When does 'spring' grass become 'summer' grass?

magichorse

Visit site
Traditionally, we are warned of the dangers of 'spring' grass and associated weight gain/ laminitis. I have always been led to believe that 'spring' grass is more potent/ dangerous than grass later in the year. My question is, is grass growing later in the year less 'dangerous' to horses prone to laminitis than spring grass? If so, when does it become less so?

Thank you!

Thistle

Visit site
It's all to do with rainfall and temp. Summer grass normally has less rain. The grass we have atm is more like spring grass. However it can lose some value once it has gone to seed, but if it's being topped or grazed/rotated it will retain a higher value.

Lots of horses with lami atm.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I t hink that all grass can contribute to laminitus, and wouldn't relax over the summer with a laminitic. Autumn can bring a last flush of sugars, and frost can spur laminitus in winter, so I'd always be on guard..

domane

Visit site
^ wot they said ^

This year we had "summer grass" in March and April when it didn't rain for much of England and now, with the appearance of the intermittent showers, we are finally having "spring grass" :rolleyes:

indie999

Visit site
ok If a meadow is left and it goes long and seedy at the end of the hot dry summer and resembles hay I always think the goodness is gone and this long grass is safer(in effect it looks more dead/hay) If the horses eat it down its usually more yellow at the bottom(as it hasnt had the sun). there isnt much nourishment in this type of grass.

But due to our drier spell recently ( the grass was eaten and never got long)as happened a few weeks ago..mine had eaten it down. NOW its rain and sun and greener and growing fast more like spring grass! Short new little tips and dangerous grass.

This is how I look at it!