When is a young horse ready to go showjumping?

littleredmare

Visit site
I have a 4yo and at the moment she's nicely popping small courses with fillers at home.

When would you say is the best time to take a 4yo to their first show?
And what height would you suggest?

Last edited:

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
I would first take her to shows but not compete, just ride around so she gets used to the environment. When you do eventually compete, go a height or two lower than you are training at so you are confident in you and your mare's ability. Good luck!

paddi22

Visit site
has she been out to any clinics or strange arenas? It mightnt be any harm to get her used to strange environments without the pressure of jumping.

If she's fine with that i'd take her to quiet local shows and do a few over tiny jumps to get her confidence up.

be positive

Visit site
I would find somewhere that does clear round and just go and do that, at a height slightly smaller to what you are jumping at home, I would aim to get there, walk around in hand to let them take in everything, get on, warm up, do possibly 2 CR and go home, it would depend on how the first trip went as to what I did next time but very likely to do 1 CR then the first class, maybe miss the JO if it means standing about for ages so you finish on a good note.

The most important thing is to not overface her, not just in height but in how she will cope with the whole situation, if they get overwhelmed and lose confidence early on it can take a long while to get them back on track, if they seem to be struggling with concentration the best thing is to forget jumping and give them time to take everything in then go home, you can always go another day but if you push them too far it may take months to rebuild the lost confidence you have been working on at home.

littleredmare

Visit site
She went to a couple of clinics before I had her and she's been to my instructor's yard and jumped there and she was fine.

Will definitely take her to a show ground and ride/walk her round.

Do you think it's best to do a clear round or a proper class? Or does it not really matter?

paddi22

Visit site
clear round every time. less chance of rider getting nerves, plus a chance to school over a course again if an issue comes up.

for a few show i'd be tempted to bring her to starter stakes or tiny crosspole courses, just to get her round stress free and not worrying about the jumps.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have a 4yo and at the moment she's nicely popping small courses with fillers at home.

When would you say is the best time to take a 4yo to their first show?
And what height would you suggest?
4 is too young

My new mare is 5 1/2 and was jumping last year age 4 - 4 1/2 with her then owners. It is too young and I have given her the year off jumping so wont jump her till 6 in April and even then only poles. Too many people jump young horses too young and their legs get shot to pieces, why the rush to jump her - give her time to grow and mature.

Take her to a show but don't compete

rachk89

Visit site
I would say she is too young. Loads of showjumpers end up with issues because they are jumped too much and too young. I barely even jumped my 6 year old once a month even though he loved it but I don't want to wreck his legs. I am a worrier though.

paddi22

Visit site
i'm backing a four year old at the moment but wouldn't see any jumping this year. Would be aiming to have her trotting over TINY crosspole courses by end of next year though. I completely agree with not pushing young horses over larger proper showjumping courses, but think its a good experience to get them used to trotting small courses and getting used to shows etc with no pressure when young, Then giving them a break and going back to jumping when they are older. Also thinks its priceless to get them casually and happily popping small logs xc the odd time.

littleredmare

Visit site
Don't shoot me down but what is the point of there being age classes for 4/5/6 year olds if it's too young to jump them?

Edit: I'm not aiming to jump affiliate her anytime soon, just bringing it up.

kassieg

Visit site
Don't shoot me down but what is the point of there being age classes for 4/5/6 year olds if it's too young to jump them?

I agree with this to an extent as someone who is planning on the 4 year old classes (eventing) this year. That said I planned them & the 5 year olds with my old mare & didn't do any because she wasn't ready

I plan them but if not ready won't do them. Said 4 year old is currently walking & trotting (due to weather & ground I can't do anymore)

The issue is not with jumping 4 year olds its with racing them round. Taking your baby to do a class if it can produce a balenced trot & canter is not an issue. Trot it round, let it canter if its happy to & take it at their pace. It will be a fantastic education for them :)

paddi22

Visit site
agree with above. I love trotting them round tiny shows as you ingrain the idea of going over the fence without question, but make it easy for them. they learn to cope with show atmosphere and the travel, standing round etc. and they learn to concentrate over courses.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Just think for a moment of a babies legs still growing and maturing - being turned sharp between jumps and their weight coming down through the joints at such a young age. Wear and tear on the knees and hocks

Sorry seen too many horse liveries come through here with bad or worn joints from jumping too young

1. One livery we will call *W* had a coloured pony around I think he was 15.2, beautiful horse. She jumped him and jumped him over 5ft jumps at 4 - 5 years old going in for many show jumping competitions.

I heard a few years down the road his hocks were shot too pieces and he could not jump after that and I don't know what happened to him after that.

2. A lovely 17 1. ID x he was 6 at the time and was sound for a bout 2 weeks in total days in a year was treated for navicular but the medication did nothing, and after a year the owner got a 2nd opinion where they scanned his legs. His feet were f8ck3d and he was put down a few days later. Post Morton found he had been hunted before the girl got him and his feet were damaged.

Regardless of a show having age classes - that does not mean it is right to jump babies.

Jumping too young shortens their career IME

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
theres hard core jumping and there's gentle age appropriate jumping though. I don't think anyone is talking about jumping 5ft fences on a four year old though, as thats damaging as you say.

kassieg

Visit site
Just think for a moment of a babies legs still growing and maturing - being turned sharp between jumps and their weight coming down through the joints at such a young age. Wear and tear on the knees and hocks

Sorry seen too many horse liveries come through here with bad or worn joints from jumping too young

1. One livery we will call *W* had a coloured pony around I think he was 15.2, beautiful horse. She jumped him and jumped him over 5ft jumps at 4 - 5 years old going in for many show jumping competitions.

I heard a few years down the road his hocks were shot too pieces and he could not jump after that and I don't know what happened to him after that.

2. A lovely 17 1. ID x he was 6 at the time and was sound for a bout 2 weeks in total days in a year was treated for navicular but the medication did nothing, and after a year the owner got a 2nd opinion where they scanned his legs. His feet were f8ck3d and he was put down a few days later. Post Morton found he had been hunted before the girl got him and his feet were damaged.

Regardless of a show having age classes - that does not mean it is right to jump babies.

Number 1 is a typical case of hammering a youngster into the ground. That's not jumping its over jumping unnecessarily. No 4 or 5 year old needs to jump that big or that often.

It is worlds away from allowing your horse to pop round a course of fences at its own rythem, allowing their brains to work it out & learn.

You comment a lot of the physical aspect of over jumping & hammering over fences but not the mental aspect.

I had a mare who was overjumped at 4 & 5, evident by her bsja record. Raced round jump offs because the height was easy for her & she was naturally quick. Sadly I didn't know this till after I bought. Her brain was fried :( jump 1.40 one day & wouldn't go near a pole the next.

I would never ever over jump a youngster, but to say to not jump them at all at 4 is extreme

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Good luck with your clear round hope it goes well. I don't think it matters if it is clear round or a class as your not going to be riding for a win, but clear round is cheaper
My girl is 5 this year and while she is happy jumping a small course at home she didn't go to a show as a 4yo, as she is very nervous of other horses. Hopefully she will be out soon.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I took my 4 (5 in April) year old connie to a 50cm clear round in December just to take him somewhere and do something fun. He was great and loved it but that'll be it now for a while and this year just aiming at fun rides so will pop a log out then.

He came from Ireland so has already done far too much for a 4 year old so really backing off him compared to what he has done.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I think quietly trotting round some tiny fences won't do any harm at all, it is the situation she is being trained to cope with. I hate seeing people push novices over higher jumps, the height is irrelevant at this stage as it is all about confidence.

paddi22

Visit site
i think its less damaging popping round the odd tiny low pressure courses. You'd expect a horse to be happily out competing at 7 if they were ready. if you only started jumping at 5 or 6 then i think thats too much pressure on them in a short space of time to get used to shows, courses, atmospheres etc. Much better to have them balanced and calm round small courses where height isn't a challenge, learning to go straight and forward ignoring distractions. That way when they ARE up to jumping bigger you have all the basic established.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I really don't see the issue with trotting/slowly cantering round a small unaff clear round is going to harm a 4yo's legs! Same re clinics.

only_me

Visit site
If you feel the horse is ready to go out then he is probably ready :)

A Small Amount of jumping over a few courses of small jumps (90cm) is not going to damage a 4 year old much. Especially if they are mature/sport types. Plus one way of knowing if he's ready is taking him out :p I'd go for some low key unaff stuff, like a PC open to all class type thing.

Imo doing too little can be as damaging as doing too much with young horses. When Bill was 6 he did the 1* 5&6 year old class, which he found easy, and all we had done prior was 4 novices, which again he found easy. As a 5 year old he did 3 90s and 3 prenovices. So not exactly over worked but within his comfort zone. But in Ireland we probably are a bit faster in bringing on young horses tbh.

I don't know much about height jumping for young horse showjumping classes but the young event horse classes here where the finals are at Dublin horse show the 4 year olds jump max 1m and the 5 year olds jump 1.10m max - hardly taxing!

Fiona

Visit site
I agree with this to an extent as someone who is planning on the 4 year old classes (eventing) this year. That said I planned them & the 5 year olds with my old mare & didn't do any because she wasn't ready

I plan them but if not ready won't do them. Said 4 year old is currently walking & trotting (due to weather & ground I can't do anymore)

The issue is not with jumping 4 year olds its with racing them round. Taking your baby to do a class if it can produce a balenced trot & canter is not an issue. Trot it round, let it canter if its happy to & take it at their pace. It will be a fantastic education for them :)

Totally agree - trotting round the occasional course of crosspoles/40cm fences on a nice surface if not going to do any damage.

Fiona

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Number 1 is a typical case of hammering a youngster into the ground. That's not jumping its over jumping unnecessarily. No 4 or 5 year old needs to jump that big or that often.

It is worlds away from allowing your horse to pop round a course of fences at its own rythem, allowing their brains to work it out & learn.

You comment a lot of the physical aspect of over jumping & hammering over fences but not the mental aspect.

I had a mare who was overjumped at 4 & 5, evident by her bsja record. Raced round jump offs because the height was easy for her & she was naturally quick. Sadly I didn't know this till after I bought. Her brain was fried :( jump 1.40 one day & wouldn't go near a pole the next.

I would never ever over jump a youngster, but to say to not jump them at all at 4 is extreme

Your opinion

I don't think it is extreme - you have nothing to lose by waiting till 6 and everything to gain.

Why should I divulge every little detail of horses that could no longer jump due to being ridden too long? That is because I post on some of what I see first hand - I have been at a training yard where we have had many of the horses go sour through jumping too young as well as damaged mentally and physically. I don't go into full detail of things I have see or experienced in full on a forum like this that will be fueling the fire..

Your entitled to your views as I am mine, I base mine on what I have experienced and seen and been taught in the 40 + years with horses.

I don't agree with jumping horses too young and I wont jump mine till 6 as I want to undo everything she has been taught and start again slowly. I don't see the need to rush out and start jumping a baby, I think it is more important to work on the aids - balance - commands - ability - agility - balance - learning to judge a stride and more since many accidents happen when rider or horse fail to set themselves up for a jump correctly or know when to circle away from a jump to avoid injury.

I know my mare can jump as I seen the rosettes etc but that does not mean she jumped correctly so we will start again and go the right way this time

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
Its a matter of common sense. Totally disagree that 4 years old is too young to compete. It depends on the horse. Some are just not ready either physically or mentally, but some are. You need to take a view on the horse you have in front of you. The fact that your youngster is already jumping fillers, sounds as though they are comfortable jumping at least 70cm. So, personally I would go to a clear round event, and go in the 60cm class.

My 4 year old will be aimed at a couple of evebting Young horse classes, if she is ready. These will be planned shortly and a critical path put in place to get her ready . We will start with clear round classes and if she enjoys that move on at a pace that suits her.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I normally have them trotting over little cross poles and straight bars at home before venturing out, then I'd just go in for the smallest class or two and literally trot round really quietly. I would always make sure I give extra time to warming up so you can just walk about for a while to get them used to the atmosphere. I think the sooner the better for getting them out to competitions once backed, but obviously keeping it all very small and relaxed.

I personally dont believe 4 is too young to jump at all, especially if you go to venues where you're jumping on a nice soft surface. I think jumping 4yo's over bigger heights is wrong though, as a 4yo I would expect to jump max 80cm by the end of their 4th year. I know obviously BS they jump much bigger, I wouldn't. It's really up to you.

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

Clearly these are rubbish horses! Hope the owners learnt their lessons and bough better horses that don't break so soon. Tsk! Some people have no idea!!!

:p

FfionWinnie

Visit site

How could a postmortem show a horse had been hunted and whether that caused the damage found?