When do you start feeding senior dog food?

stargirl88

Visit site
As title.

Changing my dogs food as he isn't a big fan of kibble and like to keep things varied. Then I was thinking...he must be about 8 or 10 now. He is out and about all day (dog walker) and doesn't collapse in the evening (still up for another walk if there's one going). But he does now have a few old-dog fatty lumps so it got me thinking.... I've always had him on adult food but it just hit me that he is probably considered a senior now! I don't want him to lose energy by putting him on a low calorie senior food though.

What are your thoughts??? When and why did you pop your dog onto senior food? I have drawn a complete blank on what I've done in the past.

SpringArising

Visit site
We never use store-bought dog food. It's a load of junk. Ours are fed of a mix of rice/pasta, chicken, meat, veggies and leftovers from home-cooked meals, along with a bit of hot water to make a gravy.

If you're concerned for his joints give him a spoonful of cod-liver oil every day.

PingPongPony

Visit site
my mini poodle is 11, she went onto senior food at the age of about 8 i think, purely because, despite the amount of food being the same, and the amount of exercise being the same, she started putting on weight. went to vets, had tests done, no health problems, vet suggested her metabolism may be slowing down slightly. put her on senior and she's fine now, still as much energy etc, just not fat :)

SpringArising

Visit site
I used to feed cod liver oil to my old dalmatian until someone on here pointed out that it's bad for dogs. Can't remember who it was or why but I'd steer clear of it.

I've never had a problem with using it, and no vet has ever told me not to use it. Dogs need essential fatty acids, omega-6/omega-3 and can only get them from their diet.

dalidaydream

Visit site
I've never had a problem with using it, and no vet has ever told me not to use it. Dogs need essential fatty acids, omega-6/omega-3 and can only get them from their diet.

I did ask my vet and she confirmed that it's not good for dogs. I wish I could remember what it is - I don't think there's a problem with the omega 3/6, I think it's too high in certain vitamins. I know it was someone on here who told me so hopefully they'll pop up and confirm it.

Possum

Visit site
I'd always just assumed 'senior' dog food was marketing - i know they often say they contain joint supplements, but knowing how much glucosamine, chondroitin etc costs i was never convinced they contained enough to make a difference. Our old boy had a good quality commercial dry food and yumove.

dalidaydream

Visit site

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
We never use store-bought dog food. It's a load of junk. Ours are fed of a mix of rice/pasta, chicken, meat, veggies and leftovers from home-cooked meals, along with a bit of hot water to make a gravy.

If you're concerned for his joints give him a spoonful of cod-liver oil every day.

Please don't advise that.

Not all store bought food is rubbish, that's very sweeping. Orijen/Acana/Wainwright's Fishmongers are very good quality dry, Applaws is very good. It's not true to say anything available in shops is awful, and home cooked diets have been cited in a recent study as the worst way to feed your dog. (Can't remember where I saw this, will link it if I can remember!) No diet is perfect, however, all contain risks.

I used to feed cod liver oil to my old dalmatian until someone on here pointed out that it's bad for dogs. Can't remember who it was or why but I'd steer clear of it.

Ha, think that was me, looking at your link!

Thing is, some vets may never have done further study on nutrition after qualifying and a mate was given half a day on nutrition for all species :eek3: He graduated about four years ago.

I reiterate what I said previously about cod liver oil: it is very high in Vitamin A and is stored in the liver, which can cause damage long term. Salmon oil is far healthier and contains the essential fatty acids which support joint health.

I see little point in giving senior food: it is generally lower in calories so that dogs who don't run as much don't gain weight and contains a supplement such as glucosamine to support creaky bones. There are better and more proven supplements out there (see thread dalidaydream linked).

Last edited:

stargirl88

Visit site
Thanks folks I dont get notifications with replies so assumed no one had!!

I was only something I thought about as a number of people mentioned it....I am aware it's a marketing fad but there are some good ones out there (as was pointed out!) so toying with the idea. I'd love to feed raw but he turns his nose up at everything if it's not cooked. I shall look into a supplement as that is likely the best way to go.
Nutrition is always such a minefield with differing opinions and studies done it's tough to know what's best!

SpringArising

Visit site
Please don't advise that.

Not all store bought food is rubbish, that's very sweeping. Orijen/Acana/Wainwright's Fishmongers are very good quality dry, Applaws is very good. It's not true to say anything available in shops is awful, and home cooked diets have been cited in a recent study as the worst way to feed your dog. (Can't remember where I saw this, will link it if I can remember!) No diet is perfect, however, all contain risks.

Ha, think that was me, looking at your link!

Thing is, some vets may never have done further study on nutrition after qualifying and a mate was given half a day on nutrition for all species :eek3: He graduated about four years ago.

I reiterate what I said previously about cod liver oil: it is very high in Vitamin A and is stored in the liver, which can cause damage long term. Salmon oil is far healthier and contains the essential fatty acids which support joint health.

I see little point in giving senior food: it is generally lower in calories so that dogs who don't run as much don't gain weight and contains a supplement such as glucosamine to support creaky bones. There are better and more proven supplements out there (see thread dalidaydream linked).

All of the 'Acana' dog foods you just pointed out to me have a Vitamin A supplement in them.

It's good for coat condition, vision, ovarian health and a bunch of other stuff - unless you are feeding an obscene amount of it, then there is absolutely no reason not to feed it. A couple of teaspoons of CLO a week is going to do far more good than harm.

And IMO, the majority of store-bought foods are junk, just as most supermarket shelved stuff is. I generally think that if it needs advertising, it's got some sort of rubbish in it. If you can find a dog food without additives, cereals and a load of preservatives, then great.

Last edited:

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
[QUOTE

And IMO, the majority of store-bought foods are junk, just as most supermarket shelved stuff is. I generally think that if it needs advertising, it's got some sort of rubbish in it. If you can find a dog food without additives, cereals and a load of preservatives, then great.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this, I have never fed CLO to mine as I have never investigated it, so can't comment on it's use. I use coconut oil and Diatomacous Earth for joint support and maintenance as well as lots of other health benefits instead.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I am aware that Vitamin A is good for them for various reasons, but as already mentioned, cod liver oil is too high in it which can be harmful. Giving it every day as you suggested earlier is not, IMO, a good idea. A couple of times a week as you then suggested, maybe, but there are other superior oils available.

I agree that many foods available in stores are poor, but some are very decent. It's not true to say that all are without merit. If you're feeding pasta-made from cereal, obviously, and rice, then you could easily feed a store bought food which incorporates lots of these: some might say that they were unnecessary and fillers.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Not wishing to get in to the debate of store food being junk or not - there are a few foods for senior dogs which help to reduce brain ageing. It's not just about calorie content.

I don't know whether these foods have any merit or actually work. But there are senior foods which are meant to have other benefits than just controlling weight.