When do you start bringing in overnight for winter?

thegreenergrass

Visit site
Hello!

Sorry to remind you all of winter as we are in the peak of our summer ;)

I'm planning to go away for a couple of weeks at the beginning of September. On full DIY livery. Pony is out 24/7 in summer. Winter he comes in at night and out during the day. He's my first pony and I got him last summer but the horse he was sharing a field with when I moved to the yard was in at night and out in the day all year round so as I followed their routine I never really noticed when would be a good time to start bringing in for the night.

Issue is I want to go away and I'm hoping I'd be able to leave him out 24/7 for the first 2/3 weeks of September. That way my friends up the yard would be happy to just check him over, give him his dinner when theirs have theirs, maybe bring him in a couple of times for a groom and my boyfriend would be happy to poopick/top up waters every other day (fieldmate does one day I do the next). If it was really adverse conditions my boyfriend would be happy to muck out and leave the stable ready for if he did need to come in (he's a bit of a saint). Pony is a total good-doer so I don't really have too many worries but just wanted to check the general consensus to see whether this seemed like a plan before I book my flights.

How do you guys on full DIY work it when you go away? When do those whose ponies are out 24/7 in summer and in at night in winter start to bring in for the winter?

Thanks

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I generally leave retired and companion out til their field is too wet, usually Christmas.
The ridden ones about October/November just because it's easier with riding and cooling off etc.
I think your plan sounds fine, all I'd want to check is what the other liveries are planning incase yours gets suddenly left alone. As long as that's covered go have fun before the winter slog!

be positive

Visit site
I aim to leave everything out until the clocks change in Oct, they are often out later but this tends to be the earliest I have to bring them in.

AFB

Visit site
As late as possible depending how wet it gets, usually November/December time - definitely not September!

Amye

Visit site
My boy still comes in in the summer but switches around so he's in during the day and out at night so he gets more hours out. At my yard horses have to be stabled overnight in winter, the switch around is normally around November time, depending on the state of the fields. I think last year we started stabling overnight on the first week of Nov. I would say yours will be fine out in September!

I'm full DIY too and when I go away my mum helps look after him. I would always make sure there was someone there to check over your horse everyday even if they are out 24/7 :)

ETA: Just re-read and seen that you've got that bit covered too!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine came in at the end of october last year as the weather was kind...would bring in at night if the weather was bad so no hard and fast rules...my friend and i are completely DIY,.i dont go away but my friend does and i do her horse for her and she gives me some money as it makes her feel more able to ask me...i tried to decline the money but we risked falling out so i now just say thankyou...we are lucky as we can always pay the yard to do out horses if we need to....

BeingKate

Visit site
Mine come in when they're ready :) I have the luxury of my own yard and I can do as I wish in reason. If it's chilly overnight and they're desperate to come in of a morning, then thats that, in they come... the main man also has an injury so it he appears stiffer than usual when the damp and cold come, it's also my sign they need to come in.

They're out 24/7 in summer (although the last few days they've been in out of the sun in the day, PHEW) so actually they quite enjoy the mod cons of their stables once the chill hits :)

Moomin1

Visit site
I'm not sure what adverse conditions we would see in September. Mine comes in beginning of November.

Shay

Visit site
It tends to be determined by the state of the ground rather than the date - although when the clocks change is a handy reference point. We have had to bring in as early as September occasionally when the weather had been really poor and the fields poaching. But you are likely to be OK in early September. It sounds like you have enough support to keep him safe if need be.

wiglet

Visit site
When I was on DIY, everyone had to bring in on or before November 1st.
I'm on full livery now and the horses are brought in all year round.

Damnation

Visit site
Depends on weather and what type of ground you are on. Buffy hasn't come in until December before, last year as it was so wet she was in the first week in November. One year she wintered out.

I would say September is usually *touch wood* still ok and you should be ok to go away, in all my time of owning horses (10 years) I've never brought in as early as September, but to be honest it could just be that I am very lucky!

This year I am hoping she will winter out!!! :D

thegreenergrass

Visit site
Yay ok thank you everyone!! Seems as though September will be fine :) His field companion will be out with him 24/7 but my boy is pretty chilled, if the other horse goes out for a hack he only ever does a couple of whinnies as he's leaving then carries on eating lol. Off to America I go :p

Kezzabell2

Visit site
ours stay out 24/7 until after xmas, unless its really wet. we judge it on the weather and conditions of the fields.

I would say they'd be fine until the end of October at most yards? I used to go with bring in when the clocks change but now the longer out the better!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I normally bring in for about 2 months if that, Jan/Feb they come in over night unless it's very frozen then they stay out. I prefer them out and so do they

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'm not going to. This will be my second winter at home and I think they came onto the yard about three days total last year (stables opened, yard enclosed in post and rail) In fact this year we have some spare land and an outbuilding come available at work so I might chuck them on that, let them get hairy and muddy, take the shoes off and leave them to it. At least then I would see them during the day light and if its a nice weekend I can hop on for a stroll round the work grounds!

Ben2684

Visit site
As late as the ground allows! Last year was the 26th November and the year previous 16th November (I only remember these dates exactly due to due them being mine and my sisters birthdays) ��