When did you buy a dressage saddle?

nato

Visit site
Might seem like a silly question, but I just don't know whether it's worth investing in one yet...

I have been regularly competing in dressage for the last 3-6 months, unaffiliated. I planned to affiliate this year but it proved too costly to affiliate at this point in the year for a few months, so I've decided to wait until January. I consistently get 63%+ and have a big focus on my flatwork. Not sure if it's worth investing in a dressage saddle or would my GP do me ok? I have a Kent and Masters GP (just a few months old) with the velcro knee rolls which I can move around.

PorkChop

Visit site
I found that a dressage saddle - as did a jumping - made a huge difference to my position and riding.

I can't remember when I last rode in a GP saddle, also I am only competing grass roots level.

I wouldn't however bother if I was happy in a GP and didn't have the spare cash :)

kassieg

Visit site
you can get winter BD membership for £45, but if it is like your BE membership the year runs from the month you buy it :)

I would definitely invest in 1. I bought my dressage saddle last winter & it has made a huge difference to my riding which in turn has made a massive difference to the way my mare goes. She was always nice on the flat but I feel I have actually been able to ride her effectively which makes her life easier as well :)

nato

Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm in Ireland and there's no specific winter membership so I'm just going to hang on until Jan.

I don't have a massive budget really, could anyone recommend a nice dressage saddle? I just bought my GP saddle brand new about a month ago as the old one didn't suit either of us, so a second saddle needs to be on the cheap!

{97702}

Visit site
I bought my horse in May and he has been in regular work since the beginning of July - I bought him a dressage saddle a couple of weeks ago, and the saddle fitter has come out & given it the OK for him this morning :)

It was a Passier that was £180 from eBay - it's obviously always a risk buying online but I always think I can just sell it again if it doesn't fit. I rode other horses for years just using a GP and only got a dressage saddle for my last TB, I found it made a huge difference to my riding & would always want to get one now

Llee94

Visit site
I haven't ridden in a GP for at least 5 years! I got my first dressage saddle when I started to thing about going BE. It made a huge difference to my position and I love riding in in it.
I got my last dressage saddle off eBay for £300. It is a fusion saddle with a lovely big external knee rail and is often mistaken for a much more expensive saddle. Always a risk buying off eBay but you can always sell it on if it doesn't fit.

nato

Visit site
Definitely leaning towards a dressage saddle now! Although after buying a brand new Gp saddle which was about £750 I feel like I need to make the most of it too :)

I really like the look of the Wintec Isabelle though they do come up expensive.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Just now, oops, we don't actually compete any more ;). I have a VSD as my GP for hacking and hunting that is super comfy but even with changing the velcro blocks around I couldn't quite get it how I wanted so when someone had one of the same make, size and colour of my VSD on preloved it may have ended up here ;) :D. I made show I didn't pay more than I knew I could sell it on again for.

wilsha

Visit site
I have just bought an old albion dressage saddle, its lovely though!
I event my young conemara and have a forward cut kent and masters gp to jump in and until recently do dressage in too. The new dressage saddle has made a huge difference to my horses way of going and my position! would definitely reccomend!

SallyBatty

Visit site
I got a Thorowgood T4 dressage saddle approx one year ago, not because I do lots of dressage but because I was really getting into doing proper schooling on the flat and I was finding that my GP was hindering my position a bit. Well, I can only say what a vast improvement it has made not only to my position and the effectiveness of my aids but also to the way my horse moves - I love it. So I would definitely say go for it and buy one. For info, the Thorowgood saddles are built on the same tree as the Kent & Masters saddles so should fit your horse fine.

gina2201

Visit site
I bought my dressage saddle as the first saddle for my ex racehorse! I was able to borrow a GP as well when I first got her until I got round to buying one only a few months ago though. I do find the dressage so much better for schooling in though and used to even hack in it as well!