveries are moaning about to try and see if their concerns can be addressed. It might be just a matter of the YO reminding the other liveries that the deal is grass turnout is every other day during the winter unless their vet has supplied a letter to confirm that the horse needs something different due to medical reasons. It is going to be harder for you to make friends with the other liveries if you are never there and if they don't know you very well it makes it harder for them to understand you or sympathise with your situation.

Luckily we have every day turn out all year round but the horses normally come in at 2.30ish {it is assisted DIY/part livery yard so no-one has to worry about combining work with CI or TO during the week} even during the summer so we can preserve the grazing and have all year turnout. This actually suits my pony well as he is a native pony so benefits from less grass and also he likes to come in early and is often waiting or comes over ready to come in if anyone comes into the field or tries to bring himself in. However all the liveries at our yard are friendly and understanding and so if anyone needed something different to them then it would not be a big deal and we all would help each other out as well if need be.

Last edited:

gnubee

Visit site
TBH, if I was a livery on restricted turnout and then YM let someone new on the yard and made them a special rule I would probably resent them a lot, and can easily see how that then descends into unjustified general bitching about the new pets on. Not your fault at all as YO agreed it without thinking how it would be perceived by current liveries, but I can see why they are sat there wondering why you are special and get different rules. I think it's a different scenario that YO let you move onto the yard with that preferential arrangement from day one than it would be if something happened down the line that meant you unexpectedly needed special arrangements. Totally YOs fault for letting you have a special deal in the first place.

Dubsie

Visit site
Livery yards are often nasty gossipy places. I suspect the majority of gossipers don't know why yours has to be out / is allowed out every day, and the YO has not the balls to say 'my yard my rules this is what I agreed and why'

Last edited:

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I feel for you and in no way do I justify bitchy comments made. However, I can see how your arrangement with the YO may have upset the other liveries.

We have a similar situation at the yard I am at, no winter turnout, never has been since I went there 4 years ago (the area I live in is bad for this)! But we have excellent facilities to exercise the horses.

New livery moves on with three ponies, a deal is done and these three ponies have had daily winter turnout all through the winter whilst ours have had to stay in.

When questioned the YO will not offer anything to liveries as a compromise (not even every other day) therefore resentment takes place, three people have moved off and I am on a waiting list for another yard and will move as soon as a stable becomes available.

I don't blame the new liveries, they only want what's best for their ponies (as we all do), I blame the YO for changing the rules to suit.

Has it caused some bitchiness? Yes, probably, it's an emotive subject, it has certainly caused resentment.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. They have definitely made me feel better about the situation. I am going to look around over the next few days to see if there is anywhere suitable (within a reasonable distance) to move them to. The YO did agree when I moved on that he could go out- she even spoke to my vet about it. I really can't be bothered dealing with the aggro so am just going to look elsewhere.

I was looking for my own place last year so I guess this has given me the kick up the backside to start looking again :)

Why not speak to the other livery with the pony that needs to be out and invite them to come and be a field companion with yours because I have no doubt they will be next in the firing line courtesy of the YO (weak) and the moaning liveries. I can't believe how so-called horse lovers could think it was ok to deny an animal turn out for medical reasons. Perhaps they should find a yard which has all year round turnout instead. I know from personal experience that turn-out to many owners means not HAVING to exercise the animal, not HAVING to muck out and not HAVING to turn up twice a day rather than any benefits it brings to their horse.

topsyturvy

Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions. Like I have said I do understand their frustrations but I believe it is unfair to take it out on me. I told the now former YM and YO that the pony needed to go out every day before I agreed to move on, they made the decision to let him go out. Now the exYM has a big issue with it! The horses will be living out soon so I doubt I will see any of them for a while, apparently once they go out most people don't go near the place.

kamili

Visit site
I think bide your time, but look around. Livery yards can be nasty at the best of times.
It sounds a little petty and don't let it get to you.