when is he too old??

Mr Brown

New User
Visit site
Hi, my horse is now almost 30 now although he is perfectly healthy and well but I was wondering what sort of things people think is suitable to do with him???

also when do you think it is too old to jump and do long rides with him?

any opinions would be great as i don't want to push him but i also don't want him to become a field horse so to speak. thanks :)

Domirati

Visit site
He wull tell you when he doesn't want to be ridden or jumped - and when he does you should listen to him.

Agree totally. I asked the vet with my old boy and he said "you will know" and I did. It broke my heart when I stopped riding him, i'd had him for 21 years by then, but when I got on, rode down the drive and he turned himself round and came back I knew the time was right. He had a happy 2 years full retirement in the field before we lost him. You know your horse better than anyone, do what he is happy doing.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Difficult question because, as with all other mammals, what is "old" for one is not for another.

We have much better management of "oldies" these days and generally horses are lower mileage than in the old days.

If you don't trust your own judgment, ask a knowledgeable friend to check if they feel your horse is comfortable with what you are asking him to do or have an annual "MOT" with your vet so that you can be sure he is comfortable with his workload.

If it helps, I used to ride a 28-year-old ex race horse who was once described as a "nice youngster" by an old chap passing when we were hacking. He was a picture of health and the only thing that had changed with age was that he had stopped trying to rear when very excited and merely "sat down" at the back instead.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
As others have said generally they do let you know and when you know a horse well you sense it.

However I think you have to bear in mind that the body doesn't always keep up with the mind. Tendons are more prone to injury in older horses and often an older horse will have poorer muscles to support or be a bit less nimble. I would not do some of the gallops I used to on my 20yr old WB because he gets over-excited and wants to go too fast. I worry that he will have a heart attack or pull a tendon even if he thinks he can do it! :D But overall regular, sensible exercise is great for keeping them healthy and strong.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I keep wondering about that. I have a 26yo. He has been on riding holidays with me and my friends the last two summers and done great but I keep wondering if he'll be up to doing it this year. I think he will think he is but I worry it is unfair to ask him.

Luci07

Visit site
Better to keep going and keep the horse muscled. They will lose muscle mass quickly if just in a field.

Just apply common sense, which you have doing if you have a 30 year old horse. Would probably give the Golden Button ride a miss !

lelly

Visit site
I would be slightly worried about jumping a 30 year old. I might be a bit soft but a nice bit of gentle hacking should keep him ticking over. You would need to keep up a level of fitness even for hacking. It wouldn't be good to leave him in the field for a week or two and then do a five mile hack. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. Good luck with him and well done for keeping your old friend going and happy.

SpringArising

Visit site
Better to keep going and keep the horse muscled. They will lose muscle mass quickly if just in a field.

Just apply common sense, which you have doing if you have a 30 year old horse. Would probably give the Golden Button ride a miss !

I agree with this.

My old pony is going on 28/29 and is as fit as a fiddle! She's still being hacked, schooled lightly by the kids who ride at the farm and also pops the occasional jump. Passing her on to a new home so she could be kept fit was the best thing we could have done for her. She always passes her routine vet-checks with flying colours. I'm a huge believer in keeping older horses in regular work (tailored to them) and keeping their minds active.

nianya

Visit site
I rode my 26 year old regularly until she wasn't capable. I gave her a lot more choice in what we did though, so if she'd rather go around the log than jump it we went around. But we did trail rides and some light schooling that was more for me than her. Even though I know now that she was struggling at the time (she was so stoic) she was never truly happy to be left behind and would've hated being retired. Just pay attention to him, and trust him when he says "I don't want to do this".

Evie91

Visit site
Mine retired at 22 - she used to be forward going, but slowed to the point the she was a kick along (hacking). She started going to the back of the stable when I bought tack (never done before). She had regular back, saddle and teeth checked so knew this wasn't the issue. Even on short rides she never seemed to enjoy herself, didn't even speed up on the way home (so knew she wasn't having me on!). I'd given up schooling and jumping probably the year before.
It's so important to know your own horse, she told me loud and clear she'd had enough and I listened. Advice was to keep riding (for muscle tone, arthritis) but I just couldn't do it as left us both feeling miserable!
Now fully retired. Your horse will tell you op just be sure to listen :)

hoggedmane

Visit site
My mare is 24 and although we have slowed down a little she loves sponsored rides and jumps like a stag still. I don't jump her as much as I used to but you would still think she was a youngster (I have been asked if she is a baby in the last few years due to her prancing excited behaviour).
I had a mare just like her a few years ago and at 23 she won the riding club cup for the horse with the most points for the year. She eventually retired at 28 when she started to not want to jump and was less happy about hacking. She died in the field within a year of a heart attack so it was definitely the right decision. I knew when it was time with her - I hope I do with my current mare.