When do Highlands stop growing?

FriesianCow

New User
Visit site
As above, what are your experiences of late maturing Highland Ponies?

I am looking to buy one (very exciting!) and I've found a lovely 5yr old gelding that fits the bill. But he has quite a slim build - more like a Connemara than a HiPo. Is he likely to bulk up much over the next few years? From what I can gather, HiPos continue to grow until 7/8yrs old, but is this really the case?

Please share your experiences and reassure me that I won't become stuck with a dainty pony!

Thank you in advance.

Visit site
He should have finished growing up the way now and will soon start to go out the way. You do get some quite narrow Highlands and if he doesn't have a decent width of chest I would walk away.

Highlands

Visit site
Mine matured at 7, my 5 year old suddenly looks like a highland rather than a bad connie!

Yes I agree with EKW depth of chest is important. My scottish bred pony is slower to mature than my English. Welcome to pm me the ponies prefix / stud name as some of them like mine mature later!

FriesianCow

New User
Visit site
Thank you for the help Highlands, but I can't access or send any pm's at the moment. I will work it out and get back to you with the pony's name

Highlands

Visit site
This pony is 24 but you can see he has a good chest, he looks square and is a bit like a table! The pony needs a body that matches it's head if that makes sense.

I will send you a pm!

FriesianCow

New User
Visit site
The pony I like has a similar 'table' shape, but looks like a slightly narrower table in some pictures, and huge in others. I'm viewing him next week so that should help me decide one way or another.
This would be much easier if I could just pm you - serves me right for lurking for years but never posting!

Highlands

Visit site
I do like a pretty head too, all mine have lovely heads.... Other faults yes but nice heads- the chocolate pony is a grumpy so and so...