When husbands try to help with the horse

metalmare

Visit site
What a patient horse!

My hubby is actually very good and will be doing the pony more than me when I start my new job, as he drives past him and I don't. He is well trained :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I showed that to my husband . . . who is completely non-horsey and even he laughed and said "that just doesn't look right . . . "

Bless.

P

sonjafoers

Visit site
Oh poor pony :D

My husband once did a similar thing with my fly masks - between him and our farmer land owner they managed to get them on upside down and couldn't understand why the horses kept getting out of them!

On a not so funny note my friend has just told me one of her friends left her husband in charge of her horses whilst she was away & he decided to lead one out, let it go when it started playing up and it ran into a cattle grid, broke its leg and had to be pts. Not a nice situation all round :(

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Well sorry to be a killjoy, but my OH is brilliant. He has taken over much of the care and all of the riding of my horse whilst I have been ill. If it wasn't for him I would have to sell my horse, which would be terrible. He really wants a 16hh ID for himself, but has put up with riding my 15hh HW cob. I find him reading horse classifieds and feel really bad...but as soon as I feel well enough to ride again, I know there will be no stopping him :)

Perhaps we should have a "Thank goodness for OH's" thread? :)

Terminator

Visit site
My OH was bringing in my horse from the field on my behalf whilst I was away on a hen weekend but forgot to take the headcollar with him. As he couldn't be bothered to walk all the way back to the yard he grabbed hold of the neck on his rug and with a packet of extra strong mints in the other, led him all the way back into his stall, past many dumbstruck fellow liveries.... My OH is now referred to as 'Monty'!

tls

Visit site
My husband has his own horse but frequently picks up the bridle and just stares at it trying to figure out where everything goes. He turned my 15.2hh mare out in his 17hh horses rug and didnt realise anything was wrong until he tried to put the 15.2's rug on the 17hh!!

McNally

Visit site
hehe, I shared this on my FB recently.
My OH is actually very very good. I couldnt do it without him anymore either financially or otherwise he helps so much ;-)

JM

Visit site
My husband is brilliant - walks miles with me after a hard day at work while long-reining my boy, listens, talks and helps me through the difficult times with my stressy boy and loves all our 'herd' as much as I do. Lucky or what!! :)

Luci07

Visit site
One of my exs asked me where I wanted the water. Said in the box, really!? He said?

The POURED the water in the box!!!

nixxyz

Visit site
My OH's first attempt at putting a headcollar on looked exactly the same as that, except he thought it didnt look right and tried again, However he couldnt tell the difference between a stable rug and a turnout, so there were a few occasions my horse was turned out in the wind and rain in a quilted stable rug :D

bumper

Visit site
My OH once went up to bring in my (then) 4yo, as I was mucking out, and arrived back on the yard with the headcollar ON...but only over one ear. Good job said horse is as quiet as.

Saying that, he is remarkably helpful with mucking out, poo picking and mending stuff. I'm glad to have him!

smokey

Visit site
Reminds me of a couple years ago who were looking after their daughters pony while she was on holiday. Completely non horsey, they decided to change his rug. Hysterics from everyone when the dad asked if they've done it right. Poor pony was standing with the rug back to front, tail flap swinging on his neck, and the full neck offering full protection to his tail! Mum and dad saw the funny side luckily. :)

hannah90

Visit site
My OH was bringing in my horse from the field on my behalf whilst I was away on a hen weekend but forgot to take the headcollar with him. As he couldn't be bothered to walk all the way back to the yard he grabbed hold of the neck on his rug and with a packet of extra strong mints in the other, led him all the way back into his stall, past many dumbstruck fellow liveries.... My OH is now referred to as 'Monty'!

:D:D at least he tried !

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Tbh my OH is the only person I would trust to look after my horse properly in my absence. Although he is not 'horsey' he puts my bridle & saddle back together when I take it apart to clean because I'm hopeless at it! He doesn't come to the yard all that often but my horse 'knows' him well. When she hsd bee badly
injured in the field, yard staff could not get close enough to her to see the extent of her injuries so my OH was sent to the rescue & she was happy for him to have a good look at her b4 deciding she urgently needed a vet. Because my OH rides a motor cycle my horse constantly pricks her ears & takes great interest in passing motorbikes when we hack out. I'm forever telling her "no, it's not him....." :D

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Mine's pretty good with the horses. Prime example today :)

Had a lie in (building up my energy for going back to school on Monday :( ) so got to the yard a bit later than usual.
Got there and OH noticed that the patch of field under the tree was a bit boggy (thunderstorm last night) so he decided to move the electric fence to protect the field.
Then I got Jazzy in and groomed him whilst OH got the wheelbarrow and poo picking skip.
I tacked up jazzy and got on him. OH then walked with me down the track to open both the 5 bar gates for me (Jazzy's 17.2hh so quite hard to get on from the ground ;) ) and I hacked out for an hour. When I got back the whole field was spotless - all the poo picking was done. As soon as I got off Jazz, OH was taking off his reflective strips and boots from his leg and was undoing Jazzy's grackle noseband and rubbing Jazzy's face where the straps have been.

He's non horsey but has a lot of empathy and compassion for animals.

I'm very lucky really.

He does, however, get confused with headcollars - Jazzy has reached the stage of trying to put it on himself whilst OH does the buckle up!!

Janah

Visit site
My Oh is non horsey but is brilliant at fencing, electric or otherwise and many repair type jobs. When asked to do anything directly to do with said pony, says stop fussing, ( I do tend to give in detail instructions), "He will tell me how to do it" and he does!!!!!!!!!!!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Brilliant photo :D

I'm lucky that my hubby is so good with the horses, despite not having a clue when we met.

Not long after I got Amber, and while I was looking after a couple of horses on the yard, I was really ill, so not only did hubby take the day off work, he went to the yard, correctly rugged, turned out and mucked out 3 horses, checked those out in the field, put out hay, did waters etc. When one of the other liveries arrived later that day, she was shocked (in a good way) that he had done so well- especially as he had never handled one of the horses before!

Just goes to show that my nagging, erm I mean teaching, worked! :D

CLM

Visit site
My 19 year old son did this when he first put on a headcollar. Decided it looked wrong, and got it right second time as he said the horse basically showed him how it went. Horse is always desperate to come in so not surprised.
The thing he really can't get over is the horse walker, that anyone would have thought to invent/manufacture/buy a machine to make horses walk in a circle - blows his mind entirely!

Littlelegs

Visit site
My ex husband was useless. Mainly because my sweet natured, safe for kids pony hated him, & kept threatening him, or just wouldn't go near him. I should have taken more notice! And the horse was big & highly strung & made him nervous. Occasions he was at the yard more likely to stand about muttering 'ffs hurry up'.
Current boyfriend clueless. Likes all animals, & treats the horses like large dogs. Not much use at jobs though! I did send him with daughter once when she was about 5 & I was ill to do them. But with strict instructions that she was in charge, he was there to lift/ carry things & cos she's too young to go to a quiet farm alone.

my bfg

Visit site
hehe amazing how non-horsey folk think they've suddenly become "experts" after just stroking a ned

an ex was forever going on about the fact he reckoned he wasnt afraid of Em despite her size (shes an ardennes so a very chunky monkey) and could easily handle looking after her if the need arose.

one night he insisted on taking the wheelbarrow to her field whilst i wetted up her hard feed, few seconds later he pelted past me still with the wheelbarrow of hay shouting "she's running!!!!!!" look behind him to find Em at a fast walk looking very bemused that her hay was disappearing off into the distance! :)

Hollycatt

Visit site
That pic really made me laugh :)

One of my male friends, while at the yard asked if he could give my horse a carrot while I did haynets etc. I said one!! I came back to find he had taken the bag in the stable with him, and my 17hh powerfully built warmblood (gelded late) had kind of hooked his big strong neck round my friend and had him pressed up against him - demanding carrots. My friend wasn't frightened and both seemed very pleased him themselves :eek: - 'look he loves me' my friend said. He was Polish and used to say really sweet things such as 'shall I put his dress on for you?' as he kept forgetting the word for rug :D

doonrocket

Visit site
Still you all like to laugh at the boys!
When i was starting out I went on a riding weekend at Waterford nr Durham, Left to tack up on our own aas the good lady is horsey i made a little error and put the numnah on sideways.
when I bought the horse into the school, the instructor brought all the staff in to laugh at me!

I had been a bit cocky throughout the weekend - so probably deserve it. i was so scarred I had to go out and by three horses of my own!