When horse searching, how far from "perfect" would you stray?

Sologirl

Visit site
What would you compromise on if a horse ticked all other boxes, and what are your deal-breakers?

For example, I always imagined myself buying a cob, gelding, between 14.2-15.2hh. So I'm baffled that I've found myself falling in love with a 16.2hh ISH mare that's for sale! She's just lovely but I'm worried that she'd be wasted with me, not to mention a bit on the big side and would need serious feeding up in winter :-/ should I keep looking until reality matches what's in my head? Or just accept I'm never going to find something that is absolutely perfect in all ways?

windand rain

Visit site
I will admit to not having a perfect anything list I have bought what I like and as long as it isnt wildly over my price I will keep an open mind. when younger my first horse was a non racing Irish TB second a crazy arab x clydesdale. Noe all they have to be is female, less than a year and have full native pony papers. Not to bothered about which of the M&M breeds as long as it is a nice showable foal with a chance of getting placed and has at least learned to walk on a headcollar. Used to get the wild as a coot ones but sadly not getting any younger so like the first leading done now if possible however if they are what I want and as wild as a coot I would still be interested

be positive

Visit site
Horses don't care if they are being wasted or not reaching their potential so that is no reason to not buy but a full hand over the original maximum with the other implications involved may be. She is a lot bigger than you were looking for and a totally different type, that may be going a bit too far and the risk of over horsing yourself but if she has a really good temperament and you feel confident on her go back with an open mind and try again just to make absolutely sure.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I agree, the horse doesn't know its potential. Also, not all ISH are as sporty as people think, it covers just about everything!

As for the feeding worries, I have two big ISH, they don't eat that much, in fact they live off fresh air! The only real difference I noticed with them, is that they go through shoes quicker!

micki

Visit site
I strayed very far from perfect. I wanted a gypsy cob, piebald filly, between the ages of 18 months to 4 years old to make 15hh(ish). I bought a grey IDxTB 17 month old colt that has made 16.2hh. The only bit i got right was his age!!
If the horse you have seen seems right for you then try her again and see how you feel after a second viewing. Can you afford to keep a bigger horse?

maree t

Visit site
go with your gut. We went looking for a games pony for my daughter (under 14hh) rocked up at a yard to view a 14hh cob. he was a 15hh ISH cross. Fell in love and bought him for my son. First show tomorrow. If it feels right ....................

blitznbobs

Visit site
i usually only compromise on price these days - i know exactly what im looking for its a horse to do a job - i have my ' toy' horses to play with but my next horse i want to do proper dressage with...

Snowysadude

Visit site
I went looking for that '15hh cob' and found a 17hh warmblood I fell in love with. Luckily I was quite horsey and had a lot of experience for my age when I bought him 4 years ago. All I will say is he was a huge learning curve but he also had a lot off issues the seller knew about but kept to himself. I found out about them via YouTube! I think so long as you know the history behind them then you are safer. Cob can be mad too! Having said that I recently purchased a 3 year old cob who is much saner, safer sbd allround easier than my now 11 year old warmblood is haha.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think you have to ask why you chose a small cob in the first place and why a large ISH now fits your criteria? If it was just a fixation on type rather than suitability then it could be fine. Will it be too big? IME bigger horses on the whole do cost more to keep and seem less hardy (generalisation alert).

Also don't let desperation to get a horse make you buy something that isn't really suitable I think it is a trap a lot of us fall into when we have looked for ages and not found the right one. I've done it myself in the past and ended up selling on pretty soon afterwards - more heartache and lost money.

Janee

Visit site
Ummm, a long way! When I finally agreed we could look for a first pony for my girls to share I specified - gelding, no greys and not a youngster about 14hh. After looking for about 6 months, and any thing which sounded ok either wasn't or had been sold, I agreed to look at one which was relatively local. We bought a 3 year old just backed skewbald mare, advertised as 14.2 hh but obviously smaller than that, but she felt right!! We now have, 2 years later, as near a perfect pony as you can ask for (apart from the grey mare bit) she is a super pony and I just keep praying she will grow a tad more so when daughter outgrows her she will be mine lol.

Theocat

Visit site
You probably want a cob gelding between 14.2 and 15.2 because you have had very positive experiences with those before. If this mare makes you feel positive - and you can afford any extra costs - that's all that matters!

I think most people start with a shopping list, but the final decision is always for the one that feels right :)

Sologirl

Visit site
Thanks guys :) I didn't expect to like her! Heard she was for sale and went to try her anyway, she's at a riding school just now and is being ridden by a range of abilities starting at total beginners so I don't think she'd be too much for me lol, but I just wonder what she'd be like if her workload was dropped from 3-4 hours a day to 1-2 hours 3-4 times a week! I do want to get a bit more jumping/schooling under my belt than I normally do so I can't help but think she'd be great. Luckily they aren't in a mad rush to sell so I can look at anything else that comes along in the meantime that might suit me better. But she really is lovely - I'd hate to miss out on a great pal for the sake of 4 inches...lol x

Megibo

Visit site
This is 8 years ago now, but when we were looking for our first pony (fresh out of riding school kids, mum been out of horses for 25+ years, you get the picture) Mum was adamant we weren't going to get anything young/green, welsh or a mare..

So of course that's what we came home with..a just turned 6, green welsh D mare :p
Still got the little madam!

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
The only way to shop for a horse is to have a completely open mind-which is how I ended up with a 14.3hh Arab when I really thought I would buy a 16hh showjumper. But I love her. It felt right.

PerlinoPlank

Visit site
On my "shopping list" would have been there a been there & done it, 14.2ish 10yrs ish, Native x, PC pocket rocket type to be a bit of safe fun after not having horses for a few years & being too old to bounce any more.....I actually bought a funny coloured, loopy 2yr AQH that I'd always got on with, even when no one liked her and said she should be shot! She's now 16.1 and a bit big for me, just as loopy, I broke her in myself and got a broken back and a broken leg in the process, but I wouldn't change her for the world :D

I guess it's the age old heart/head argument? Some just feel right, even if you don't know that it's what you want at the time!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I looked at loads of horses when buying mine. I'd had a few chestnuts before so didn't want a chestnut and I'd never got on with mares so didn't want a mare. That was the only things I didn't want!! Everything else I was open too as long as it did the job.

And you guessed it, I ended up buying a chestnut mare!!!! And still have her 7 years later.

I think when looking for horses you have to be pretty open minded.

Also my newest addition I didn't want something unbroken as was hurt whilst breaking a youngster the previous year. Was offered an unbroken gelding and snapped him up.

I'm actually pretty useless at sticking to my shopping lists lol

soulfull

Visit site
As you say the drop in working hours could be a problem. If you have plenty of help ie is there someone that could ride her 3 or 4 times a week if you needed it.
Could you manage weekly lessons for a couple of months?

For me the above would make the difference whether I bought or not

DanceswithCows

Visit site
I stray a LOT and have ended up with a random selection of horses which I never really wanted! Although, I think they are just as good/better than what I wanted, so it's OK :D

babymare

Visit site
Jeeeezzzz i wasnt searching but stilll ended up with "a dangerous unrideable "horse who just said buy me im a good horse really. and she is the sweetest most beautiful amazing horse ever. rode her jumped her hacked her before her sight got to bad. my horse of my life. :) x