When did you fall in love...

charliecrisps

Visit site
Did you always love your horse from the first moment or was it something they did that made you think yeah I love you more than anything... just curious when your moment may have been.

I didn't love mine at all really when I got him and thought for a long while id made an error in my purchase. He wasn't what i set out to buy (big hairy cob type) I bought him because he was thin and gangly and looked like he needed some love standing in a dirty stable with no hay and no mates in his barn. I guess you could say I sort of fell sorry for him!

He was very distant, unloving, aloof.. until that one day when he finally groomed my hair whilst I was scratching his chest. And I felt a sense of warmth for him... I was explaining this love to my boss when he said animals are just animals today... no body understands lol

comet!

Visit site
I intended to buy a non-hairy skewbald cob mare about 8+ years old but ended up with a hairy piebald 6 year old gypsy cob gelding.

I think it took quite a while....I had a few months of wondering why I'd bought him! I bought him in February when he'd been living out and was a hairy yak, but I'd seen a video of him in the summer and it was his trot that won me over. I think it took a good 6 months and maybe even not until we'd moved yards before I thought he was the right horse for me and even now we have occasional off wobbly days where I wonder if he'd be better with a better rider :)

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
I liked him as soon as I saw him. He was on sales livery at my yard. My horse was lame so I had a jumping lesson on him. He bucked me off lol and then the YM put the jump higher, too high I tonight, was about 1.10m, which was big for me especially on a strange horse. She said jump it, I didn't want to. So came up to it in the most backwards trot ever, willing him to stop or run out. Bless him he popped over it lovely and it felt amazing. So I bought him. I love him as he's done wonders for my confidence. He's such a willing little horse.

lucyrebecca94

Visit site
I fell in love straight away when I first met my mare. Had I any idea how difficult having a chestnut TB mare, I don't think I would have even considered going to see her. But in saying that yes some days I comtemplate selling her but then others when it's been a particularly stressful day at work I just love going down to see her and give her a big fat cuddle and all my troubles melt away. I think when you've had that moment of falling in love with them that's when the true bonds start to form

Dumbo

Visit site
Instanty for me! Had spoken to a woman who had several horses that needed exercising. I went to meet her and she said she'd kept in one that I could ride tomorrow and over the stable door popped a very scruffy but handsome face.
Bright bay with a stripe and pink muzzle, my heart melted! Then rode him the next day and he was so easy and kind. He was mine 6 months later :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Instantly with my late mare. She was just a horse in a million. My new filly is completely different. I really like her but don't love her yet even though she is adorable. But I think part of the reason is I am still grieving for the mare I lost and I am sure that love will come again in time. She's certainly not going anywhere!

Bazzel

Visit site
with my most recent horse I fell in love with the photos in the advert, then fell in love with him in the stable...then fell out of love riding him on the flat....but loved him again when I jumped him! He was my most instant loveable horse, with others it took longer to bond!

Char0901

Visit site
Instantly for me. She was owned by a friend of friend but I'd never seen her before. Went to try her with friend and adored her. Big 16.3 dark bay mare. Rode her, loved her even more. Tried her at a show and it was a disaster! Only went in a 90cm class at a local show but it was baddd! This was the first time mum had seen her and she couldn't see why I'd fallen in love! Went in the meter class and was a little better. Regardless I had to have her. We soon gelled and she was awesome. Jumped newcomers and the odd foxhunter. Despite her size she was an incredible speed horse 1.05m to 1.15m. We even did the 1.10 Derby at hickstead!
Put her in foal last year and she had a gorgeous colt. Heartbrakingly I lost her in October.
Her boy is a lovely looking chap and has her incredible nature. I bred him for myself to showjump or event eventually.
She lives on in him. I see more and more of her in him as his character starts to come out.

ellie11987

Visit site
Took me a long time with my mare... probably around a year. I absolutely hated her when I first got her, there were times I wanted to send her back. She used to piss off with me, try and kick me, rear on people in the field etc. Then I stated getting lessons on her and we started to bond a bit more as she turned into this lovely willing mare in the school - something I just hadn't tapped into. Then she went lame this time last year and we had a few months bonding and getting to know each other. I can honestly say she is my one in a million horse. She is absolutely stunning and my best friend. She whinnies when I come up to the yard and I can canter her out on her own on the buckle. She has totally done a 180 in behaviour and taught me so much in the process though it hasn't been easy.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
As soon as the auctioneers hammer fell & she was mine :D It helped that I was only 15 at the time & would have loved a 3 legged donkey :D :D

All these years later, the cantankerous old baggage remains the love of my life :D :D

Joanne4584

Visit site
I can't remember when I fell in love with Bertie. When I first saw him he was a big, hairy barrel wobbling round the school in trot! I didn't ride him because my arm was in plaster thanks to my previous horse. I turned Bertie down cause I didn't want a 3yo to bring on while studying for my GCSEs. I also thought that once he lost his weight he'd be a right handful.

A couple of months later my riding instructor asked me to try him. His owner had a mare she brought to the school for lessons so she would bring Bertie along too. I agreed, thinking she meant have a ride on him. Bertie turned up with tack and rugs for me to try him for 6 weeks! I had a rather awkward phone call to my parents that day!

But he never did become a handful, he is adorable. We are very well suited, he's a bit of a softie, and likes his food just like me. He never left after his 6 weeks, we bought him and I've had him for 15 years. Love him to bits!

blood_magik

Visit site
When he came off the lorry at home.

He went to my agent's yard in Ireland for a few days trial. The first day I tried him, we didn't get on at all. My dad and instructor managed to persuade me to try him again so I reluctantly agreed and he ended up getting me off. :tongue3:
I got back on and jumped him before my instructor tried him over a few bigger fences. On the third day I insisted on handling him and getting him ready and we started to click, but it wasn't until he came off the lorry at home and started nuzzling me that I really fell in love.

I bought him because he was the right horse for what I needed and then fell in love.

Meems

Visit site
it took me a few years before I could 100% say that I loved my mare. I certainly liked her but was a bit in awe of her at times (she could be quite naughty) and it took a long time to bond properly.

I've had her 10 years now and can honestly say I love her to bits!

Equinus

Visit site
About six months! I only realised I had when she was about to be sold as she was difficult and stubborn and I was tired of fighting. But she suddenly came right, or we clicked or something and she turned out to be a horse of a life time who was with me 25 years till she died. To say I was heartbroken is an understatement, it still brings a tear after eight years. But it was more than worth it.

katastrophykat

Visit site
Char0901- just wait til you start work with him! I'm a year into ridden work with mine, and he gets more like his dam- my horse of a lifetime- every day. I lost her when he was a yearling and I've never been so glad that I have a piece o her left in him.

Back to topic... I fell in love with said homebred youngster when I found him at two hours old in the wrong field, tottering about wondering where his mum had gone. He'd gone down a gap that the sheep use and through a ditch. As I'd just popped up at first light to see if she was showing signs of foaling(!!) I was wearing my pink, fluffy dressing gown when I had to pick him up and carry him- slime and all- back to his mum.

Greylegs

Visit site
Before i bought him, when he was still with his previous owner. He was at an event I attended and that was it really. I said to his owner, if you ever want to re-home that little guy, I'm in the queue. Fast forward through some events id rather not discuss here and i ended up having him on loan for a few months, then bought him. He's never going anywhere else now. Totally love him to pieces.

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I guess it kind crept up on me with Dexter, I thought he was lovely when I got him but I don't really know when I fell in love I just can't remember not looking at him and thinking I just love you so much. I haven't even backed him, yet I often sit with him and think about how perfect it will be when we get to work together I hope the bond grows (hope he doesn't just dump me at every opportunity, that might affect the bond) :D

Sorry I pass the sick bucket...

babymare

Visit site
From the moment i saw her beautiful frightened eyes. Only saw her by chance and wasnt looking for a horse but when told she was either sold or meat i knew i had to buy her regardless of her issues. Best decision i ever made :)

Shantara

Visit site
I didn't like Ned at all.

Of course I liked him as a horse, I don't think I've ever hated a horse! I felt very sorry for him and all his various injuries and issues...but to ride? NO! I'd rather not ride.

But YO forcing me into him has got to be the 2nd best thing she's ever done for me :)
The first being giving him to me!

It took me about a month before I actually started to ask to ride him, rather to her pouncing on me and saying "You're on Ned today, HAHA!"

Leaf

Visit site
I bought horses in Argentina for a client, flew them home, and one turned into a nightmare when he arrived here...turned out he had been very badly abused. He was so vicious and dangerous that I wouldn't let anyone else deal with him as I really feared what he could do... One day I realised that we just got each other... I put my hand on his neck he slowed, I could do anything with him, but woe betide anyone else that went near him.. And if anyone approached me when he was near he would scream, front feet flying! He is the equine love of my life.. The owner gave him to me as he pinned too many grooms in the stable.. Now well.. He has mellowed, loves my OH and the farrier although the vet is still viewed with beady eyes but tolerated... Just..

kassieg

Visit site
My old mare tried to kill me for the 1st 9 months I had her due to previously being beaten but I was determined not to give up on her despite the injuries I received & everyone telling me to get rid but something just clicked & she trusted me & I could do anything with her & by the end id never had a stronger bond

Lucy (current mare) ive had since she was 2 & when I 1st got her as a 2 year old she had been spoilt & thought she could throw her weight around & walk all over me so I didnt instantly have a bond with her but I did love her, now having had her nearly 3 years we have probably a stronger bond than I did with star, she worships me & I wouldnt swap her for anything even if someone offered me a 4* horse, truly nothing can beat producing your own youngster!

GlitterPup

Visit site
Still haven't really fallen in love with Missy. Don't get me wrong, I adore her and wouldn't be without her but we haven't quite found that 'click' yet :)

flirtygerty

Visit site
As soon as I saw him, despite having ditched his rider, I knew he was coming home, 4 years later he still gets jealous of other horses near me, or my OH if we hold hands while hacking, he has never tried to spin or take off with me, despite doing it to others who think they can ride. I just look into his eyes and I'm lost, I never tire of watching him in the field, oh my god, I'm addicted to my horse

Tayto

Visit site
I didn't expect to like my mare when I went to view her. I only went to view her as it was slim pickings and I wanted to try as many horses as poss to get a feel for what I wanted. The minute I got on I loved her and felt so safe. I then proceeded to go and try another horse that bolted with me and I came off. Heard there was some interest in my mare so despite being very sore and bruised, went back for a second viewing the day after my fall and got back on and she really looked after me.

Since buying her she has really tested me and recently has been a grumpy cowbag but tonight after the vet did some bloods she came over to me in the stable and rested her head on my for a few seconds as if to say "mum that hurt, give me some attention" It made my heart melt and gave me hope that she does look at me a more than the person that just feeds her and makes her do boring schooling haha!

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Yes, from the start. He was glowering at the world in a dark stable with a door to high, ears back, sullen and moody. I don't know why I loved him but I did. I took him home and I remember my husband stopped at fleet services for coffee and I peeked into the trailer without him knowing and he looked as though a light was shining on him, he looked so content! For the next two years I was the only one to love him, or even like him (he was a thug) but now 7 years on I THINK people are starting to understand why he is my pony of a lifetime :)

Antw23uk

Visit site
I've adored my horse since I brought him eight months ago because he was mine and I just loved being an owner after a few horrid set backs ...... and I've probably said I'm going to sell him a dozen times in that time, not because of him but because its all just got too much and I have felt useless at this whole horse thing (back 2 years after 20 year break)

I think that light bulb moment came a few weeks back when my yard owner called to say the vet was on the way and that Giz had come in on three legs ... well within a second my world had fallen apart and I fled from work cursing I didnt work closer to home. And a very illegal 40 minute drive later I turned up on the yard and my yard owner seeing my face and saying 'Don't worry, he is fine' ... The relief was immense and I was in tears. He had cut himself badly and ripped a shoe off so when I arrived the bute had kicked in and he was three sheets to the wind with this glazed fuzzy look in his eyes, lol, and he just looked at me and put his front leg out and gave me this look like he was saying 'Look dad, i've hurt myself' .... Well that was it, that was the moment when I realised I absolutely loved and adored him :eek:

He is so dopy and we can seem so alike sometimes that we just seem to click. I love just chatting to him and watching him seemingly listening to me. He loves being groomed and so we groom each other and he always whickers at me when I arrive at the yard or go to get him in, 99% of the time its like he geniunly lights up when he sees me and that just makes my heart burst with pride and love for him.

Last edited:

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
I fell in love with Boo about 3 hours after he arrived on my yard....This gangly,leggy, skinny,terrified 3 year old fell off the lorry and into my life. I got him into his new stable even though he could hardly walk for shaking and tried to comfort him. He was so frightened. I stayed with him for a few hours quietly doing chores and fussing his new stablemates. When he stopped shaking and started to have a little munch I went in to give him a little groom to relax him. He gently grabbed the back of my jacket and pulled me right in and wouldn't let go. My heart just melted and 13 years later and more adventures than I care to remember he still uses me as his comfort blanket if he gets worried...Never bites...just takes hold and pulls you in....I am so lucky to be loved by him.